Can I improve the run time for a friend's child's ride-on toy?

• Thread starter Racer440
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary: So, make sure the batteries are fully charged and in the same state of charge before you try to parallel them up.
Racer440
TL;DR Summary
Stronger battery for childs ride on toy
I am trying to improve the run time for a friend's child's ride on toy.

The drive system is currently similar to Plum 550 20000RPM Gearbox with DC Motor,6V Motor with Gear Box with a small 6v battery.

I replaced the battery with a 12V 20AH T6 SLA Battery.

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology but this battery provides too much current for the motor. The motor shoots out sparks and smokes if it is run without any load. I haven't tried it with a load on the motor.

We are OK with the motor spinning faster due to the 12v vs. 6v. but would like to limit the output to the motor so not to burn it up.

I am more mechanically than electrically inclined, but am essentially trying to have a bigger "gas tank" for the car. Not necessarily more powerful fuel.

Is there a simple way to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Racer440 said:
Summary: Stronger battery for childs ride on toy

am essentially trying to have a bigger "gas tank" for the car. Not necessarily more powerful fuel.
Put multiple 6V batteries connected in parallel. Or find a 6V battery with a bigger ah (amp-hour) rating. Almost all batteries come in different ah sizes. Think of AA versus AAA 1.5V batteries for example.

Edit: you said nothing about the size and weight requirments.

anorlunda said:
Put multiple 6V batteries connected in parallel. Or find a 6V battery with a bigger ah (amp-hour) rating. Almost all batteries come in different ah sizes. Think of AA versus AAA 1.5V batteries for example.

Edit: you said nothing about the size and weight requirments.
OK.

So it's the 12v that's causing the overpowering of the motor, not the amperage?

In other words, if I use a higher 20ah 6v battery or multiple 6v batteries in parallel, the power storage will increase but not over power the motor? I'm guessing a 20ah 6v battery will last about 3 times longer than a 7ah 6v battery?

The size requirements (of the battery) are flexible because I can move or add batteries in another location in the car. Obviously, the batteries will add weight but hopefully they would add more than enough power to offset their added weight. The weight of the rider is minimal and not over-sized for the car.

Thanks,

Scott

Yup, you're on the right track.

anorlunda said:
Yup, you're on the right track.
Thanks!

Ohm's law: I=U/R, you don't change R, but you supply twice the voltage, no wonder you get high current.

Racer440 said:
In other words, if I use a higher 20ah 6v battery or multiple 6v batteries in parallel, the power storage will increase but not over power the motor? I'm guessing a 20ah 6v battery will last about 3 times longer than a 7ah 6v battery?
Using a bigger 6V battery is better than trying to parallel up multiple 6V batteries, unless you have a lot of experience with batteries (which it sounds like you do not). In order to parallel up batteries like that, they need to have been purchased at the same time, and need to have been connected in parallel for their entire charge/discharge life so far. If they are in different states of charge (especially if one is discharged and the other is charged) and you connect them in parallel, large currents can flow while they try to equalize. That can lead to overheating batteries and other more serious things happening.

1. How can I make the ride-on toy go faster?

There are a few ways to potentially improve the run time and speed of a ride-on toy. One option is to upgrade the battery to a higher voltage or capacity. Another option is to switch to a more efficient motor. Additionally, reducing the weight of the toy or improving the aerodynamics can also contribute to faster speeds.

2. Can I modify the existing motor to increase the run time?

It is not recommended to modify the motor as it can void the warranty and potentially damage the toy. It is best to consult the manufacturer or a professional for any modifications to the motor.

3. Are there any specific maintenance tips to improve the run time?

Regularly charging the battery and keeping it clean can help maintain its efficiency and prolong the run time. It is also important to avoid overloading the toy with excessive weight, as this can drain the battery faster.

4. Is it possible to use a different type of battery for longer run time?

It is possible to use a different type of battery, such as a lithium-ion battery, which can provide longer run time compared to traditional lead-acid batteries. However, it is important to ensure that the battery is compatible with the toy and to follow proper safety precautions when using a different type of battery.

5. Are there any external factors that may affect the run time of the ride-on toy?

Yes, external factors such as terrain, temperature, and user weight can affect the run time of the ride-on toy. Rough or uphill terrain can put more strain on the motor and drain the battery faster. Similarly, extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, can also affect the battery's performance. Lastly, heavier users may require more power from the motor, resulting in shorter run time.