Can I read a book with an infrared led light?

In summary, reading a book with an infrared LED light is possible, but it may not be the most comfortable or efficient option. Infrared light is not visible to the human eye, so it may strain the eyes and make it difficult to read for an extended period of time. Additionally, the light may not be evenly distributed, causing shadows and making it hard to read smaller text. It is recommended to use a dedicated book light or a device with a built-in backlight for better reading experience.
Noasark
I am not a physics guy I'm just a husband trying to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife. Does infrared light reading glasses exist?Scientificly, can they be made?

Science news on Phys.org
No, under anything but very specialized conditions (not those you are talking about) IR is invisible to the human eye.

Noasark said:
Summary: I am not a physics guy I'm just a husband trying to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife. Does infrared light reading glasses exist? Scientificly, can they be made?

I am not a physics guy I'm just a husband trying to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife. Does infrared light reading glasses exist?Scientificly, can they be made?
Modern head lamps for mountainering etc. have a red light setting for this purpose. It's not infrared of course but its designed to minimize disturbing others who are still sleeping.

Check out Black Diamond, which is a US brand.

Likes phinds
Get started on Audio Books?

Likes berkeman
sophiecentaur said:
Get started on Audio Books?
Is "Spacetime Physics" available as an audio book?

• Haha
Likes sophiecentaur
Noasark said:
Summary: I am not a physics guy I'm just a husband trying to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife. Does infrared light reading glasses exist? Scientificly, can they be made?

Do you think the printed letters on the pages of your book emit heat differently than the rest of the page?

Think about it.

Zz.

They probably don't emit heat differently, but they may reflect near IR light from an external source differently.

That said, I don't see this working in the IR. It might work in the near UV, with wavelength-shifting glasses. However,
  1. I am not convinced of the safety of this, especially long-term
  2. Your glasses will glow (most likely) green, so this won't solve the problem
  3. It will be expensive
My advice - buy a Kindle or similar.

Likes russ_watters
-Night vision goggles.
-Kindle app on a head-mounted display.

Likes sophiecentaur
ZapperZ said:
Do you think the printed letters on the pages of your book emit heat differently than the rest of the page?
The letters on the page would reflect differently if you wore
russ_watters said:
-Night vision goggles.
and used an IR lamp for illumination. IR Leds are used in trail cameras (readily available) and IR sensitive goggles are not too pricy (Amazon / eBay). You might look a bit bizarre sitting there in bed wearing all the kit but (hopefully) your wife would not be awake to see you.

Likes russ_watters
sophiecentaur said:
The letters on the page would reflect differently if you wore

and used an IR lamp for illumination. IR Leds are used in trail cameras (readily available) and IR sensitive goggles are not too pricy (Amazon / eBay). You might look a bit bizarre sitting there in bed wearing all the kit but (hopefully) your wife would not be awake to see you.

Reflect WHAT? presumably this person plans to read in the dark, which brought about the question in the first place.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Reflect WHAT?
in my post, which you quoted,
sophiecentaur said:
and used an IR lamp for illumination.
A straight negative answer is seldom very helpful because it goes nowhere for an uninformed questioner. I gave him a solution (a real solution, in fact) to his problem

Noasark said:
I am not a physics guy I'm just a husband trying to read in bed at night without disturbing my wife.
Welcome to the PF.

Sometimes when your first idea doesn't pan out, you need to try turning the problem or the solution upside-down, or reversing your viewpoint... :smile:

https://mk0nonaveneyiqk9bxkb.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/sleep-mask-reviews.jpg
1572821531001.png

Likes hutchphd and sophiecentaur
If a Kindle doesn't do it, maybe Google Glass will solve the problem. (Is it even a thing anymore?)

Night vision goggles are not needed. Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR. Test the camera in your mobile phone with the IR remote control from your TV.
Then you can illuminate the book with IR light, and view it through your mobile phone camera. Take care that the light from the phone screen does not reflect off your face, to illuminate the book.

Likes russ_watters
ZapperZ said:
Reflect WHAT? presumably this person plans to read in the dark, which brought about the question in the first place.
Any decent security camera today has NIR night vision, with it's own lighting. That's what the ring of LEDs is for:

95914_W3.jpg

Baluncore said:
Night vision goggles are not needed. Most digital cameras are sensitive to IR.
The main upside of night vision goggles is everything would be in one package.

Baluncore said:
Take care that the light from the phone screen does not reflect off your face, to illuminate the book.
Which is why I suggested goggles. They do not need to let any visible light out - plus they are fixed to your head so they do not need a hand or other support.
Good idea not to wake your wife with the gogs on or you could scare her. Arrrgh - it's a plague doctor.

Likes russ_watters
I use a Kobo ebook (H20) to read in bed. I can set it to any brightness that suits me.

Add this to the other benefits:
  • I only ever need one device wherever I go (I read about six books over a week vacation),
  • I can change font sizes to suit my reading conditions (including bouncing around on an exercise bike),
  • new books to read are a couple of clicks away,
  • it's waterproof.
At 200 bucks, it's probably cheaper than other technological solutions.

I'd agree with nearly all of that (my Kindle is not waterproof but I never found that a disadvantage) but eBooks really don't deal well with diagrams and half tones and many technical books are not available in the format. Horses for courses, I say.

sophiecentaur said:
I'd agree with nearly all of that (my Kindle is not waterproof but I never found that a disadvantage)
Somewhere I have a pic of me up to my neck in a pool in Cuba, drinking a Ron Collins, smoking a cigar and reading my half-submerged Kobo H2O. It is hard to imagine how even heaven could top that.

sophiecentaur said:
but eBooks really don't deal well with diagrams and half tones and many technical books are not available in the format. Horses for courses, I say.
Definitely a major downside to ebooks. As someone who likes to read books with maps and diagrams, this is a major drawback.

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters
DaveC426913 said:
Somewhere I have a pic of me up to my neck in a pool in Cuba, drinking a Ron Collins, smoking a cigar and reading my half-submerged Kobo H2O. It is hard to imagine how even heaven could top that.
Hah! What a beastly show off. (Lucky devil)
DaveC426913 said:
Definitely a major downside to ebooks. As someone who likes to read books with maps with maps and diagrams
They are rubbish in that way. I remember having a rant on a Pro-Kindle forum about that and also the poor filing system (plus a couple of other things) and I was jumped on very smartly. "Don't try to tell us what we need" blah blah. It seems that the eInk system (great though it is) is the only issue that the eBook afficionados are prepared to discuss. They should be looking over their shoulders at the way the cheapest Smart Phones behave and smarten up their software.

1. Can infrared led light damage my eyes while reading a book?

No, infrared led light does not emit harmful radiation and is not strong enough to cause damage to the eyes.

2. What are the benefits of using an infrared led light for reading?

Infrared led light can provide a more focused and concentrated light source, making it easier to read in low light conditions. It can also reduce eye strain and fatigue.

3. Can I use any book with an infrared led light?

Yes, you can use an infrared led light with any book that has reflective pages. However, it may not be effective for reading books with glossy or dark pages.

4. Is an infrared led light better than a regular reading light?

It depends on personal preference and the type of book being read. Infrared led lights provide a more focused light source, but regular reading lights may be more versatile in terms of adjusting the brightness and direction of the light.

5. Can I use an infrared led light for reading in any environment?

Infrared led lights are most effective in low light environments, but they can also be used in well-lit areas for a more concentrated light source. However, they may not be as effective in bright sunlight or outdoors.