Can electrons knock out neutrons?

In summary: A million volts would be quite excessive for commercial use, but I guess it could be done. What is your take on the feasibility of using high voltage for commercial purposes?
Murdock
I know that sufficiently energetic protons and photons (1.7MeV) can knock a neutron out of a beryllium nucleus. Can an electron do the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
In principle yes, but I would expect that the process is very unlikely as the neutron does not have a (net) charge.

What do you think the probability of it occurring would be compared to a a proton or gamma ray doing the same?

I don't know, but I guess someone studied it somewhere.
Why do you ask?

I was wondering because a commonly used neutron source is to use high voltages to accelerate protons into a target to produce neutrons for breeding medical isotopes. It just seemed to me you should be able to skip the "middle man" and get a higher efficiency out of it.

How do you skip something if you replace protons by electrons?
Protons interact with neutrons via the strong interaction, that makes the process much more likely.

Likes Murdock
Interesting question since photons don't represent a net charge or capture mechanism.
Then again, I don't know if acceleration process is simple and easy when you have to deliver almost 2 MeV.

2 MeV is possible with DC acceleration. With protons you can even save 1 MV of high voltage because you can start with negatively charged ions and use the acceleration voltage twice.

mfb,
Agreed. Back in the days Van De Grafs were used, millions of volts were routinely developed. Then again, they were pressed into using high pressure containment to mitigate arcing. It does beg the question, what is a reasonable voltage for commercial use?

I don't know if commercial applications use DC accelerators, but I know those do exist in this energy range.

Mike_In_Plano said:
mfb,
Agreed. Back in the days Van De Grafs were used, millions of volts were routinely developed. Then again, they were pressed into using high pressure containment to mitigate arcing. It does beg the question, what is a reasonable voltage for commercial use?

Hmpf! I'm sitting in the control room of a Van de Graaff accelerator that is in use right now. "Back in the days" indeed.

Likes vanhees71 and Drakkith

Related to Can electrons knock out neutrons?

1. Can electrons really knock out neutrons?

Yes, electrons can knock out neutrons in certain situations. This is known as the process of neutron decay or beta decay.

2. How does the process of electron knocking out neutrons work?

Electrons, being negatively charged particles, interact with neutrons, which have no charge. This interaction can cause a neutron to turn into a proton, releasing an electron and an anti-neutrino in the process.

3. What are the implications of electrons knocking out neutrons?

This process can have important implications in nuclear reactions and decay processes. It can also help scientists understand the structure of atoms and the behavior of subatomic particles.

4. Can electrons knock out more than one neutron at a time?

Yes, in certain nuclear reactions, electrons can knock out multiple neutrons at once. This is known as multi-neutron emission.

5. Is the process of electron knocking out neutrons common?

The process occurs naturally in certain unstable isotopes, but it is not a common occurrence in everyday life. It is more commonly observed in laboratory experiments and nuclear reactions.