Can I use the circle circumference formula for a sphere?

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating the circumference of a sphere from a given radius and whether or not 19.4 was a correct answer. It was also mentioned that the circumference of a sphere is that of a great circle and not the same as a regular circle.
Perchaddition
Trying to calculate a circumference of a sphere from a radius of 3.09 inches. Is 19.4 a correct answer? Just ran numbers in the first circumference calculator I found http://calcurator.org/circumference-calculator/. Can I use the same formula for a sphere? What can I say ...Geometry is not my passion

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Perchaddition said:
Trying to calculate a circumference of a sphere from a radius of 3.09 inches. Is 19.4 a correct answer?
Yes.
Perchaddition said:
Just ran numbers in the first circumference calculator I found http://calcurator.org/circumference-calculator/. Can I use the same formula for a sphere? What can I say ...Geometry is not my passion
The circumference is always that of a circle. In the case of a sphere, it is the circumference of a great circle, circles of maximal circumference.

• Informative
Likes berkeman, Perchaddition and jedishrfu
Define circumference of a sphere.

Likes jedishrfu and mfb
fresh_42 said:
Yes.

The circumference is always that of a circle. In the case of a sphere, it is the circumference of a great circle, circles of maximal circumference.
Thank you. Appreciate your explanation.

1. Can I use the circle circumference formula for a sphere?

Yes, you can use the circle circumference formula (C=2πr) for a sphere. However, you must use the diameter of the sphere as the radius in the formula.

2. Why do I need to use the diameter instead of the radius for a sphere?

A sphere has a curved surface, unlike a circle which has a flat surface. The radius of a sphere is measured from the center to the edge, while the diameter is measured from one edge to the opposite edge passing through the center. Therefore, using the diameter in the formula takes into account the curved surface of the sphere.

3. Is there a different formula for finding the circumference of a sphere?

Yes, there is a specific formula for finding the circumference of a sphere. It is C=2πr, where r is the radius of the sphere. This formula takes into account the curved surface of the sphere and is more accurate than using the circle circumference formula.

4. Can I use the circle circumference formula for any size sphere?

Yes, you can use the circle circumference formula for any size sphere. As long as you use the diameter as the radius in the formula, it will give you an accurate result.

5. Are there any other formulas for measuring the circumference of a sphere?

Yes, there is another formula called the spherical circumference formula. It is C=2πR, where R is the radius of the sphere. This formula takes into account the thickness of the sphere's surface and is used in more advanced calculations.