Can I become an engineer and a physicist?

In summary: So it is a natural way to go to work as an engineer after having a PhD in physics.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a PhD in physics after obtaining a BA in electronic engineering. It is mentioned that it may take around 4-8 years to complete the PhD, and that it is not uncommon for students to work part-time while doing so. The conversation also notes that while it is possible to become both a physicist and an engineer, there may be some challenges in balancing the two fields. Some speakers suggest looking into fields that combine both physics and engineering, such as accelerator physics. Additionally, it is mentioned that studying physics can also provide valuable engineering skills.
Element091
I want to become a theoretical physicist, but the job outlook is not as great as I would wish it to be. However, I still want to study theoretical physics as I find it extremely interesting.

So what I am thinking is that I get a BA in electronic engineering, and then seek employment in that field and work part time to get a PH.D in Physics.

How long would it take to get a PH.D in Physics after a BA in EE?

Is this a realistic? Or do i have to choose between them?

Physics news on Phys.org
Would like to hear some thoughts too on it...was thinking of double majoring in ME and Astronomy & Physics

It's not impossible.

Lots of people jump from various fields of engineering into physics for graduate school, and vice versa. One drawback to doing this is that as an engineering student your courses will naturally have a strong engineering element and you will likely miss out on a few senior undergrad physics courses that could introduce you to various sub-fields, and potentially you will have some catching up to do once you get to gradaute school.

A PhD is a full-time committment. If you plan on doing it part-time, it will take twice as long (if not longer). It can be done, of course, but if you're also working, that won't leave a lot of time for other things. So if you're okay with spending ~ 8 years or more balancing a job and your PhD work and not doing much else, then go for it.

Also, it's probably worth pointing out that a degree in physics does not mean you have no job prospects. In fact, physics majors tend to do quite well compared with lots of other majors.

So after a degree BA in EE, It will take four years to get a PH.D in physics if I do it full time?
One drawback to doing this is that as an engineering student your courses will naturally have a strong engineering element and you will likely miss out on a few senior undergrad physics courses that could introduce you to various sub-fields
Sub-fields in engineering or physics?
What would be the best approach?

There's no hard answer on how much time it takes. Four years is more of a minimum. (there are people who finish faster, but not many). It's not uncommon for it to take five-six years.

As a physics student you will generally have the opportunity to take more physics classes. So in your senior year, for example you might be able to take a general relativity course, a course in plasma physics and/or a senior thesis research project in addition to the more 'core' curriculum courses that would be required for entrance into physics grad school. As an engineer, you may not get those same opportunities - although to be fair, you will have others, and you will have training for a specific profession.

There is no "best" approach.

What you could do, is look up a course calendar and look up each route. Plan out the courses you will take in each route and see what's more appealing.

Element091 said:
I want to become a theoretical physicist, but the job outlook is not as great as I would wish it to be. However, I still want to study theoretical physics as I find it extremely interesting.

So what I am thinking is that I get a BA in electronic engineering, and then seek employment in that field and work part time to get a PH.D in Physics.

How long would it take to get a PH.D in Physics after a BA in EE?

Is this a realistic? Or do i have to choose between them?

Why can't you be an experimental physicist and become a physicist AND an engineer in the same profession? There are many of us who are physicists and also do a lot of engineering. I've highlighted one career option already in this forum - Accelerator Physics field. Look it up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Why can't you be an experimental physicist and become a physicist AND an engineer in the same profession? There are many of us who are physicists and also do a lot of engineering. I've highlighted one career option already in this forum - Accelerator Physics field. Look it up.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Zz.

ZapperZ is right. I did my PhD in physics (theory and computational) and now spend a good portion of my day working on mainly engineering problems (probably 50%). This is probably a little more rare for a mainly theory guy, but not unheard of. But as an experimentalist, you will get to do a ton of 'grunt work' engineering.

I also agree to Norman and ZapperZ! When I did my (physics) PhD I spent most of the time on classical electrical / mechanical engineering tasks. Even the computational / 'theory' part was rather software engineering.

One of the most important things I learned in the lab of the university was to build a solution from existing components or based on a very limited budget. I think it is this MacGyver-style thinking that automatically make a physicist an engineer anyway.

Related to Can I become an engineer and a physicist?

1. Can I become an engineer and a physicist at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to become both an engineer and a physicist. While these two fields may seem very different, they both involve problem-solving, critical thinking, and a strong understanding of math and science.

2. Do I need to major in both engineering and physics in college?

No, it is not necessary to major in both fields. Many universities offer dual degree programs where you can major in one subject and minor in the other. Additionally, you can also pursue a graduate degree in one field after completing your undergraduate degree in the other.

3. Is it common for engineers to also have a background in physics?

Yes, it is not uncommon for engineers to have a background in physics. Many engineering fields, such as mechanical and electrical engineering, rely heavily on the principles of physics to design and create practical solutions.

4. Are the job prospects different for engineers and physicists?

While there may be some overlap in job opportunities, the specific roles and responsibilities of engineers and physicists do differ. Engineers typically work on practical applications and products, while physicists focus more on research and theoretical concepts. It's important to research the specific job market and opportunities in your desired field.

5. Can I switch between being an engineer and a physicist in my career?

Yes, it is possible to switch between being an engineer and a physicist in your career. Depending on your education and experience, you may need additional training or education to make the transition. However, having a strong foundation in both fields can make it easier to switch between them if desired.