Can I detect electrons using X-ray film?

In summary, it is possible to detect electrons using a x-ray film. However, it is not clear that a silver halide gelatin would be naturally conductive. So, in order to avoid a grounding problem, you might experiment with a thin coat of very dilute fabric softener and let it dry in the dark.
onehj832
TL;DR Summary
electron detection using x-ray film
I'm conducting a research about making a electron gun. I first tried to detect electron using nuclear emulsion plate. But I couldn't purchase one near my town. So, instead, I'm thinking about using a x-ray film to detect electron. But I'm not sure it'll work.
SO, IS IT POSSIBLE TO DETECT ELECTRONS USING THE X-RAY FILM?🤔

Physics news on Phys.org
You can definitely put film (x-ray or normal B/W) into a vacuum chamber and expose it with a cathode ray.

In the mid '70's, I was working on a contract for the US Defense Mapping Agency, Aerospace Center in Saint Louis. The final product they produced was on paper that only needed to last about 2 months (because the charts expired and were superseded in that time), so the quality of the paper was not good.

Despite this, the output device they chose (for the print signatures - about 16 pages at a time) was called an "Electron Beam Recorder" and had the ability to draw incredibly fine text and graphics - with a positioning resolution of 40,000 per inch and a film format about 5 inches wide and up to about 8 inches long.

Last edited:
Likes onehj832
Yes. You might consider 35mm B&W film. It will be cheaper and you can develop it yourself, which could give you quicker results and save money.

Likes onehj832
I processed the EBR film exactly as I would B/W 35mm film - using a Kodak developer, an acetic acid stop, and then the fixer.
However, it occurs to me that the film itself needed to be grounded and must have been electrically conductive. Otherwise, a charge could have built up on the film and that would have distorted the image.

It's not clear that a silver halide gelatin would be naturally conductive. So there could be a grounding problem. You could put a light coat of fabric softener on the plastic side to make it conductive - but that might not do the emulsion any good - where the charge is going to be building up.

Of course, putting softener on the emulsion side might shield it from the electrons. I would experiment with a thin coat of very dilute fabric softener - and then let it dry. Of course, you would need to do that entirely in the dark.

Likes onehj832 and DaveE
Thank you so much! It really helped me a lot! :)

DaveE said:
Yes. You might consider 35mm B&W film. It will be cheaper and you can develop it yourself, which could give you quicker results and save money.
Thank you for your kind advice! 😁

1. How does X-ray film detect electrons?

X-ray film detects electrons through a process called photoelectric effect. When an electron collides with the film, it releases energy in the form of photons which are then absorbed by the film, creating an image.

2. Can X-ray film detect all types of electrons?

No, X-ray film can only detect high energy electrons. Low energy electrons do not have enough energy to cause the photoelectric effect and therefore cannot be detected by X-ray film.

3. Is X-ray film the only way to detect electrons?

No, there are other methods of detecting electrons such as using a scintillator or a charged coupled device (CCD). X-ray film is just one of the many options available.

4. Can X-ray film detect individual electrons?

Yes, X-ray film can detect individual electrons. However, the resolution of the image may not be high enough to distinguish between individual electrons. Other methods such as electron microscopy may be more suitable for this purpose.

5. Are there any limitations to using X-ray film to detect electrons?

Yes, there are some limitations to using X-ray film for electron detection. X-ray film can only detect high energy electrons, and the resolution of the image may not be as high as other methods. Additionally, the film can only be used once and must be developed before the image can be viewed, making it a slower process compared to other methods.