Can Gamma Radiation Be Deflected by Matching Frequencies of Ionized Radiation?

• Thread starter naurob03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma
In summary, the experts discuss the interaction of gamma radiation with materials and the effectiveness of lead as a shield against gamma rays due to its density and absorption cross-section. They also mention that the absorption process involves the electrons rather than the nucleus and can be affected by factors such as the number of electrons and compton scattering.
naurob03
I am very uneducated in physics, however I did take a remote sensing course in college where we discussed EMR. My questions are the following: could gamma radiation be absorbed in a material and then transferred to another material or dispersed. I know that gamma radiation has no charge and is only slightly affected by magnetic fields. I know that a super dense material like lead is routinely used to absorb gamma radiation. If gamma radiation has properties of no mass or electrical charge yet are EMR then there has to be a way to match the frequency of this pre energy. Could a field of ionized radiation matching the frequency of gamma radiation deflect a jet of gamma radiation (deflect energy with energy). I may be way off on this so please bare with me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Gamma radiation is plain old light but at a much much higher frequency and carries with it much greater momentum and energy. The only way to shield from it is to absorb it. This is accomplished with lead or other dense materials because dense materials occupy the least amount of space, which is always a sought after property since designing a reactor or something similar with 100 ft of Styrofoam is just silly. (Just using it as an absurd example.)

Just like normal light you cannot shine two beams of light and deflect each other with them. EMR doesn't readily interact.

The effectiveness of lead as a gamma ray shield is more than just the density. The absorption cross-section increases with atomic number.

That as well. I believe it is because the extra charges help absorb the photons somehow?

Drakkith said:
That as well. I believe it is because the extra charges help absorb the photons somehow?

Drakkith,

EMR like gamma rays interact principally, with the ELECTRONS, not the nucleus for the most part.

The reason why the interaction cross-section goes up so strongly with Z, is that the greater the number of protons in the nucleus, the greater the number of electrons surrounding it.

Greg

There are two principal absorption processes for (nuclear) gamma rays, pair production and photoelectric effect.

Pair production involves the nucleus for conservation of momentum. The more massive the nucleus, the greater the cross-section. This applies only to gamma rays with energy > 1.022 Mev.

Photoelectric effect cross-section depends on how easily the electrons can be photo-ionized. Increasing the number of electrons per atom increases the chances per electron. This effect increases as the gamma ray energy decreases.

Morbius said:
Drakkith,

EMR like gamma rays interact principally, with the ELECTRONS, not the nucleus for the most part.

The reason why the interaction cross-section goes up so strongly with Z, is that the greater the number of protons in the nucleus, the greater the number of electrons surrounding it.

Greg

Yeah that's what I was saying.

mathman said:
There are two principal absorption processes for (nuclear) gamma rays, pair production and photoelectric effect.

mathman,

Although not directly an absorption process, another big interaction is Compton scatter.

The direction of the gamma is changed and it also loses energy in the process. Multiple Compton scatterings can deplete the energy of the gamma.

Greg

Morbius said:
mathman,

Although not directly an absorption process, another big interaction is Compton scatter.

The direction of the gamma is changed and it also loses energy in the process. Multiple Compton scatterings can deplete the energy of the gamma.

Greg
You're perfectly right. I just didn't bother mentioning it, since it is not absorption.

1. What is Gamma EMR?

Gamma EMR (Electromagnetic Radiation) is a type of high-energy radiation that is emitted from radioactive materials. It is a form of ionizing radiation and has the shortest wavelength and highest frequency among all types of EMR. It is commonly produced by nuclear reactions and can also be found in space.

2. Is Gamma EMR dangerous?

Yes, Gamma EMR can be dangerous as it has enough energy to damage living cells and cause mutations in DNA. Exposure to high levels of Gamma EMR can lead to serious health consequences, such as radiation sickness and an increased risk of cancer. However, in small doses, Gamma EMR is used in medical treatments and can be beneficial.

3. How is Gamma EMR different from other types of EMR?

Gamma EMR is different from other types of EMR in terms of its wavelength and frequency. It has the shortest wavelength and highest frequency, which means it has the most energy. This makes it more dangerous than other types of EMR, such as visible light, microwaves, and radio waves.

4. How is Gamma EMR used in medicine?

Gamma EMR is used in medicine for various purposes, including cancer treatment and imaging. In cancer treatment, high doses of Gamma EMR are directed at tumors to destroy cancer cells. In imaging, small amounts of Gamma EMR are used to create images of the inside of the body, which can help diagnose diseases and monitor treatment progress.

5. How can we protect ourselves from Gamma EMR?

To protect ourselves from Gamma EMR, we can limit our exposure to sources of radiation, such as nuclear power plants and radioactive materials. We can also use shielding materials, such as lead, to block Gamma EMR. When working in environments with potential Gamma EMR exposure, it is important to follow proper safety protocols and wear protective gear.