Electronegativity / predicting structure / ranking order

In summary: Just a small correction, for CH4 the bond would be considered non-polar covalent, not polar covalent.
Physics345

Homework Statement

a) Calculate the differences in electronegativity between the elements in each of these compounds.
I)CaBr2
II) Na3N
III) CH4
b) Predict whether each of these compounds would be an ionic or a molecular compound and justify each prediction.
c) Rank the bonds in these compounds in order of decreasing ionic character. Where do we always find compounds containing metals, in this ranking order?

Homework Equations

none.

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
i) CaBr_2
∆EN=2.9-1.0
=1.9
ii) Na_3 N
∆EN=3.0-0.9
=2.1
iii) CH_4
∆EN=2.5-2.2
=0.3
b)
i) CaBr_2
∆EN>1.7 ∴The compound is ionic and has a non-polar covalent bond
ii) Na_3 N
∆EN>1.7 ∴The compound is ionic and has a non-polar covalent bond
iii) CH_4
1.7>∆EN>0 ∴The compound is molecular and has a polar covalent bond
c)
Rank 1: Na_3 N Most Ionic Character
Rank 2: CaBr_2 2nd most Ionic Character
Rank 3: CH_4 Least Ionic Character
We find metals in compounds that form Ionic bonds when non-metals meet metals Ions form leading to one atom completely taking the electrons from the other atom since one of the atoms want to take atoms to complete their octet. This usually occurs with halogens in group 17 since they desperately want to complete their valence shell since every atom wants to be like the noble gases.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ionic compounds have ionic bonds, not covalent bonds. The electonegativity difference between C and H is small enough that most would consider the C-H bond to be a non-polar covalent bond (as opposed to something like an O-H bond or N-H bond, which would be considered polar covalent).

In terms of electonegativity difference (from largest difference to smallest difference), you would have:
Ionic > polar covalent > non-polar covalent

Likes Physics345
I made some adjustments according to your comments:

b)
i) CaBr_2
∆EN>1.7 ∴The compound has an ionic bond
ii) Na_3 N
∆EN>1.7 ∴The compound has an ionic bond
iii) CH_4
0.4>∆EN>0 ∴The compound is molecular and has a non polar covalent bond
c)
Rank 1: Na_3 N Most Ionic Character
Rank 2: CaBr_2 2nd most Ionic Character
Rank 3: CH_4 Least Ionic Character ( non polar covalent bond)

What do you think? did I address the issues, sorry I'm still learning I'm very new to chemistry.

Looks good.

Likes Physics345

1. What is electronegativity?

Electronegativity is a measure of an atom's ability to attract electrons towards itself in a chemical bond. It is affected by factors such as the number of protons in the nucleus, the distance between the nucleus and the valence electrons, and the shielding effect of inner electrons.

2. How is electronegativity used to predict molecular structure?

Electronegativity differences between atoms in a molecule can determine the type of bond that will form between them. If the difference is large, an ionic bond will form, while a small difference will result in a covalent bond. This information can then be used to predict the overall shape and geometry of the molecule.

3. What is the most common method for ranking elements by electronegativity?

The most commonly used method for ranking elements by electronegativity is the Pauling scale, named after the American chemist Linus Pauling. This scale assigns a numerical value to each element, with fluorine having the highest electronegativity of 4.0.

4. How does electronegativity affect the polarity of a molecule?

The difference in electronegativity between atoms in a molecule can create a polarity, or uneven distribution of charge. The atom with the higher electronegativity will have a partial negative charge, while the other atom will have a partial positive charge. This polarity can affect the physical and chemical properties of the molecule.

5. Can electronegativity be used to compare elements from different groups and periods on the periodic table?

Electronegativity values can be used to compare elements from different groups and periods on the periodic table, but they should be used with caution. Electronegativity can vary depending on the chemical environment and bonding partners of an element, so comparisons between elements in different contexts may not always be accurate.