Can I Use GIMP to Edit My Checkerboard Images for Synthetic Schlieren Imaging?

• B
  • Thread starter Keith_McClary
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Imaging
In summary, the author used a method called "Synthetic schlieren" to create an image of air blowing out of a vacuum cleaner. The image was displayed on a monitor and showed waves in the air. The author found that the image was encouraging and that if tinker with the contrast and brightness of the pictures, more detail may be seen.
Keith_McClary
I tried the method of
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/320344649_Synthetic_Schlieren_--_application_to_the_visualization_and_characterization_of_air_convection
Instead of their "checkerboard printed on a transparent plastic sheet and back illuminated by a led panel" I made a checkerboard image and displayed it on my monitor. I took a picture (Panasonic DMC-FZ50, tripod) of the monitor from about 3m and again with a lighter flame halfway between. After subtracting the images as described in their supplementary materials (at the end of the paper), I get:
?temp_hash=5ffec8601824615a1aa2fa5117f98510.png

I accidentally subtracted two flame images:

I tried to upload my checkerboard images (1920x1200 and 1440x900) but PF munged them into 800 wide. Is there a way to do this? The PNG files are < 50k.

Attachments

• flame.png
    flame.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 488
  • 23-24.png
    23-24.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 493
  • ?temp_hash=5ffec8601824615a1aa2fa5117f98510.png
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,178
  • ?temp_hash=5ffec8601824615a1aa2fa5117f98510.png
    90.3 KB · Views: 1,154
Physics news on Phys.org
That's a really cool method for displaying the way convection currents deflect the light. Clever idea that seems to be based on sampling, rather than straight phase differences. (?)
Imagine that the pitch of the chequerboard needs to be optimal because you would want the deflection always to be less than the pitch or you could get aliasing. Your results are pretty impressive - no doubt that the waves are there. Excellent idea to use a TV screen as your source as you can easily change the pitch of the board and the display costs nothing.
I only skimmed the article (of course!) but I wonder if you could improve contrast by varying the amplitude of the 'reference' picture and then increasing the gain. I have a tiny bit of experience of astrophotography, which has quite a lot in common with your experiment and there is a lot of altering gains, subtracting images etc. involved. Also, I would imagine that the letting the temperature of the test equipment settle down with no natural convection currents and then making the images fairly quickly. Did you try displaying a negative image? I have seen Schlieren Photos displayed both ways. Photoshop (others are available) can be your friend here.

I can make the checkerboard image with 3x3 squares using ImageMagick in Ubuntu Linux command line by:

convert -size 3x3 xc:white white.jpg; convert -size 3x3 xc:black black.jpg; montage white.jpg black.jpg black.jpg white.jpg -geometry 3x3 cell.jpg

and then:

display -size 1920x1200 tile:cell.jpg

(insert your own monitor resolution) and then save the file using the ImageMagick menu.

(I couldn't figure out how to create the file directly on the command line as described here.)

Keith_McClary said:
(I couldn't figure out how to create the file directly on the command line as described here.)
Simple Image files really are not complicated things. They are just 2D arrays (pixel values) into which you can put what you like. All you need to do is to do the code the pixel address the n,m array elements and insert the data. The file would need to be uncompressed (ie not JPEG) which is much easier to deal with and you would need to put the appropriate few kB of header data on the file which states the format, size and a few other things.
Initially, it's a steep mountain to climb if you are not into coding but it would be so useful for the next project and the next and the next. What's you level of experience with coding?

sophiecentaur said:
it's a steep mountain to climb
It was a much smaller mountain when I did that sort of thing.
For now I will just post images on Imgur (with 3x3 pixel squares) for some popular resolutions.

Standard Aspect ratio Width (px) Height (px) % of Steam users (August 2018) % of web users (August 2018)
HD ~16:9 1366 768 13.33 27.16
FHD 16:9 1920 1080 63.72 19.57
WXGA+ 16:10 1440 900 3.37 6.61
HD+ 16:9 1600 900 3.55 5.58
WUXGA 16:10 1920 1200 0.84 1.3

BTW, the method is also called "Background-oriented schlieren (BOS)".

