Can I Use a Lead Acid Charging Circuit After a Boost Converter for Solar Panels?

In summary, the conversation discusses the simulation and calculation of a solar charge controller for a lead acid battery. The speaker has successfully simulated two solar panels in parallel with a switched capacitor boost converter, but now needs to provide a constant 12V output for the battery and load. They inquire about using a lead acid charging circuit from a textbook instead of a load resistance, and also question the use of voltage doubling when using the panels in series would provide the necessary voltage for charging. They also mention that the current in a capacitor-based circuit is lower compared to a conventional DC-DC converter that uses an inductor as the main energy storage element.
Hina Gohar
I am working on simulation and calculation of solar charge controller for lead acid battery..I simulated two solar panel in parallel along with switched capacitor dc-dc boost converter which is basically voltage doubler and it is working properly but now I need 12V on output of this boost converter to fed battery and dc load of 40W total..this boost converter every time provide double of input voltage while I need 12V constant for lead acid 12V and 100AH battery.One lead acid charging circuit is given in Boylestad Electronic Devices book my question is that can I use this circuit after my boost converter instead of load resistance..

Attachments

• boost converter.gif
    boost converter.gif
    13.9 KB · Views: 470
  • lead acid charging ckt.jpg
    lead acid charging ckt.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 357
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why do you voltage double parallel panels when you can simply use the panels in series?

To charge a 12V battery you will need closer to 13.8V with a negative temperature coefficient.

That 13.8V could be produced with a switching buck converter from two panels in series.

Baluncore said:
Why do you voltage double parallel panels when you can simply use the panels in series?

To charge a 12V battery you will need closer to 13.8V with a negative temperature coefficient.

That 13.8V could be produced with a switching buck converter from two panels in series.

In this circuit I have seen current is very low.What's the reason that in capacitor based circuit current is low while in conventional DC-DC converter current is high in which inductor used as main energy storage element.

1. What is a solar charge controller?

A solar charge controller is a device that regulates the voltage and current that flows between a solar panel and a battery. It ensures that the battery is charged efficiently and prevents overcharging or undercharging, which can damage the battery.

2. How does a solar charge controller work?

A solar charge controller uses a technique called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) to control the flow of electricity from the solar panel to the battery. It switches the connection between the solar panel and battery on and off very quickly, regulating the amount of energy that is transferred to the battery.

3. What are the different types of solar charge controllers?

The most common types of solar charge controllers are PWM and Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT). PWM controllers are more affordable and suitable for smaller systems, while MPPT controllers are more efficient and better suited for larger systems.

4. Do I need a solar charge controller?

If you are using a solar panel to charge a battery, it is highly recommended to use a solar charge controller. Without one, you risk damaging your battery and reducing its lifespan.

5. How do I choose the right solar charge controller for my system?

To choose the right solar charge controller, you will need to consider the voltage and current ratings of your solar panel and battery, as well as the type of controller (PWM or MPPT) that is most suitable for your system. It is also important to ensure that the controller has enough capacity to handle the maximum output of your solar panel.