Can Curves Live Out of Embedding Diagrams?

In summary, the embedding diagram is a well-known representation of the stress energy tensor curve in spacetime. It is possible to construct a map from a spherical metric to a cylindrical metric in order to create these diagrams. While it may seem that curves can exist outside of the diagrams, they actually only represent a 2-dimensional slice of the spacetime. Therefore, any curves that appear outside of the diagram are technically "off the edge of the map" and do not represent physical objects in the embedding space. It is possible to stack Flamm's paraboloids to create a (2+1)d spacetime diagram, but this is not considered an embedding and does not provide any additional information. Additionally, it is not possible to draw or visualize
LCSphysicist
The embedding diagram is well known for its qualitative representation of how the stress energy tensor curve the spacetime. We can construct a map from a general spherical metric to a cylindrical metric if we want to construct such diagrams.

Now, my confusion is if there exist curves out of the surface. It seems to me that curves can indeed exist out of the diagrams. Since they are only a 3D representation of the curvature of the spacetime, a curve living out of the surface does not means that it lives out the spacetime. Now, even so this line of thought seems right to me, i am not 100% of this!

For example, to construct a embbeding diagram for the Schwarzild metric, we do as follow:

Let ##\theta = \pi/2, dt = 0##

##ds^2_{\text{Schwazrchild}} = ds^2_{\text{cylinder}} = dr^2 + r^2 d\phi^2 + dz^2##

So we get ##r_{\text{Schwazrchild}} = r_{\text{cylinder}}##

And when we assume ##z=z(r)##, we can get a whole expression for ##z = z(r)## and then construct our embedding diagram.

But we assumed ##\theta = \pi/2##! So technically, curves can live out of it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Flamm's paraboloid is not an embedding of Schwarzschild spacetime. It's an embedding of a particular 2d spacelike slice of Schwarzschild spacetime. So timelike curves in the original spacetime would only appear as dots if they intersect it at all and, indeed, only spacelike curves that lie in the plane you happen to pick would appear as lines.

So you can certainly have curves in spacetime that lie outside the slice you chose to represent. I don't think they'd appear elsewhere in your diagram, though. They're just "off the edge of the map".

Likes LCSphysicist
LCSphysicist said:
they are only a 3D representation of the curvature of the spacetime
No, they are a 3D representation of the curvature of a 2-dimensional "slice" out of a spacelike surface of constant time. In the case of the Flamm paraboloid, the embedding diagram usually seen for Schwarzschild spacetime, the 2-dimensional "slice" is the equatorial plane ##\theta = \pi / 2## of a spacelike surface of constant Schwarzschild coordinate time.

LCSphysicist said:
So technically, curves can live out of it right?
It depends on what you mean. If you mean, are there curves in the spacetime that are not represented in the embedding diagram, of course there are, lots of them. If you mean, are there curves in the 3-d spacelike surface of constant time hat are not represented in the embedding diagram, of course that's true to.

But if you mean, are there curves in the 3-d "space" of the embedding diagram, that do not lie in the 2-surface represented in that diagram, but which represent curves in the spacetime (or in the 3-d spacelike surface of constant time), then no, there are none. The 3-d "space" of the diagram is unphysical; only the 2-surface represented in that diagram represents anything physical.

I suppose it's possible to "stack" Flamm's paraboloids to produce a (2+1)d spacetime diagram. I don't think that's an embedding any more, and probably no more helpful than just mapping Schwarzschild ##r,\phi,t## coordinates to Euclidean ##r,\phi,z## ones, but it could be done. All lines that lie in the equatorial plane (spacelike, timelike and null) would appear on the map.

Ibix said:
I suppose it's possible to "stack" Flamm's paraboloids to produce a (2+1)d spacetime diagram.
No, because you would need at least a 4-dimensional embedding space and we can't either draw or visualize such a thing.

Ibix said:
I don't think that's an embedding any more
It would have to be, because you need an embedding space in which to draw the Flamm paraboloids. Otherwise you don't have a diagram.

1. Can curves exist outside of an embedding diagram?

Yes, curves can exist outside of an embedding diagram. An embedding diagram is simply a visual representation of a curve in a specific space, but the curve itself can exist independently of the diagram.

2. How do curves behave when they are not in an embedding diagram?

Curves behave according to their mathematical properties and equations, regardless of whether they are depicted in an embedding diagram or not. However, their behavior may appear differently in different spaces.

3. Can curves be accurately represented in a 2-dimensional embedding diagram?

It depends on the complexity of the curve and the chosen scale of the embedding diagram. Some curves, such as fractals, cannot be accurately represented in a 2-dimensional diagram. However, simpler curves can be accurately depicted in a 2-dimensional space.

4. Is it possible for curves to exist in higher dimensions than we can visualize?

Yes, it is possible for curves to exist in higher dimensions than we can visualize. Just as we can represent a 3-dimensional curve in a 2-dimensional embedding diagram, there are mathematical techniques for representing higher-dimensional curves in lower-dimensional spaces.

5. How do embedding diagrams help us understand curves?

Embedding diagrams provide a visual representation of curves, allowing us to better understand their properties and behavior in a specific space. They also allow us to compare and contrast different curves and their relationships to each other.