Likes sophiecentaur
This is air blowing out of a vacuum cleaner ("crevice tool" connected to the exhaust end):
?temp_hash=d8fcb855cbdf0e67bfef74a6beeebf19.png

At the bottom is a knife blade poking into the air stream. Camera-screen distance ~ 5m. The camera must be focused on the screen, so the vac and knife are out of focus.

This was done with a lesser camera (Samsung D60), distance 2m:

Attachments

• VAC.png
    VAC.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 364
  • FUJI.png
    FUJI.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 390
  • ?temp_hash=d8fcb855cbdf0e67bfef74a6beeebf19.png
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,118
  • ?temp_hash=d8fcb855cbdf0e67bfef74a6beeebf19.png
    19.4 KB · Views: 1,054
Keith_McClary said:
This is air blowing out of a vacuum cleaner ("crevice tool" connected to the exhaust end):
View attachment 238425
At the bottom is a knife blade poking into the air stream. Camera-screen distance ~ 5m. The camera must be focused on the screen, so the vac and knife are out of focus.

This was done with a lesser camera (Samsung D60), distance 2m:
View attachment 238426
I can see some features in those very dark images and they look encouraging. If you tinker with the contrast and brightness of those pictures, you (and we) may see more detail. You are sure to have access to a photo processing package - it doesn't have to be £10 per month for Photoshop!

sophiecentaur said:
I can see some features in those very dark images and they look encouraging. If you tinker with the contrast and brightness of those pictures, you (and we) may see more detail. You are sure to have access to a photo processing package - it doesn't have to be £10 per month for Photoshop!
There are a number of issues here:
1) It's supposed to be dark. If I put two identical images into the "subtract" process it comes out black. I'm not even sure what the "subtract" is mathematically (I found FIJI's explanation, but it was late :oldconfused: ).
2) Detail is limited by the focus issue. With the better camera I can reduce the aperture to get more depth of field, but the trade-off is longer exposure, which means motion blur. With a printed checkerboard as in the paper I could use photoflash to "freeze" the motion, but that won't work for the monitor image.
3) I was using "AUTO" setting, so the flame probably influenced the exposure. I could use some non-luminous heat source or use manual settings (on the better camera).

Last edited:
Keith_McClary said:
It's supposed to be dark.
I am not criticising in any way and you can do what you want with your pictures but why are the images supposed to be dark?
I would say that the essential thing is that the pattern is visible. Perhaps it's important that the black should be a good black but, within the constraints of noise visibility, I would recommend the same approach as in Astrophotography - that the images should be as visible as possible. "Subtracting" the grid pattern from the image with the heat would tend to reduce the contribution of the grid. This is very much like the process of taking "dark" frames, which contain just the irregularities of the image sensor and which can be subtracted from a feeble image of the sky, leaving only the wanted pattern (not just stars but diffuse nebulae and galaxies. Pretty well every astro image that's published will have been treated this way. As Fiiji describes.
Keith_McClary said:
Detail is limited by the focus issue.
Is it likely that the pattern of currents would be finer than the focus of the camera? Low pass spatial filtering is useful here because it loses the unwanted pattern of the original grid pattern. (SImilar to the low pass filter that follows the DAC processing)
Keith_McClary said:
I was using "AUTO" setting,
AUTO leaves it to the camera and the camera will do its best and assume that the scene is a regular one; your image is not a regular one. I am surprised that the images are not 'cranked up to grey' in the same way that night time scenes with low lighting are

Likes davenn
The cited paper (in the Supplementary Materials) suggests a contrast adjustment and Gaussian blur but I didn't think it was an improvement.
sophiecentaur said:
I am surprised that the images are not 'cranked up to grey' in the same way that night time scenes with low lighting are
The actual photos are bright - it is the subtracted image that is dark.

