Can I take Abstract Algebra as a High School Student?

In summary, the conversation discusses abstract algebra and its prerequisites for enrollment. The speaker mentions that the subject is quite different from other mathematics and suggests studying groups first before moving on to other algebraic structures. They also suggest consulting with the course instructor for more information. It is stated that multi-variable calculus is not necessary for the course, though basic linear algebra may be needed. The speaker recommends taking the class and provides a resource for learning linear algebra.
Desafino
I've read up a little bit about Abstract Algebra and it seems like a really interesting subject. A university near me will offer an intro class in it next semester. Trouble is, the university requires Calc III as a prerequisite for the course. I'm taking AP Calc right now at school, but it doesn't look like there's any calculus in the Algebra course. Is the prerequisite simply to ensure that people enrolling have some mathematical aptitude rather than necessary to understanding the material --(I'm a smart kid with a near-perfect SAT score so I think I can probably pick up the material?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Introductory algebra almost certainly won't involve anything resembling multivariable or vector calculus unless they happen to cover something unusually specialized. You'll study the basic properties of sets, functions and relations before going on to study algebraic structures. The requirement is almost certainly, as you say, to ensure some level of comfort with advanced mathematics. If you're interested in learning a but of algebra but can't take the course, Gilbert's Elements of Modern Algebra is a fantastic introduction to the subject and to proofs in general. Be aware that the subject is nothing like any mathematics you've ever encountered before.

The best thing to do is to talk to the person giving the course. E-mail them and ask if you can set up a time to discuss this, or ask them in the e-mail what you want to know. Otherwise get a hold of the secretary.

Thereis no reason why you need calc III to start on abstract algebra. Quite likely the university course includes some "advanced" examples of algebraic structures that need Calc III to understand them, but that isn't the core part of the subject.

At high school level, I suggest you start by studying groups. There are good examples of groups that don't involve any math concepts beyond integer arithmetic, geometric operations like reflections and rotations, permutations of lists of objects, etc. Then move on to rings, fields, and vector spaces - at which point you WILL come across examples of algebraic structures where the elements of the structure are functions, and you will need calc III to understand what the operations on the elements mean.

We also don't know if linear algebra gets its own course or if it's covered in Calc III, which would be a good reason to teach it before Abstract.

1. Can I take Abstract Algebra as a High School Student?

It depends on your school's policies and curriculum. Some high schools offer advanced math courses, including abstract algebra, for motivated and high-achieving students. However, it is not a commonly offered course at the high school level.

2. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields, and their properties. It is a more abstract and theoretical approach to algebra, rather than focusing on specific equations and calculations.

3. Do I need to have a strong foundation in math to take Abstract Algebra?

Yes, abstract algebra builds upon concepts from previous math courses, such as algebra and geometry. It is recommended to have a strong understanding of these topics before taking abstract algebra.

4. How will taking Abstract Algebra benefit me in the future?

Studying abstract algebra can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields, including science, engineering, and finance. It also provides a strong foundation for advanced math courses in college.

5. What can I expect from an Abstract Algebra course?

An abstract algebra course will cover topics such as groups, rings, fields, and linear algebra. It will involve a lot of theoretical concepts and proofs, rather than just solving equations. It may also involve some computer programming and applications in real-world problems.