Can graphene be used as a template for graphene growth

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a silicon carbide wafer with a monolayer of graphene as a template for growing rebar graphene. The use of single wall carbon Nano tubes (CNTs) and annealing is also mentioned. The question is whether the CNTs will bond to the graphene or partially unzip and decompose. The conversation also mentions previous reports of using Copper (Cu) foil as a template for growing rebar graphene. The person speaking expresses gratitude for the helpful information they received.
Doctorwhodidit
Hi, If I had a silicon carbide wafer Si-face with a monolayer of graphene on it, then spin-coat it with single wall carbon Nano tubes (CNTs) onto the graphene and then annealed it, would the CNTs bond to the graphene under them? Or would they still partially unzip and decompose forming a sheet of Rebar Graphene on top of it? I've read reports on how to grow rebar graphene but they use Copper (Cu) foil to grow it onto. I'd like to use the SiC wafer with a monolayer graphene as a template for the rebar graphene to grow on, is it Possible?
Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you for your help. It even helped me find info I'd haven't even thought of.

1. What is graphene?

Graphene is a thin, single layer of carbon atoms arranged in a hexagonal lattice. It is known for its remarkable strength, conductivity, and flexibility, making it a highly sought after material in the field of science and technology.

2. Can graphene be used as a template for graphene growth?

Yes, graphene can be used as a template for graphene growth. This process involves using a layer of graphene as a substrate or base on which new layers of graphene can be grown using various techniques such as chemical vapor deposition or epitaxial growth.

3. What are the advantages of using graphene as a template for graphene growth?

The main advantage of using graphene as a template for graphene growth is its ability to provide a high-quality, uniform surface for the growth of new graphene layers. Additionally, it allows for precise control over the size, shape, and orientation of the grown graphene, making it a highly desirable method for producing graphene-based devices and materials.

4. Are there any limitations to using graphene as a template for graphene growth?

One limitation of using graphene as a template for graphene growth is the potential for defects or impurities in the original graphene layer, which can affect the quality of the grown graphene. Additionally, the growth process can be difficult to control and may require specialized equipment and expertise.

5. What are some potential applications of using graphene as a template for graphene growth?

Some potential applications include the production of high-performance electronic devices, such as transistors and sensors, as well as advanced materials for use in energy storage, biomedicine, and environmental remediation. It may also have potential uses in the development of quantum computing technologies.