Keith_McClary said:
The actual photos are bright - it is the subtracted image that is dark.
YEs that makes sense. But what makes you say that the processing of resulting image should stop with the basic 'difference' image? It's already not the original so where's the objection to making the features stand out?
It won't cost you anything to try changing the contrast and brightness to give a dark background and brighter features.
BTW If, on your posher camera, you have the option to use a RAW or TIFF output file, the processing will probably be more likely to give better and more visible results. jpeg files are compressed and can contain artefacts. You should try focusing on the patterned screen and doing the difference process between two sharp images. Then you should find the Gaussian Blur would nicely low pass filter the result. I think that's in fact why the Gaussian Blur is suggested in your resource.
It's a good project you're doing and it would be worth while getting the best out of it.

sophiecentaur said:
try changing the contrast and brightness
This is with contrast adjustment and Gaussian blur.
?temp_hash=06828e17294e049ff9e9b7bc798ea298.png

Attachments

• CROP_Gauss.png
    CROP_Gauss.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 366
  • ?temp_hash=06828e17294e049ff9e9b7bc798ea298.png
    ?temp_hash=06828e17294e049ff9e9b7bc798ea298.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 709
Keith_McClary said:
I tried to upload my checkerboard images (1920x1200 and 1440x900) but PF munged them into 800 wide. Is there a way to do this? The PNG files are < 50k.
upload them to an image hosting www site ... photobucket etc
then post a link here to the image location

you really don't want to be posting 800kb ++ files up to PF, as you have done
( consider who has to pay for the storage space :smile: )ohhh and convert you .png to .jpg ... png files are horribly bloated in size

davenn said:
ohhh and convert you .png to .jpg ... png files are horribly bloated in size
BUT only after processing! For critical images, using another picture storage site is probably a better strategy - even if it's more trouble.

Keith_McClary said:
This is with contrast adjustment and Gaussian blur.
Ahh. That's much easier to see. It's getting to be impressive. Your project encompasses several different disciplines; you have AstroPhotography and Sampling methods to deal with. All good stuff though and worth getting into.

I can see hints of the grid in the image which could be eliminated / reduced by increasing the radius of the Gaussian blur control. Can you post an image of the grid and also the effect of the blur in it? That filtering can be experimented with before you do the Schlieren stuff. It's a compromise between getting rid of the grid pattern without degrading the wanted pattern and you have to suck it and see.
You haven't commented about what you focus on; is it the grid itself, rather than the knife edge? The processing really needs the sharpest grid to work on, I think. The knife edge may turn out a bit fuzzy but the contrast of the Schlieren pattern could be improved that way. Astro Photographers do a lot of 'massaging' of their best images and it's common to do a montage, to enhance / suppress some features. If you have an image processing app that allows you to mask, you could get the best of both worlds by laying the schlieren image on top of a sharp knife edge. All's fair in love and photography!

PS For the subtraction to work well, you need the two images to be perfectly registered. That means firm tripod mounting unless your image processor allows you to nudge one image to register with the other. Also, afaics, the contrast of the original i pictures should be high (and equal for the two); the processor has plenty of information about the relative phases of the two grids. You are taking the difference between two large quantities and they need to be different only in respect of the relative phases of the grids; it's a bit of a balancing act unless you can find some software to do it for you. There are a number of Astro 'Stacking' applications that would do it and drag the maximum useful info out of your measurements.

Last edited:
sophiecentaur said:
That means firm tripod mounting
I used a tripod and the shutter timer or remote shutter to avoid jiggling it.
This is a picture of the monitor with checkerboard
qYTS4gw.jpg

and with a flame:
D8jdjMw.jpg

To see the checkerboard you need to download the image and use an "image viewer" program to zoom in (the squares are 3x3 pixels).
The Samsung image posted above is the result of subtracting these.

