Can Crafts Reach 2c Relative to Me?

• I
  • Thread starter Abbott287287
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relative
In summary, if two objects are moving away from each other at a relative speed of less than ##c##, they will separate. However, if the objects are moving away from each other at a relative speed of more than ##c##, they will still separate, but the separation will be slower.
Abbott287287
TL;DR Summary
Separation speed
Simple question for you guys. Thanks in advance for the help.

If you are standing on earth with a watch and hypothetical crafts to your left and right instantly take off 180 degrees apart at the speed of light, at the 1 second mark on YOUR watch they will be 372,000 miles apart. From YOUR perspective, it seems they should be moving apart at 2c. You measure the distance they traveled at its exactly as above. You were stationary and your watch clicked one second. It seems they had to be moving apart at 2c, but that would be the upper limit as to how fast they can move away from each other from your perspective. No laws are being broken as each craft is moving at c, not above it. From each crafts perspective I know it would be totally different. Is this correct or not? If its wrong, please explain how.
VERY much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's correct, the upper limit for separation speed is ##2c##. Note that a massive spacecraft can't actually reach ##c## in your reference frame, but can get arbitrarily close to ##c##.

• Love
Likes FactChecker, Dale and Abbott287287
Much appreciated. Its being argued on a different forum. :smile:

Abbott287287 said:
and right instantly take off 180 degrees apart at the speed of light,
That’s not possible, but we can fix this without changing the basic sense of your question by specifying that their speed relative to you is not ##c## but something like ##.99c##.

If one is moving to left at speed ##v\lt c## and the other is moving to the right at the same speed, you will observe them separating at speed ##2v \lt 2c##.

However, their speed relative to one another will be ##2v/(1+v^2)## which is less than ##c##. Google for “relativistic velocity addition” to see how I get that result.

(And note that I am measuring time in seconds and distances in light-seconds so that ##c=1##. This is a handy and very common, almost universal, trick for not cluttering the equations up with a whole bunch of ##c## and ##c^2## factors)

Likes PeroK

1. Can crafts really reach 2c relative to me?

Yes, crafts can reach 2c relative to you. This is because the speed of light is the fastest speed possible and crafts can travel at this speed or close to it.

2. What does 2c relative to me mean?

2c relative to you means that the craft is moving at twice the speed of light compared to your stationary position. This is only possible in theory and not in reality.

3. How is the speed of light measured?

The speed of light is measured by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for light to travel that distance. This is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second.

4. Can any craft travel at the speed of light?

In theory, any craft with mass can travel at the speed of light. However, it would require an infinite amount of energy to accelerate an object with mass to the speed of light, making it impossible in reality.

5. What are the implications of a craft reaching 2c relative to me?

If a craft were to reach 2c relative to you, it would challenge our current understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It would also have significant consequences for time dilation and causality. However, as mentioned before, this is only possible in theory and not in reality.