Is it possible to go back to biomedical engineering after teaching?

In summary, the speaker is currently pursuing a master's in education while also feeling unsatisfied due to not using their biomedical engineering degree. They are considering changing back to an engineering career, but are unsure if their lack of professional experience will be a disadvantage. The other person reassures them that they are not at a significant disadvantage and encourages them to go for it.
Iamconfusion
I graduated undergrad as a biomedical engineer but received an amazing opportunity to earn my masters in education for a reduced price and earn a full-time teacher’s salary. I’m about halfway done with the 2 year program and am feeling unsatisfied due to not using my engineering degree. I was wondering if I’d find difficulties changing careers back to engineering, although I have no professional engineering experience. Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're only a year out from your degree I don't think you would have any more trouble than a new grad, except you won't have the assistance of on-campus recruiting. Since you're still in school, I wouldn't think of it (or approach it) as "changing careers back to engineering" because that would be really hard.

When you do interviews and people ask, but up front about why you don't plan to use your master's degree and most hiring managers will accept it.

So, all in all, I would say you aren't at much of a disadvantage compared to new BS grads since you're only a year out.

Good luck!

Go for it.

Sure, you might have to explain why you deviated into teaching for a while, but in most cases that's not going to be a reason for rejecting you for a job. Being out for a year or two is generally not seen as a bad thing, particularly if you were focused on something else. Once you've been out for three years or more, there will probably be some questions about how up-to-date you've kept your skills. Even those aren't insurmountable though.

1. Can I return to biomedical engineering after teaching for a long time?

Yes, it is possible to go back to biomedical engineering after teaching for a long time. Many professionals in various fields take breaks from their careers and then return to them later on. As long as you have the necessary qualifications and skills, you can transition back into biomedical engineering.

2. Will my teaching experience be relevant to biomedical engineering?

Yes, your teaching experience can be valuable in biomedical engineering. Teaching involves many transferable skills such as communication, problem-solving, and critical thinking, which are all important in engineering. Additionally, your teaching experience may have given you insights into the education and training of future engineers.

3. Do I need to update my skills and knowledge before returning to biomedical engineering?

It is advisable to update your skills and knowledge before returning to biomedical engineering, especially if there have been significant advancements in the field during your teaching career. You can take courses, attend workshops or conferences, or even volunteer or shadow professionals in the field to refresh your skills and learn about any new developments.

4. Are there any challenges I may face when returning to biomedical engineering after teaching?

There may be some challenges when returning to biomedical engineering after teaching, such as getting up to speed with new technologies or adjusting to the fast-paced and competitive nature of the industry. However, with dedication and a willingness to learn, these challenges can be overcome.

5. Will my salary be affected if I go back to biomedical engineering after teaching?

This will depend on various factors such as your experience, qualifications, and the specific company or organization you work for. In general, your salary may be lower or higher compared to when you were teaching, but it is possible to negotiate for a competitive salary based on your skills and experience.