Attachments

• qYTS4gw.jpg
    qYTS4gw.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 740
  • D8jdjMw.jpg
    D8jdjMw.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 739
Last edited:
Keith. So far so good. It's very interesting / encouraging. Presumably you can look at your individual image pixels with a 'dropper' tool. It would be useful to know the peak to peak luminance values of the grid and the element width in pixels. That will tell you the maximum result you will get from the subtraction process when the displacement is one grid cell. That is when (ideal waveform) 000111000111 is subtracted from 111000111000 (giving 111111111111) if you see what I mean. ignoring the peak luminance (it doesn't matter if it limits at the actual flame), the peak to peak for the grid is not very high and it's that pk-pk value that gives the maximum possible. I can't tell from the jpeg image whether the picture is just not in focus, the grid is low pk-pk or the jpeg is filling in the grid squares. You could try to find a way to increase that original grid contrast, which can only benefit your final result.
Sorry if I'm going over some stuff that you already know but no harm done if an idea turns up twice. There is another point here. If the actual amount of refraction is a small fraction of the grid spacing then the output from the 'phase detection process' will be small.
Reading your earlier posts, I see that the actual grid source is a jpeg image. Does it look a lot sharper than the images you have posted? I would imagine that you could get hold of a better source grid image. Is there, by any chance, an alternative format for the grid image in your software? That could improve things a lot because you really need sharp edges on the grid to make it very phase sensitive. That is why I think focussing on the monitor grid is very important. What does the picture look like through a magnifying lens? Is it sharpish?

sophiecentaur said:
the actual grid source is a jpeg image. Does it look a lot sharper than the images you have posted?
They are in post 5. You can download and display in full screen mode. If your screen resolution is not included I can make it.

Keith_McClary said:
They are in post 5. You can download and display in full screen mode. If your screen resolution is not included I can make it.
Sorry - I kept scrolling past that post 5 and I may have been wasting your time about that problem. Eventually, I got it right and you have good 3X3 squares with 000 255 255 255 in your original image. One question is do you actually see that with a lens on your screen? If the resolution isn't just right, you get all sorts of odd patterns - which is what I can see on your posted images. But what I see there is not relevant because the phase detection will have been done already. It is also necessary to have the sensor pixels correct I think or you can get aliasing on the images you are trying to process. The anti aliasing filter over the sensor will be losing some of that detail. What happens if you use a much coarser grid for the exercise, initially? The image sensor may be able to handle it better. OR you could see what camera images you get when you move in and out from the monitor screen. I may have introduced another significant problem with this - or at least with getting the equipment set up for optimum.
PS Astro photography rears its head again because it is necessary to know the pixel size of the image sensor when using a guide scope.

sophiecentaur said:
Sorry - I kept scrolling past that post 5 and I may have been wasting your time about that problem. Eventually, I got it right and you have good 3X3 squares with 000 255 255 255 in your original image. One question is do you actually see that with a lens on your screen? If the resolution isn't just right, you get all sorts of odd patterns - which is what I can see on your posted images. But what I see there is not relevant because the phase detection will have been done already. It is also necessary to have the sensor pixels correct I think or you can get aliasing on the images you are trying to process. The anti aliasing filter over the sensor will be losing some of that detail. What happens if you use a much coarser grid for the exercise, initially? The image sensor may be able to handle it better. OR you could see what camera images you get when you move in and out from the monitor screen. I may have introduced another significant problem with this - or at least with getting the equipment set up for optimum.
PS Astro photography rears its head again because it is necessary to know the pixel size of the image sensor when using a guide scope.
With a "jewler's loupe" I can see the 3x3 pixel squares and the 3 RGB stripes on each pixel.
The camera photos are different resolutions (Samsung 2816x2112, Panasonic 3648x2736) which causes a Moire effect. Your image viewer may have a 100% setting, which will show only part of the photo on your screen (unless you have a 4HD monitor :smile:) , but might remove some of the odd patterns.
If you zoom in on part of the Samsung image in post 6, it looks like this:

wVTxbGO.png

(Actually, this is from a "negative" version of that image, subtracted the wrong way.)
The colours are due to the RGB stripes on the monitor (and possibly also the arrangement of RGB sensors in the camera).

