Can Covalent Bonds form between atoms with no electrons?

In summary, Covalent Bonds form between atoms with similar electro-negativity and electrons, but if the atoms have no electrons, there is no stable bond. Additionally, if the valence electrons are removed from both atoms, a covalent bond cannot form between them due to repulsion between the bare nuclei.
CGandC

Homework Statement

I learned that Covalent Bonds form between different specific atoms ( with similar electro-negativity ) with electrons.

However, I wondered what type of bond would form between the different atoms if they had no electrons?

Also , if I have 2 atoms with similar electro-negativity , and let's say that I pull the valence electrons from both atoms, then would a covalent bond would still be able to form between the 2 atoms?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
An atom with no electrons is a bare nucleus. The positive charges on two bare nuclei repel, so there is no stable state where they exist at finite distance from one another.

Likes CGandC and Bystander

1. Can covalent bonds form between atoms with no electrons?

No, covalent bonds require the sharing of electrons between atoms in order to form a stable bond. Without any electrons, there is no way for the atoms to share electrons and form a bond.

2. What happens if an atom has no electrons to share in a covalent bond?

If an atom has no electrons to share, it will not be able to form a covalent bond. This can result in the atom being unstable and reactive, as it will try to gain electrons from other atoms to complete its outer electron shell.

3. Can atoms with incomplete outer electron shells form covalent bonds with each other?

Yes, atoms with incomplete outer electron shells can form covalent bonds with each other. This is because they can share their electrons with each other to complete their outer electron shells and form a stable bond.

4. Is it possible for atoms with no electrons to form other types of bonds?

Yes, atoms with no electrons can form other types of bonds such as ionic bonds. In an ionic bond, one atom will donate its electrons to another atom, resulting in a positively charged ion and a negatively charged ion that are attracted to each other.

5. Why do atoms with no electrons tend to be highly reactive?

Atoms with no electrons tend to be highly reactive because they are constantly seeking to gain electrons to complete their outer electron shells. This makes them more likely to form bonds with other atoms in order to gain electrons and become more stable.