Can conservation principles solve the killer asteroid problem?

• Thread starter jahlex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asteroid
In summary, a problem arises when NASA detects a killer asteroid headed for Earth, with a mass much smaller than Earth's but still potentially catastrophic. The asteroid's trajectory puts it on a path to just barely miss the Earth's surface, but there is uncertainty about whether it will actually collide or not. There are various principles to approach this type of problem, such as conservation of linear momentum and conservation of angular momentum, but the conservation of mechanical energy may be the most applicable in this scenario. However, even with these principles, there is still uncertainty about whether the asteroid will graze or strike the Earth.
jahlex
The problem:

Killer Asteroid
Some data:
Mass of Earth = 6.0 x 1024 kg
Radius of Earth = 6.4 x 10³ km
Gravitational constant G = 6.67 x 10−11N-m/kg²

You receive an urgent phone call from NASA. Their scientists have just detected an asteroid headed for Earth. Its mass is 6 x 10 15 kg, which is only one billionth the mass of Earth, but even so, larger than the dinosaur extinction asteroid. The asteroid is 4.5 x 109km away from Earth’s center and is moving at 2.5 x 104m/s. The asteroid’s present heading gives it a straight-line trajectory (i.e. its path if there was no gravity) that would miss Earth’s surface by only 3200 km. Quick! Will the asteroid strike Earth?

My problem with this problem:

What my professor started to do on the board was ignored the v0 = 2.5 x 104m/s parameter provided and said there was some initial velocity v you could solve for such that the asteroid would just graze the surface of the Earth tangentially, and if v0 < v then the asteroid would collide with Earth but if v0 > v then the asteroid would fly into space. At this point I got a nosebleed and had to leave the classroom before seeing how he solved for v on the board.

I think we were supposed to use the three conservation principles to solve this type of problem (cons. of linear momentum, cons. of angular momentum, cons. of mechanical energy) but I don't see how it's possible to use the first two principles because there is a net force and there is a net torque (With the center of Earth as the origin). If you only set up a relationship with conservation of mechanical energy, then you can solve for a velocity of the asteroid at the surface of the Earth from the initial kinetic energy and the difference in potential energy, but there is no way to tell whether the asteroid would be grazing the surface or striking the surface.

I'm not really seeking a solution so much as principles by which to approach this species of problem because it seems that the conservation principles aren't enough. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds like you are ignoring the rest of the solar system. That's fine, if unrealistic. So you just have the asteroid and the earth. Since the asteroid is so small relative to the mass of the Earth you can assume the Earth is stationary. Relative to the center of the Earth the acceleration of the asteroid is directed to the center of the Earth and so is the radius vector. So, in fact, there is approximately no torque on the asteroid. Angular momentum of the asteroid is conserved. Use that.

Last edited:

What is a "Killer Asteroid"?

A killer asteroid refers to a large asteroid or comet that has the potential to cause significant destruction and loss of life if it were to impact Earth.

How big does an asteroid have to be to be considered a "Killer Asteroid"?

There is no specific size requirement for an asteroid to be considered a killer asteroid. However, typically, an asteroid with a diameter of 1 kilometer or larger is considered a potential threat to the Earth.

What are the potential consequences of a "Killer Asteroid" impact?

The potential consequences of a killer asteroid impact include widespread devastation, tsunamis, and global climate change due to the amount of debris and dust that would be thrown into the atmosphere. It could also lead to the extinction of various species, including humans.

What is being done to prevent a "Killer Asteroid" impact?

Scientists and researchers are constantly monitoring the skies for any potential killer asteroids and are working on developing methods to deflect or destroy them before they reach Earth. Some proposed methods include using nuclear explosions or kinetic impactors to alter the asteroid's course.

What should we do if a "Killer Asteroid" is headed towards Earth?

If a killer asteroid is headed towards Earth, governments and organizations would likely issue evacuation orders and implement emergency plans. It is crucial to follow these instructions and seek shelter in designated safe zones to increase the chances of survival.