Can I Double Protect My Outlets with Outlet Surge Protectors?

• Thread starter DonL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Protection
In summary,Don installed a whole house surge protector and is considering adding outlet surge protectors to double protect against surges. He is concerned that the additional protectors might interfere with the effectiveness of the whole house protector. Dave recommends scattering protectors about the house to help eliminate any potential interference.
DonL
Good afternoon,

I have installed a whole house surge protector. Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well? I've read where you shouldn't piggyback surge protectors and didn't know it the additional outlet protectors would interfere with the whole house protector.

Thank you as always,

DonL

Engineering news on Phys.org
DonL said:
I've read where you shouldn't piggyback surge protectors

not that I'm aware of

DonL said:
didn't know it the additional outlet protectors would interfere with the whole house protector.

I would be quite in favour of adding additional surge protectors on power outlets, particularly where sensitive gear is plugged in.
I can see it as a way to help eliminate anything that got past the main protector

Dave

The reason to not piggyback several of them inside one protector is the weakest one will blow first and you might not know it's gone. So your capacity to absorb the next surge is reduced. Same reason you don't parallel fuses.

I'd say what you propose, scattering them about the house, is a good idea. Particularly if they're a type you can test and replace any that have made their ultimate sacrifice for you.

DonL said:
Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well?
What surges are you expecting that you must protect against ?
How often did you have problems with surges before installing the protection ?
Are you just buying peace-of-mind ?

Likes jim hardy
jim hardy said:
The reason to not piggyback several of them inside one protector is the weakest one will blow first and you might not know it's gone. So your capacity to absorb the next surge is reduced. Same reason you don't parallel fuses.

I can see where you are coming from, but with the BIG arrestor first inline at the house entry point
it will/ should take the main brunt of the overload. It's not really as if it and a small secondary one are directly in parallel ... directly piggybacked
As the secondary one is at some xx cable length away

just my thoughts :smile:

Likes jim hardy
DonL said:
I have installed a whole house surge protector. Can I also "double protect" a few outlets with outlet surge protectors as well?
Sure. Usually it is about having a class I and/or class II SPD for the house, and a class III for the individual device/outlet.
I don't know that 'whole house surge protector' is what class, but I guess it'll be something bigger than outlet SPDs, so it is OK.

Ps.: did you know that you have to protect every line what comes inside the house ( I mean: any antenna, phone, internet and so) if you want a decent protection?

Last edited:
Likes Asymptotic and Tom.G

1. What is surge protection?

Surge protection is a system or device designed to protect electronic equipment from sudden voltage spikes, also known as surges, in the power supply.

2. How does layered surge protection work?

Layered surge protection works by using multiple protective devices, such as surge protectors and surge arresters, at different points in the electrical system to provide comprehensive protection against surges.

3. What are the benefits of using layered surge protection?

The benefits of layered surge protection include improved reliability and longevity of electronic equipment, reduced downtime and maintenance costs, and increased safety for both equipment and individuals.

4. How do I know if I need layered surge protection?

If you have sensitive electronic equipment that is at risk of damage from surges, such as computers, televisions, or medical equipment, then you may benefit from layered surge protection. Consulting with a professional electrician can help determine your specific needs.

5. Can I install layered surge protection myself?

It is recommended to have a professional electrician install layered surge protection to ensure proper installation and compliance with building codes. However, some surge protectors and surge arresters can be installed by following the manufacturer's instructions.