Can GM gamma meter be sensitive for neutron radiation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of GM military grade meters for measuring radiation levels. The user suspects that their GM meters may also be sensitive to neutron radiation due to the presence of helium-argon gas in the tubes. The possibility of detecting neutrons with a GM meter is also mentioned, along with the physical mechanisms that could give the meter sensitivity to neutron radiation. It is suggested that running the GM meter in proportional mode may be more effective for detecting pulses from neutron reactions, but this requires better electronics.
LeonT
Hi, I'm a new member in the forum.

I own two similar GM military grade meters with calibration certificates, calibrated for gamma-rays metering and each one has two tubes filled with helium, argon (or neon), halogen (or quenching) gases. When I am exposed to some radiation source, my GM meter shows dose rate of about 300 microR per hour, but scientific proportional gamma-rays dose-meter (also has calibration certificate), at the same moment is following to display background's gamma radiation numbers of about 7 microRentgen per hour.

I suspect, that my GM meters are measuring secondary gamma radiation caused by neutron radiation, born in their own tubes by the process of thermal neutron capture (or recoil) in helium-argon gas and then, the exposure radiation must be built of neutrons.

Here in forum I saw discussion in the following thread:
Bob S said:
Neutrons and neutron "beams" are very hard to detect with portable instruments. The most common portable instruments are gas proportional counters using thermal neutron capture in BF3 (boron tri-fluoride) or He3 gas.

Is it possible, that my GM gamma-meter is sensitive to neutron radiation too?
If yes, which physical mechanism should give GM gamma meter sensitivity for neutron radiation?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Any water or other hydrogenous material in the vicinity could absorb thermal neutrons and emit capture gammas (~2.2 MeV) on hydrogen, but the sensitivity of a GM tube to these high energy gammas is low. (gamma detection is only via Compton scattering). GM tubes are most sensitive to charged particles (betas, alphas, cosmic rays). Alphas have a very short range, and cannot get through the wall of the GM tube. Neutron capture on some elements can lead to short half life beta emitters (e.g., Ag109). This reaction is used for a pulsed neutron detector developed at Fermilab. Other reactions are He3n.p (see http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/getPlot.jsp?evalid=14963&mf=3&mt=103&nsub=10) and B10 n, α (see http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/getPlot.jsp?evalid=14969&mf=3&mt=107&nsub=10).. Running a GM tube in the proportional mode is usually better for pulse amplitude discrimination, but this requires better electronics.

1. What is a GM gamma meter?

A GM gamma meter, also known as a Geiger-Muller gamma meter, is a type of radiation detection instrument that uses a gas-filled tube to detect and measure gamma radiation.

2. Can a GM gamma meter detect neutron radiation?

No, a GM gamma meter is not sensitive to neutron radiation. It is designed to detect and measure gamma radiation, which has a different energy range and type of interaction with matter than neutron radiation.

3. Is there a different type of instrument that can detect neutron radiation?

Yes, there are other types of radiation detectors that are sensitive to neutron radiation, such as a neutron monitor or a neutron spectrometer. These instruments use different technologies, such as scintillation detectors or proportional counters, to detect and measure neutron radiation.

4. How can I determine if my GM gamma meter is sensitive to neutron radiation?

You can check the specifications of your GM gamma meter or consult the manufacturer to see if it is capable of detecting neutron radiation. Alternatively, you can perform a calibration test using a known source of neutron radiation.

5. Why is it important to use the correct type of radiation detector?

Using the correct type of radiation detector is important for accurate and reliable measurement of radiation levels. Different types of radiation have different energy ranges and interactions with matter, so a detector that is sensitive to one type of radiation may not accurately measure another type. This is especially important in environments with mixed radiation fields, where using the wrong type of detector could result in inaccurate readings and potential safety hazards.