Can electron beam accelerate electron capture beta decay?

In summary, an electron beam with the appropriate energy may accelerate electron capture beta decay. However, this is unlikely to result in significant reaction rates. There is a short lifetime transition that is vulnerable to perturbation.
kiwaho
Some nuclides undergo decay of electron capture or beta plus.
Can electron beam with appropriate energy accelerate electron capture beta decay?
Same scenario: If I am looking for something, and my friend kindly hands it over to me, then I say thanks, because my seeking time is shorten.

Physics news on Phys.org
Electron capture is teh capturing of K electron by nucleus. That electron may be replaced by the slowed down electron of beta ray. In that sense it may accelerate. But if you think the beta ray electron getting directly taken by nucleus for that the electron must have very huge KE of the order of MeV then electron will be traveling almost with speed of light. Use Heisenberg principle and think about it.

Let'sthink said:
Electron capture is teh capturing of K electron by nucleus. That electron may be replaced by the slowed down electron of beta ray. In that sense it may accelerate. But if you think the beta ray electron getting directly taken by nucleus for that the electron must have very huge KE of the order of MeV then electron will be traveling almost with speed of light. Use Heisenberg principle and think about it.
The inner diameter of electron shell is still too large with comparison to nucleus size, but artificial electron beam can penetrate the "vast" space anywhere between the inner K shell and nucleus, so I guess more chance for electron capture.
The kinetic energy does not have to be too high, maybe only (2~100) * (K shell electron binding energy), that may be far less than 500keV

The reaction ##e^- + X \to Y+\nu_e## is certainly possible, but I doubt you would get notable reaction rates with realistic setups. Typical electron capture lifetimes are of the order of days to millions of years, with a significant fraction of the wavefunction of the innermost electrons in the nucleus. Compare this to the probability that an electron in your beam goes through a nucleus, and the timescale of this passage.

mfb said:
The reaction ##e^- + X \to Y+\nu_e## is certainly possible, but I doubt you would get notable reaction rates with realistic setups. Typical electron capture lifetimes are of the order of days to millions of years, with a significant fraction of the wavefunction of the innermost electrons in the nucleus. Compare this to the probability that an electron in your beam goes through a nucleus, and the timescale of this passage.
I wish find some literature to address my speculation, but Google gets nothing pertinent. So why not setup a project to deeply investigate on it?
The K shell electron wavefunction must have very small distribution around nucleus, because the distance is in pico-meter level, and nucleus size in fermi-meter level.
Even low energy incident electron (less than the binding energy) may shove the K electron more closer to nucleus.
If I mentor a PhD student and have good equipment, I will assign this theme for his or her thesis.

kiwaho said:
The K shell electron wavefunction must have very small distribution around nucleus, because the distance is in pico-meter level, and nucleus size in fermi-meter level.
Below a picometer for heavy elements. Sure, the fraction is not large, but the fraction of your electron beam hitting a nucleus is even smaller.
kiwaho said:
If I mentor a PhD student and have good equipment, I will assign this theme for his or her thesis.
Poor PhD student. On the other hand, if a PhD candidate does not spend the 5 minutes to see that this project doesn't work before working on it for years, he should not get a PhD anyway.

Likes Garlic
mfb said:
Below a picometer for heavy elements. Sure, the fraction is not large, but the fraction of your electron beam hitting a nucleus is even smaller.Poor PhD student. On the other hand, if a PhD candidate does not spend the 5 minutes to see that this project doesn't work before working on it for years, he should not get a PhD anyway.
Imagining the electron flying by a nucleus, though not exactly hit, the attraction between nucleus and electron does force them meet or divert, or at least temporarily bind it in a fractional quantum orbit, e.g. 1/2, 1/3, etc. just like unverified hydrino, then probably catch it because of higher wavefunction overlap.
So it is hard to say lesser probability then normal K electron, all we need is the experimental data to prove it.

kiwaho said:
a fractional quantum orbit, e.g. 1/2, 1/3, etc. just like unverified hydrino

Sorry. No such things.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sorry. No such things.
I also think no such things, but there should exist very short lifetime transition, because the centrifugal must be equal to attraction force, though angular momentum only ℏ/2, ℏ/3, ... ℏ/n. The fractional angular momentum is never stable, unless metastable, because such small angular momentum is vulnerable to perturbation.
After the transition, to be or not to be captured are both possible, just like Vanadium 50 can both β+/β-/EC decay.
Fractional quantum number does exist in Hall effect, maybe the quasiparticle or low temperature is immune to perturbation.

Last edited:
K electron has total negative energy and is quite different from the incident electron which has only KE. So in order that this electron has sufficient amplitude inside the nucleus its energy need to be very high and can be estimated using Heisenberg principle. We already have lot of difficulties in understanding classical physics and quantum physics. Do not try to invent impossible things by the flight of your imagination. And finally kindly avoid the term centrifugal from this will confuse and other readers. One can understand all possible things without using that avoidable term!

kiwaho said:
I also think no such things, but there should exist very short lifetime transition, because the centrifugal must be equal to attraction force, though angular momentum only ℏ/2, ℏ/3, ... ℏ/n. The fractional angular momentum is never stable, unless metastable, because such small angular momentum is vulnerable to perturbation.
After the transition, to be or not to be captured are both possible, just like Vanadium 50 can both β+/β-/EC decay.
Fractional quantum number does exist in Hall effect, maybe the quasiparticle or low temperature is immune to perturbation.
This is just nonsense. We don't discuss nonsense here.

Likes kiwaho

1. What is electron capture beta decay?

Electron capture beta decay is a type of nuclear decay where an electron from the innermost electron shell is captured by the nucleus, combining with a proton to form a neutron and releasing a neutrino. This results in a decrease in atomic number and an increase in atomic mass.

2. How does an electron beam accelerate electron capture beta decay?

An electron beam can accelerate electron capture beta decay by providing a high-energy electron to the nucleus, causing the electron capture process to occur more quickly. This is known as electron beam induced electron capture.

3. What are the benefits of using an electron beam to accelerate electron capture beta decay?

The use of an electron beam can greatly increase the rate of electron capture beta decay, allowing for faster and more efficient production of specific isotopes. It also reduces the need for large and expensive particle accelerators.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with using an electron beam to accelerate electron capture beta decay?

There are some potential risks, such as the production of high amounts of radiation and the creation of unwanted isotopes. However, these risks can be mitigated through careful control and monitoring of the electron beam.

5. How is electron capture beta decay used in scientific research?

Electron capture beta decay is used in various fields of research, such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and material science. It can be used to produce specific isotopes for medical and industrial purposes, as well as to study the structure of nuclei. It also plays a critical role in understanding the formation and evolution of stars.