Can genetics and neuroscience unlock the secrets of intelligence in China?

In summary, this research is interesting. It is unclear if finding the "ingredients" for intelligence is going to be more complex than BGI Shenzen is imagining, but this can only contribute to our knowledge of genetics and neuroscience.
Galteeth
Seems to be a real thing.

http://blog.chron.com/sciguy/2011/07/china-at-work-on-finding-the-iq-genes-and-then-what/

This research is certainly interesting. I think it's about time someone started doing this kind of work. Personally, I think finding the "ingredients" for intelligence is going to be more complex then BGI Shenzen is imagining. Nevertheless, this can only contribute to our knowledge of genetics and neuroscience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=678891

Hopefully this thread plays out better (and by hopefully, I mean you either provide a legitimate source, or this thread will ultimately be locked down).

All predispositions of psychology or neuroscience (essentially biological psychology) aside, I did find this piece from my psychology textbook (Psychology 8th edition by David Meyers, for the interested) to be very accurate and well written:

Psychologists debate: Should we consider intelligence as one aptitude or many? As linked to cognitive speed? As neurologically measurable? Yet, intelligence experts do agree on this; Intelligence is a concept and not a "thing." When we refer to someone's "IQ" (short for intelligence quotient) as if it were a fixed and objectively real trait like height, we commit a reasoning error called reification- viewing an abstract, immaterial concept as if it were a concrete thing. To reify is to invent a concept, give it a name, and then convince ourselves that such a thing objectively exists in the world. When someone says, "She has an IQ of 120," they are reifying IQ; they are imagining IQ to be a thing one has, rather than a score once obtained on a particular intelligence test. One should say, "Her score on the intelligence test was 120."

Creating a populous that is more adept at taking IQ tests does not seem to be very beneficial to me; instead finding ways to improve work habits, motivation, and a desire to learn would, in my opinion, produce a more productive society than simply having fast puzzle solvers would.

And there has to be a source out there somewhere that isn't just a blog...

AnTiFreeze3 said:
And there has to be a source out there somewhere that isn't just a blog...
And not 2 years old.

What is the history of IQ research in China?

The history of IQ research in China can be traced back to the early 1900s when the first standardized intelligence tests were introduced by Western psychologists. However, it was not until the 1980s that China began to develop its own intelligence tests and conduct research on IQ. This was largely due to the influence of the Cultural Revolution and the belief that intelligence was not a fixed trait.

What are the main criticisms of IQ research in China?

One of the main criticisms of IQ research in China is that it is heavily influenced by cultural bias and may not accurately reflect the intelligence of the Chinese population. Another criticism is that the tests used in China may not be culturally appropriate or may favor certain groups over others. Additionally, there are concerns about the use of IQ tests as a measure of intelligence and the potential for discrimination based on test scores.

What is the current state of IQ research in China?

Currently, there is ongoing debate and controversy surrounding IQ research in China. While some researchers argue that IQ tests are a valid and reliable measure of intelligence, others criticize the tests for being culturally biased and not accurately reflecting the intelligence of the Chinese population. In recent years, there has been a push towards developing more culturally fair and accurate intelligence tests in China.

How does the Chinese culture influence IQ research?

The Chinese culture has a significant impact on IQ research in China. Confucian values of hard work and education are deeply ingrained in Chinese society and may influence test performance. Additionally, the Chinese education system places a strong emphasis on rote memorization and test-taking skills, which may not align with Western notions of intelligence. The collectivist culture in China may also influence individual performance on IQ tests.

What is the role of genetics in IQ research in China?

The role of genetics in IQ research in China is a highly debated topic. While some researchers argue that genetics play a significant role in intelligence, others believe that cultural and environmental factors have a greater influence. There is also concern that attributing intelligence solely to genetics may perpetuate harmful stereotypes and discrimination. More research is needed to fully understand the role of genetics in IQ research in China.