Can Dogs Develop an Addiction to Toads?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, Laura Mirsch recalls that her cocker spaniel, Lady, would wander the area, disoriented and withdrawn, soporific and glassy-eyed. Late one night, after putting the dogs out, Lady wouldn't come in, and when Laura approached her, she looked up at her with an open mouth and threw up a toad. It turned out the toads were toxic, and if licked, the fluids on their skin provided a hallucinogenic effect. The Mirsch family struggled to stop Lady from licking the toads, but it was not easy. Eventually, Lady grew out of her addiction and is still alive today.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6376594
"We noticed Lady spending an awful lot of time down by the pond in our backyard," Laura Mirsch recalls.

Lady would wander the area, disoriented and withdrawn, soporific and glassy-eyed.

"Then, late one night after I'd put the dogs out, Lady wouldn't come in," Laura Mirsch says. "She finally staggered over to me from the cattails. She looked up at me, leaned her head over and opened her mouth like she was going to throw up, and out plopped this disgusting toad."

It turned out the toads were toxic -- and, if licked, the fluids on their skin provided a hallucinogenic effect.

What followed was the Mirsch family's quest to stop their cocker spaniel from indulging herself. But it wasn't easy. Lady was persistent, and resourceful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I had a bad case of toad addiction a few years ago.
Fortunately, I grew out of it, thanks to PF. :smile:

Someone should have told them about this group.
http://www.toadlickersanonymous.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
damn! I clicked the link. :redface: :blushing:

Math Is Hard said:
damn! I clicked the link. :redface: :blushing:
I clicked it twice..

arildno said:
That's just trading one addition for another. PF often leaves me "disoriented and withdrawn, soporific and glassy-eyed", especially late at night.

arildno said:
I clicked it twice..
:smile: :smile:

To explain her addiction we have to assume that, because of their hallucinogenic properties, these toads, after licking, were transformed into very handsome dogs named "Prince" in Lady's eyes. We have to hope human women don't start going around kissing these toads.

zoobyshoe said:
To explain her addiction we have to assume that, because of their hallucinogenic properties, these toads, after licking, were transformed into very handsome dogs named "Prince" in Lady's eyes. We have to hope human women don't start going around kissing these toads.
Maybe I should feed one to twisting_edge.

Evo said:
Maybe I should feed one to twisting_edge.
After a comment like that my nieces usually wind up sitting next to me on the couch while I brush their hair and they tell me how much of a so-and-so the guy is and then we go to Sonic or a record store (if they're under 21) or a dive beer joint and play pool for and hour or two. One time a niece and I went to a Kmart parking lot after Sonic and I taught her how to drive a 5-speed. (kinda) Neither of had laughed like that in a long time and its still a good memory for both of us. People were looking at us like we were both crazy and after they figured it out they just smiled, waved, and shook their head.

...so, which it it Evo? Sonic, beer joint, or speed bumps in a parking lot?

Echo 6 Sierra said:
...so, which it it Evo? Sonic, beer joint, or speed bumps in a parking lot?
I've decided to give up my pursuit. If he's that adamant about being alone, I can't change that.

WOO-HOO! SHE CHOOSES BEER JOINT! Your first stagger is on me. Anyone have quarters for the pool table? Me and you vs. MIH and TSU, we break, loser buys the next round, no drinks on the table.

Echo 6 Sierra said:
WOO-HOO! SHE CHOOSES BEER JOINT! Your first stagger is on me. Anyone have quarters for the pool table? Me and you vs. MIH and TSU, we break, loser buys the next round, no drinks on the table.
You're kidding, right? Tsu and I would kick your little butts!

Math Is Hard said:
You're kidding, right? Tsu and I would kick your little butts!

HARD! :smile:

Thats just funny to read.

BOINK! I steek you een pockit and use your freend MIH ford making leetle chalks cue. Also I'm tall enough to not need a rack on none but a snooker table. And if all that dosen't work I'll just hypnomotize y'all with my pretty blue eyes. Me=flutter-flutter, y'all ladies=swoon.:approve:

huh-huh...huhuhuhuhu...she said hard.

franznietzsche said:
Thats just funny to read.
ooh! another Franz sighting! :smile:

arildno said:

Me, too.

Not me! :smile: :smile: :smile:

1. What is "One dog's toad addiction"?

"One dog's toad addiction" is a hypothetical scenario in which a dog becomes addicted to toads. It is often used as a metaphor to discuss addiction and the impact it can have on individuals.

2. Can dogs actually become addicted to toads?

While there have been rare cases of dogs becoming addicted to certain substances, such as chocolate or marijuana, there is no scientific evidence to suggest that dogs can become addicted to toads.

3. What are the potential dangers of a dog consuming toads?

Depending on the type of toad, the dog's size, and the amount consumed, a dog may experience a range of symptoms including drooling, vomiting, difficulty breathing, seizures, and even death. It is important to seek veterinary care immediately if a dog consumes a toad.

4. How can I prevent my dog from consuming toads?

The best way to prevent your dog from consuming toads is to supervise them while they are outside and keep them on a leash when walking. It is also important to remove any potential sources of toads, such as standing water or piles of debris, from your yard.

5. What should I do if I suspect my dog is addicted to toads?

If you suspect your dog may be showing signs of addiction, it is important to seek help from a veterinarian or a professional animal behaviorist. They can provide guidance and support to help address the underlying issues and improve your dog's overall well-being.

Back