Can I transition back into chemical engineering after 5 years in the DEP?

• Engineering
  • Thread starter L0SER
  • Start date
In summary, the person speaking is a Chemical Engineer who has been working in the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) for 5 years and feels they have become typecasted out of traditional ChemE roles. They are wondering if there is a way to get back into the field and how their permit writing skills can be used elsewhere. They also mention considering getting a Master's degree to qualify for more job opportunities.
L0SER
I am ChemE who has been in the DEP for 5 years now and I feel like I have become typecast out of any traditional ChemE role. I graduated quite some years ago. Is there any way to get back into chemical engineering? How can my permit writing skills be used elsewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
DEP?

Department of Environmental Protection (hint was "permit writing skills ")

Vanadium 50 said:
DEP?

1612716956458.png

https://insidethemagic-119e2.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/2015_Film_JohnnyDepp-1-780x400.jpg

• Haha
Likes phinds
Very funny. Now can we please get back to my problem.

What kind of ChemE positions have you seen in job postings in your geographical area? Do their requirements match your background at all? If not, what do you need to add to get closer to qualifying for those positions? If you are currently at the BS level, would getting your Master's degree help qualify you for more job growth?

Likes CalcNerd
L0SER said:
Very funny. Now can we please get back to my problem.
Hey, you started it !

Likes Vanadium 50 and berkeman
L0SER said:
I am ChemE who has been in the DEP
Vanadium 50 said:
DEP?
We shouldn't need to decode uncommonly used acronyms...

Likes Vanadium 50
Sadly, this appears to be another drive-by posting.

Vanadium 50 said:
Sadly, this appears to be another drive-by posting.
Yeah, well look at his "name"

Likes CalcNerd
Why did you spend 5 years doing something you didn't want to be " typecasted" as?

1. Can I still apply my knowledge and skills in chemical engineering after 5 years in the DEP?

Yes, you can still apply your knowledge and skills in chemical engineering after 5 years in the DEP. Your time in the DEP may have given you valuable experience in areas such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and project management, which are all important skills in the field of chemical engineering.

2. Will my previous experience in chemical engineering still be relevant after 5 years in the DEP?

Yes, your previous experience in chemical engineering will still be relevant after 5 years in the DEP. While there may have been advancements and changes in the field, the fundamental principles and concepts of chemical engineering remain the same.

3. Will I need to update my knowledge and skills before transitioning back into chemical engineering?

It is always beneficial to update your knowledge and skills in any field, including chemical engineering. However, if you have been actively using your skills in the DEP, it is likely that you will have a strong foundation and may not need extensive updating. It is recommended to do some research and possibly take some refresher courses to stay up-to-date with any advancements or changes in the field.

4. Will my time in the DEP be considered as relevant experience in chemical engineering?

Yes, your time in the DEP can be considered as relevant experience in chemical engineering. While it may not be directly related to the field, the skills and experience gained in the DEP may still be applicable and valuable in a chemical engineering role. Be sure to highlight these transferable skills and experience in your resume and job applications.

5. Will transitioning back into chemical engineering after 5 years in the DEP be difficult?

This can vary depending on individual circumstances. If you have kept up with industry developments and have maintained your skills, transitioning back into chemical engineering may not be difficult. However, if there have been significant changes in the field or if you have not actively used your skills in the DEP, it may take some time and effort to get back into the swing of things. Networking, attending conferences and workshops, and taking refresher courses can all help ease the transition back into chemical engineering.