Can I cancel a physics PhD visit day, after they've booked my flight?

In summary, the person has been offered a job in Boston and is considering which program to go to. They have been offered a spot at another program, but are considering cancelling their visit because of this.
PhysPaig
Hello everyone! I have a visit day for a school coming up that they booked my hotel and flight for. I was initially interested in the program, but my partner recently received a dream job offer in Boston. I have been offered a spot at two PhD programs there, so I'll likely pick one of those in order to let them pursue this opportunity. My visit day is in a week at this other school that isn't in Boston, but there's basically no chance that I'm going to accept my offer to go to that school now. Should I inform them of this so that they can cancel my accomodations(hotel and flight) and potentially get some portion of the money back? I can also just go to the visit day and not tell them of my plans to deny my offer soon after, but it feels a bit bad to take their money.

Likes vanhees71
Physics news on Phys.org
The moral thing is to contact them with exactly what you told us here.

But it's hard to say no to a free vacation!

Likes vanhees71 and PhysPaig
Yes, just tell them where things stand. It's not going to offend anyone if you cancel on them.

In general graduate admissions people prefer to know where things stand sooner rather than later. There may be some students on a waiting list that they can make a secondary offer to once they know you're not coming.

Likes vanhees71, Tom.G and PhysPaig
I agree with what was said here, but I would take it one step further - withdraw you application for admission. You're not just holding on to a few hundred bucks, but you're holding on to a slot someone else can use, Let someone else have it.

Likes PhysPaig and vanhees71
Vanadium 50 said:
I agree with what was said here, but I would take it one step further - withdraw you application for admission. You're not just holding on to a few hundred bucks, but you're holding on to a slot someone else can use, Let someone else have it.
Oh yes certainly. I withdrew last night when I told them that I was likely going to another program for the reason stated in my post. It just felt weird cancelling on them since I doubt they'll be able to refund the flight, and I said I would go. But I think everyone here is right

Likes berkeman
PhysPaig said:
Oh yes certainly. I withdrew last night when I told them that I was likely going to another program for the reason stated in my post. It just felt weird cancelling on them since I doubt they'll be able to refund the flight, and I said I would go. But I think everyone here is right
It's great that you have a conscience, but don't fret about the airfare. You're thinking in terms of rock-bottom vacation fares with strict refund policies upon cancellation. But business trips seldom are booked that way, since cancellations tend to be more frequent.

Regardless, the university would waste even more money (and people's time) if you didn't cancel. So keep that in perspective.

Likes hutchphd, PhysPaig and romsofia

1. Can I cancel my physics PhD visit day after the flight has been booked?

Yes, you can cancel your visit day even after the flight has been booked. However, it is important to notify the university and the airline as soon as possible to avoid any cancellation fees.

2. Will I be charged for cancelling my physics PhD visit day after the flight has been booked?

It depends on the airline's cancellation policy. Some airlines may charge a fee for cancelling a flight, while others may allow you to cancel without any penalty. It is important to check with the airline before cancelling your flight.

3. Can I reschedule my physics PhD visit day after cancelling the flight?

Yes, you can reschedule your visit day after cancelling the flight. However, it is important to inform the university and the airline of the new flight details as soon as possible.

4. Will cancelling my flight affect my chances of being accepted into the physics PhD program?

No, cancelling your flight will not affect your chances of being accepted into the program. The university understands that unforeseen circumstances may arise and they will not hold it against you.

5. What should I do if I need to cancel my physics PhD visit day due to an emergency?

If you need to cancel your visit day due to an emergency, it is important to inform the university and the airline as soon as possible. They may be able to provide you with a refund or reschedule your flight without any penalty.