From biomedical engineering to bio-physics to medical physicist

In summary, the person is new to the PhysicsForm site and is seeking advice on switching from biomedical engineering to bio-physics in order to become a medical physicist. They do not plan on attending medical school but are interested in pursuing graduate studies in order to work in disciplines such as robotic surgery and prosthetics. They are also aware that there may be mandatory certifications required for these fields. The speaker suggests speaking with an undergraduate advisor for specific program details and explains the differences between medical physics, biophysics, and biomedical engineering. It is concluded that biomedical engineering would be the ideal path for someone interested in the design of medical machinery and equipment.
JordanBolds
Hi everyone! I am also very new to this PhysicsForm site, hopefully I am not interrupting any conversation with this question. I have been thinking about switching from biomedical engineering to bio-physics as an undergrad degree with aspirations of eventually becoming a medical physicist. I do not intend on doing any medical school, but definitely grad school in whatever degree would get me into the following disciplines: robotic surgery, prosthetics, and any other medical machinery design. I am sure there are other various mandatory certifications I would need. Does this pathway seem ideal for the future goals I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
JordanBolds said:
I am also very new to this PhysicsForm site, hopefully I am not interrupting any conversation with this question. I have been thinking about switching from biomedical engineering to bio-physics as an undergrad degree with aspirations of eventually becoming a medical physicist. I do not intend on doing any medical school, but definitely grad school in whatever degree would get me into the following disciplines: robotic surgery, prosthetics, and any other medical machinery design. I am sure there are other various mandatory certifications I would need. Does this pathway seem ideal for the future goals I have?
The details of an undergraduate program can vary from school to school, so the first thing I would suggest is talking to an undergraduate advisor about this.

That said, if I were to very broadly describe these disciplines:
  • Medical Physics: the physics of radiation oncology and/or medical imaging (CT, MRI, nuclear medicine) and radiation protection.
  • Biophysics: the physics of biochemistry (protein and complex molecule structure and interactions, pharmacokinetics, etc.), bioenergetics, biophysical processes, bioinformatics, etc.
  • Biomedical engineering: the engineering of equipment/machinery for medical purposes or human interface.
That's not to say there isn't overlap, but if you're interested in robotic surgery, prosthetics, and the design of medical machinery, it would seem that biomedical engineering is the path for you.

Likes DeBangis21 and gleem

What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering and biology to develop solutions for healthcare and medical problems. It involves designing, developing, and maintaining medical equipment, prosthetic devices, and other biomedical technologies.

What is bio-physics?

Bio-physics is a field that combines principles of physics and biology to study biological systems. It involves using mathematical models and experimental techniques to understand and analyze the physical processes that occur in living organisms.

What is a medical physicist?

A medical physicist is a healthcare professional who applies principles of physics to diagnose and treat diseases. They work with medical equipment, such as X-rays and radiation therapy machines, to ensure their safe and effective use in the diagnosis and treatment of patients.

What are the job responsibilities of a biomedical engineer?

The job responsibilities of a biomedical engineer include designing and developing medical devices and equipment, conducting research to improve healthcare technologies, and collaborating with healthcare professionals to identify and address medical problems.

What skills are needed to work in the field of bio-physics?

To work in the field of bio-physics, one needs to have a strong background in both physics and biology. Additionally, skills in data analysis, mathematics, and computer programming are also important for conducting research and analyzing data in this field.