Can Fick's Law Help Calculate Diffusion Time for a Spherical Balloon?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Fick's Law of diffusion to calculate the time needed for a spherical balloon with radius R to become R/2 due to the diffusion of nitrogen gas inside. The conversation also suggests considering the steady-state assumption and the possibility of using Fick's Second Law. However, there is a lack of information provided and further research may be necessary.
Hilarycheung
How to calculate the time needed for a perfectly spherical balloon with radius R to become R/2 due to diffusion of the gas inside, which is assumed to be nitrogen, by using Fick's Law of diffusion. Let the Young's Modulus be E.

Fick's First law: J=-D∂C/∂x

the change in pressure result to the change of the thickness of the balloon surface, which implies the diffuse distance will change, but i have difficulty on linking this together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you assume the diffusion is really slow so that it's almost steady state? Then the concentration gradient inside the balloon wall will be a straight line joining the outside concentration of gas (constant) with the inside concentration of gas (is it constant?). As time passes, the wall thickens and the slope, controlled by those two fixed points, reduces so the diffusion rate reduces. If the density of the balloon wall is changing then maybe D is also a function of time?

Fick's first law is also formulated in terms of difference in pressure through a polymer of given permeability, just fyi.

This is not really my area but since no one answered, I thought I'd add a little and then ask you the questions :) I also think if the steady-state assumption can't be made, you'll have to look at Fick's second law but I think that is probably much more complicated than is intended for this question.

Thank you for your replying=)
i think there are too little information given, i should have done more research.

Related to Can Fick's Law Help Calculate Diffusion Time for a Spherical Balloon?

What is Fick's First Law of diffusion?

Fick's First Law of diffusion states that the rate of diffusion of a substance is directly proportional to the concentration gradient of that substance.

What is Fick's Second Law of diffusion?

Fick's Second Law of diffusion states that the rate of change of concentration at a particular point is proportional to the second derivative of concentration with respect to distance.

What is the significance of Fick's Laws of diffusion?

Fick's Laws of diffusion are important in understanding the movement of substances in various systems, such as in biological processes or in material science. They provide a mathematical framework for predicting the rate of diffusion and understanding factors that affect it.

What are some factors that affect diffusion according to Fick's Laws?

Some factors that affect diffusion according to Fick's Laws include temperature, molecular weight, concentration gradient, and the medium through which diffusion is occurring.

Can Fick's Laws be applied to all types of diffusion?

Fick's Laws can be applied to simple diffusion, which is the movement of particles from an area of higher concentration to an area of lower concentration. However, they may not be applicable to other types of diffusion, such as facilitated diffusion or active transport, which involve the use of membrane proteins and energy.