Attachments

• wVTxbGO.png
    wVTxbGO.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 731
I set my monitor resolution to 1920 X 1200 but I was not convinced by what I saw but I looked, eventually, at the images with Photoshop and, with the right zoom setting, I got a perfect chequer pattern with the computer generated pattern - so I assume that's what you get with your loupe, in real life. Photoshop is clever and seems to do the appropriate filtering to allow any zoom without visible aliasing. (Well, you have to expect something from all that rental money)
That image shows the effect of shifting elements of the image well. I don't know why those opposite diagonal stripes appear in the difference signal pattern. Some form of beat / alias pattern. It's very definite, though and there is a region where the subtraction is total. There is a possible problem, trying to look at such fine detail and that could be because the sensor (Bayer) filter may not coincide with the dots on the screen. Sensors can differ for different makes so there could be clashes when trying to work at almost pixel level. Unless you really want the visual field that you are using, you could perhaps use a coarser grid and put the screen further back.

I know these things often sort themselves out but I wonder if it would be worth switching the image to greyscale before doing the arithmetic. There are so many things you could vary that it's quite daunting. But your results are certainly going in the right direction. I really like the idea of an electronic source, compared with a printed screen - but I wonder if 'they' tried a TV screen first and found it was limiting the quality of their results. You could try emailing the workers and asking them.

sophiecentaur said:
I don't know why those opposite diagonal stripes appear in the difference signal pattern.
Here is a zoom of part of a subtracted image that should be black. The pattern is due to the camera moving slightly between shots.
dZOkQGG.png

The white horizontals and coloured verticals are because the RGB lines within each pixel are vertical.

Attachments

• dZOkQGG.png
    dZOkQGG.png
    68.1 KB · Views: 623
I find that the subtraction can be done by an ImageMagick command:
composite -compose minus_src ref.JPG flame.JPG output.JPG

On Linux, ImageMagick may be installed by default. It is available for Mac and Windows.

I made checkerboards for 4K resolution (3840x2160) with 3, 4 and 5 pixel squares in addition to those previosly posted:
Keith_McClary said:
Standard Aspect ratio Width (px) Height (px) % of Steam users (August 2018) % of web users (August 2018)
HD ~16:9 1366 768 13.33 27.16
FHD 16:9 1920 1080 63.72 19.57
WXGA+ 16:10 1440 900 3.37 6.61
HD+ 16:9 1600 900 3.55 5.58
WUXGA 16:10 1920 1200 0.84 1.3

Likes sophiecentaur
@Keith_McClary good to hear from you again and that you are still at it!

Also 4K resolution (3840x2160) with 1 and 2 pixel squares.

Keith_McClary said:
I looked at those links but there are just two uniform grey fields of pixels.

As a hobby project I developed a maximum entropy image reconstruction algorithm for noise reduction in image processing. I tried it out on the knife in vacuum cleaner exhaust image.
VAC.png

My program generated this image:

vac_me.png

You can see some of the features of turbulence caused by the knife which are not visible in the original.

Keith_McClary said:
After capturing and inspecting those images I compute they are from a 30in. (762mm) diagonally-measured monitor with a pixel pitch of 104ppi (pixels per inch, about 4 pixels per mm), the same pitch as my 23in. It also looks like the 1-pixel image is noticeably out of focus. The 2-pixel has perfect focus, I can even see the screen structure between the pixels. Amazing!

Nice work, Keith!

Cheers,
Tom

Fred Wright said:
My program generated this image:
This is very encouraging. Have you considered do a bit of tiffling with 'curves and levels' on Photoshop (or equivalent) to make the image more visible to the eye? It's not cheating and would make the results much more accessible. Increase the gain / slope a bit but keep the blacks black.
Your program could easily identify the brightness range and do some useful scaling on its own, without human intervention.

This is the setup with the 4K TV. The checkerboard image is on a USB stick plugged into the TV.
up.JPG

This is the hot air rising from a soldering iron:
47.JPG

and from a candle (I didn't wait for the air to settle):
candle.JPG

Keith_McClary said:
This is the setup with the 4K TV. The checkerboard image is on a USB stick plugged into the TV.

This is the hot air rising from a soldering iron:

and from a candle (I didn't wait for the air to settle):
Good work. It's such a good idea; you're obviously getting somewhere with it.

