Can I still get into top colleges with a 1960 SAT score?

• Testing
  • Thread starter Desconcertado
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matter Sat
In summary: Your grades are definitely important, but most top schools look at a combination of things including extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation.In summary, the individual is a high school student with all As and in the top ten of their school. They are also the President of the Theatre Club and the FOSS club, as well as an active member of their school's Theoretical Physics Club and has started their own NGO. However, their SAT scores are only 1960 and they are unsure if they can get into top colleges like MIT and Stanford for engineering. Suggestions are given to retake the SAT, review and practice for it, and talk to a college advisor. It is also noted that grades and SAT scores are not
Desconcertado
I am a high school student opting for university next year. My grades are all As. I am in the top ten of the school. I also am the President of the Theatre Club and the FOSS club. I am also active member of my schools Theoretical Physics Club. In addition to that i have started my own NGO along with my friends...

However, my SAT scores are 1960 only! I want to opt for nice colleges like MIT and Stanford for Engineering. But my friends tell me i can't make it cause my grades are too low.

So can anyone give me some idea about can i make it to colleges like these or not..

Physics news on Phys.org
Desconcertado said:
However, my SAT scores are 1960 only! I want to opt for nice colleges like MIT and Stanford for Engineering. But my friends tell me i can't make it cause my grades are too low..
SAT's aren't all that important, but they are used as a filter.

a) What's your math/verbal/writing split? Most of these schools have a big discrepancy between the average math and verbal scores. See if you're in the ballpark for their math scores.
b) I'm totally unclear on whether you're a junior or senior. If you're still a junior, shell out for kaplan/princton review/etc. and practice some more. Then take them again.
c) If you're a senior, talk to the college adviser at your school. They usually have a baseline for where you can get in.
d) If you're a senior, your apps are due soon anyway/already due. Just apply to your dream schools and make sure to apply to some safeties. Worse case, you won't make it into a reach. It really won't kill you.

Desconcertado said:
However, my SAT scores are 1960 only
1960 is very low for anyone that wants to get into a STEM career. I suggest reviewing and then retaking the SAT.
Are you Hispanic or African American?

First let me say that most schools don't consider the writing protion because they feel that there is not yet enough data to use the score effectively.

Here are the percentiles for scores:
http://professionals.collegeboard.com/profdownload/sat_percentile_ranks_2008.pdf"

Like Zubin, I would suggest retaking it if you want to go to MIT or Stanford or some other upper tier university. But unlike Zubin I would not say that 1960 is very low for anyone that wants to get into a STEM career. Maybe low for the likes of MIT or Stanford, but not low in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
At MIT, I was told by someone in the know that I needed a 750 Math to even have a shot at getting, there were talking about my specific situation though, and this was 3 years ago, so I'd take that information with a grain of salt.

As far as admission into those schools, I don't know. Who cares. You are who you are. You seem to have high expectations for yourself. If you can derive complex mathematical relationships in your sleep, people will notice. If not, chill out.

Actually, grades are just a filter too, just like SAT. Grades and SAT scores can keep you out of a top school, but they can't get you in.

Yeah...SAT wouldn't be used if there weren't too many students competing for the same spot in the university.

Related to Can I still get into top colleges with a 1960 SAT score?

1. How much does my SAT score impact my chances of getting into college?

The importance of your SAT score in the college admissions process varies depending on the individual college or university. Some schools place a high emphasis on SAT scores, while others consider it as just one factor among many in the application. Generally, a higher SAT score can improve your chances of getting into a more competitive college or receiving merit-based scholarships.

2. Can a low SAT score prevent me from getting into college?

While a low SAT score can make it more difficult to get into certain colleges, it is not the only factor that admissions committees consider. Other factors such as GPA, extracurricular activities, essays, and letters of recommendation also play a role. Additionally, some colleges have test-optional policies, meaning they do not require SAT scores for admission.

3. Is the SAT the most important factor in college admissions?

No, the SAT is not the most important factor in college admissions. Admissions committees typically consider a variety of factors, including academic performance, extracurricular activities, personal essays, and letters of recommendation. While a high SAT score can certainly strengthen your application, it is not the sole determining factor.

4. Can I retake the SAT if I am not satisfied with my score?

Yes, you can retake the SAT as many times as you wish. However, it is important to note that most colleges will see all of your SAT scores, not just the highest one. So if you choose to retake the SAT, be sure to prepare and aim for a significant improvement in your score.

5. How long are SAT scores valid?

SAT scores are valid for five years. After that, they will no longer be available for reporting to colleges or scholarship programs. So if you plan on taking a gap year or applying to college later, you may want to consider taking the SAT during your junior or senior year of high school.