Can Electromagnetic Welding Tables Improve Welding Accuracy and Efficiency?

In summary, it is possible to turn a 20 square foot welding table into an electromagnet, but it is not easy and may cause interference with the weld arc.
bigcarbonfoot
Is it possible to turn my 20 square foot welding table into an elctromagnet? I weld steel cut nails into artwork. The nails lay flat on the steel table, but the welding process sometimes "shifts" the nail out of position during the spot weld. This error causes the process to be shut down, and then phisically remove the welded nail. I thought that if the table were a large electromagnet, the steel nails would stay in place as I weld. Considering that the welding table is grounded to the welding machine, does this complicate the matter?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem, as long as the electromagnet is isolated from your work. Permanent magnets are already used as temporary clamps for welding, so there should be no problems using a different source of magnetism.

Possible shure, but magnetizing your mechanical workspace may cause frustration for later projects. Every fricking object will stick to the table.

You could rather magnetize your nails only.

electromagnet for this application would need to be on for an hour at a time. Could someone propose some specs for a 20 s.f. welding table?

You might want to look into electric discharge welding. This method of welding is instant. You attach one terminal to the (conductive) work piece, and the other terminal to your cut nail. Then, wearing goggles, touch the parts together and wait for the shower of sparks to settle. Done.

I have used the http://www.dcccorporation.com/hotspot2.html" for this purpose.

Otto

Last edited by a moderator:
I assume what you want to happen is place an electromagnet beneath a sheet of steel. Regardless of what anyone says, this is going to prove problematic. I won't go into the "whys", just trust me when I tell you that the "practical" solution you are looking for is not "obvious". Can you achieve what you want? YES, ...can you do it as easily as putting a charged coil under your plate steel top, NO. Any way, if this continues, the real physics pros will define your new table-top, I am just telling you the simple solution you are looking for does not exist.

Fish

fish, thanks for your response. I'm using a wire feed welder (grounded to the welding table). My welding table is actually an 18 gage steel door. So the working distance between the proposed electromagnets and the stock that I am welding would be approx 1/16" (18 gage) sheet metal. On a similar application, one of my other welding tables is approx 3/8''cast steel.

What is an electromagnetic welding table?

An electromagnetic welding table is a specialized piece of equipment used in welding processes. It consists of a flat metal surface with an array of small magnets embedded beneath it. These magnets can be turned on and off to create a strong magnetic field, which is used to hold metal pieces in place during the welding process.

How does an electromagnetic welding table work?

The table works by using the principle of electromagnetism. When an electric current is passed through the magnets embedded in the table, they create a magnetic field. This field attracts and holds metal objects in place, allowing for precise and stable welding.

What are the benefits of using an electromagnetic welding table?

There are several benefits to using an electromagnetic welding table. Firstly, it provides a strong and stable hold on metal pieces, making it easier to weld them accurately. Additionally, the magnetic field can be adjusted to fit different metal shapes and sizes. It also eliminates the need for clamps or other holding devices, saving time and effort.

Are there any safety concerns with using an electromagnetic welding table?

As with all welding processes, there are some safety concerns to keep in mind when using an electromagnetic welding table. The strong magnetic field can interfere with electronic devices, so it's important to keep them away from the welding area. Also, care should be taken when handling metal objects near the magnets, as they can become stuck and difficult to remove.

Can an electromagnetic welding table be used for all types of welding?

While an electromagnetic welding table can be used for most types of welding, it is best suited for smaller and more precise welding jobs. For larger and heavier metal pieces, other holding methods may be more suitable. It's important to choose the right welding table for the specific job at hand.