You can probably improve on the contrast with 'Curves and Levels' controls in a photo imaging app. Astrophotographers are doing that all the time. What is the shape of the brightness profile (ie how sharp and what contrast and spatial frequency) of the grid you start with? There's probably an optimum which could perhaps give you much more visible.
How does distance from the camera affect things? (i.e. sensor pixel / display pixel spacing ratio)
Total darkness could also help to squeeze as much out of the levels and curves treatment.
Also, what do you get when you use a piece of glass or a lens ( in place of the hot gases? If you can get a one square displacement by refraction, you should be able to get near full contrast in your final image. One step at a time could be a good approach, to find what's your limiting experimental factor.

sophiecentaur said:
This is very encouraging. Have you considered do a bit of tiffling with 'curves and levels' on Photoshop (or equivalent) to make the image more visible to the eye? It's not cheating and would make the results much more accessible. Increase the gain / slope a bit but keep the blacks black.
Your program could easily identify the brightness range and do some useful scaling on its own, without human intervention.
Thank you for your interest and observations of my maximum entropy noise reduction (MENR) hobby project. I don't have Photoshop. I use OpenCV and program subroutines in C++. I have to figure out how to implement histogram equalization of the histogram of the entire image coupled with a local stretching function. I have, however, developed an alternate technique which I call "semi-holographic contrast enhancement"(SHCE).
For your amusement, I processed the two images recently posted by @Keith_McClary using both MENR and SHCE. For Keith's image
47.JPG

MENR yields
47me.jpg

I processed this image with SHCE to get
47holo.jpg

For Keith's image:
candle.JPG

MENR yields
candleme.jpg

Processing this image with SHCE yields
candleholo.jpg

Likes sophiecentaur
Fred Wright said:
I don't have Photoshop. I use OpenCV and program subroutines in C++.
Great result. It's not necessary to choose between approaches. The high level packages are brilliant but you will, no doubt, be frustrated at what they won't do but don't discount them.

Don't go for Photoshop (£££) unless you are a photography enthusiast but there are many free image processing apps which work at a high level and are easy to interact with. GIMP is an open source package which has been around for years. It's very easy to do what you want with images because its UI is pretty much intuitive. Imo it would certainly be worth while to try it and possibly get a subjectively optimum result. There are a range of filters and other controls which are easy to tinker with and rapidly get to know.

1. What is Synthetic Schlieren Imaging?

Synthetic Schlieren Imaging is an optical technique used to visualize density variations in a fluid flow. It involves the use of a background pattern, such as a grid or stripes, and a digital camera to capture images of the flow. The resulting images can be processed to reveal density gradients and flow patterns that are not visible to the naked eye.

2. How does Synthetic Schlieren Imaging work?

In Synthetic Schlieren Imaging, a background pattern is placed behind the flow of interest. As the flow moves, it causes density variations in the surrounding air. These variations cause the background pattern to appear distorted in the captured images. By analyzing these distortions, the density gradients and flow patterns can be calculated and visualized.

3. What are the advantages of using Synthetic Schlieren Imaging?

Synthetic Schlieren Imaging offers several advantages over traditional Schlieren Imaging techniques. It is non-intrusive, meaning it does not require physical probes or sensors to be placed in the flow. It also has a higher sensitivity and can capture smaller density variations. Additionally, it is a more cost-effective and versatile method, as it can be used with a variety of backgrounds and can be applied to both laminar and turbulent flows.

4. What are the applications of Synthetic Schlieren Imaging?

Synthetic Schlieren Imaging has a wide range of applications in fluid mechanics research and engineering. It can be used to study aerodynamics, heat transfer, and combustion processes. It is also commonly used in wind tunnel testing, aircraft design, and flow visualization in industrial processes. Additionally, it has potential applications in medical imaging and environmental monitoring.

5. What are the limitations of Synthetic Schlieren Imaging?

While Synthetic Schlieren Imaging offers many advantages, it also has some limitations. It is a line-of-sight technique, meaning it can only capture density variations in the direction of the camera. This makes it unsuitable for studying 3D flows. Additionally, it requires careful calibration and image processing to obtain accurate results. Changes in lighting conditions or background patterns can also affect the accuracy of the measurements.

Back