Can Gravitons Interact with Magnetic Fields and Explain Light Bending?

In summary: In the non-relativistic case it's more arbitrary. But of course it gives the correct result, and that's what counts, but it's not a derivation in the strict sense.Well, in the non-relativistic case it's not so convincing, because you have to write$$\hat{\vec{p}}^2=(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})^2,$$and then introduce the minimal coupling in this way ##\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}} \rightarrow \vec{\sigma}(\hat{\vec{p}}-\mathrm{i} q \hat{\vec{A}})## and then square. This is just an ad-h
kent davidge
(I'm sorry for my poor English.) In GR the explanation for the bending of light by gravity is that gravity is a curvature in space (and time) and thus light follows the curved space. I was reading about the (undiscovered) graviton. It would have spin 2. Does it mean a graviton would interact with a magnetic field? If so, can we speak of bending of light as a photon-graviton interaction, like electrons (spin 1/2) interact with magnetic fields?

Physics news on Phys.org
kent davidge said:
(I'm sorry for my poor English.) In GR the explanation for the bending of light by gravity is that gravity is a curvature in space (and time) and thus light follows the curved space. I was reading about the (undiscovered) graviton. It would have spin 2. Does it mean a graviton would interact with a magnetic field?
No. Having spin angular momentum has no relation with interaction with a magnetic field. The electron interacts with a magnetic field because it has a magnetic moment.

kent davidge said:
If so, can we speak of bending of light as a photon-graviton interaction, like electrons (spin 1/2) interact with magnetic fields?
No. The photon doesn't "bend," it goes in a straight line in a curved space-time.

Likes bhobba
DrClaude said:
No. Having spin angular momentum has no relation with interaction with a magnetic field. The electron interacts with a magnetic field because it has a magnetic moment.No. The photon doesn't "bend," it goes in a straight line in a curved space-time.
Thank you. How does the electron magnetic moment is related to its spin? And do photons and gravitons have a magnetic moment?

kent davidge said:
Can you show me a derivation for the spin from the magnetic moment?
I don't know that it can be "derived." There may be something coming from QFT.

Maybe @vanhees71 can help?

The relation between spin and magnetic moment comes from minimal coupling of the electromagnetic field. For Dirac spinors, e.g., you start from the free-field Lagrangian
$$\mathcal{L}=\overline{\psi} (\mathrm{i} \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu}-m) \psi,$$
and substitute
$$\partial_{\mu} \rightarrow D_{\mu}=\partial_{\mu} + \mathrm{i} q A_{\mu},$$
where ##A_{\mu}## is the electromagnetic field. This leads to the magnetic moment of the electron with the correct tree-level gyrofactor of 2.

Likes kent davidge and bhobba
vanhees71 said:
The relation between spin and magnetic moment comes from minimal coupling of the electromagnetic field. For Dirac spinors, e.g., you start from the free-field Lagrangian
$$\mathcal{L}=\overline{\psi} (\mathrm{i} \gamma^{\mu} \partial_{\mu}-m) \psi,$$
and substitute
where ##A_{\mu}## is the electromagnetic field. This leads to the magnetic moment of the electron with the correct tree-level gyrofactor of 2.
Thank you.

vanhees71 said:
and substitute
Just to add: this can also be derived non-relativistically, which shows that the gyrofactor of 2 is not a relativistic effect, as sometimes is claimed (unlike the Darwin-term and the spin-orbit coupling, which are relativistic effects). See e.g. papers by Levy-Leblond. The idea is basically to write down the Dirac equation, but demand that every spinor component obeys the Schrodinger equation instead of the Klein-Gordon equation, resulting in a "nonrelativistic Clifford algebra".

Likes kent davidge
Well, in the non-relativistic case it's not so convincing, because you have to write
$$\hat{\vec{p}}^2=(\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}})^2,$$
and then introduce the minimal coupling in this way ##\vec{\sigma} \cdot \hat{\vec{p}} \rightarrow \vec{\sigma}(\hat{\vec{p}}-\mathrm{i} q \hat{\vec{A}})## and then square. This is just an ad-hoc description, leading to the correct gyro factor. Why one cannot simply put the minimal substitution without introducing the Pauli matrices is not clear. In th Dirac case it's a unique procedure.

Likes kent davidge

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that causes objects with mass to be attracted to each other. It is responsible for keeping planets in orbit around the sun and for our own bodies staying on the surface of the Earth.

What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a fundamental force of nature that describes the interactions between electrically charged particles. It includes both electricity and magnetism and is responsible for many phenomena such as light, electricity, and magnetic fields.

How are gravity and electromagnetism related?

Gravity and electromagnetism are both fundamental forces of nature, but they are not directly related. While gravity is caused by the mass of an object, electromagnetism is caused by the electric charge of particles. However, both forces play a role in the interactions between particles in the universe.

Can gravity be explained by electromagnetism?

No, gravity cannot be fully explained by electromagnetism. While some theories attempt to unify all forces, including gravity and electromagnetism, there is currently no complete explanation for the force of gravity.

What is the difference between gravity and electromagnetism?

The main difference between gravity and electromagnetism is the types of particles they act on. Gravity acts on all objects with mass, while electromagnetism acts on electrically charged particles. Additionally, gravity is a relatively weak force, while electromagnetism is much stronger.