Tangent line to circle making 30º with a second circle

In summary, to draw a line which is tangent to a circle and intersects another circle making a 30º intersection, one needs to know the coordinates of the point where the tangent line meets the circle, the radius of the circle, and the angle between the tangent line and the horizontal.
GONURVIA
Hi all, this is my first thread!

I am having problems trying to find the way of drawing a line which is tangent to a circle and intersects another circle making a 30º intersection.

Let´s say I have circle A with coordinates 479183.87, 4365099.87 (x1,y1) and a radius of 27780m. I have a second circle, B, with coordinates 488889.66, 4390316.69 (x2,y2) and a radius of 5294m. I would like to draw a line which joins both circle, being the line tangent to circle B and intersects circle A with 30º to its circumference. I've attached an image hoping it helps visually to figure out what I'm trying to ask for

I hope I explained myself correctly. Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• Captura.PNG
    Captura.PNG
    2.9 KB · Views: 61
Mathematics news on Phys.org
GONURVIA said:
Hi all, this is my first thread!

I am having problems trying to find the way of drawing a line which is tangent to a circle and intersects another circle making a 30º intersection.

Let´s say I have circle A with coordinates 479183.87, 4365099.87 (x1,y1) and a radius of 27780m. I have a second circle, B, with coordinates 488889.66, 4390316.69 (x2,y2) and a radius of 5294m. I would like to draw a line which joins both circle, being the line tangent to circle B and intersects circle A with 30º to its circumference. I've attached an image hoping it helps visually to figure out what I'm trying to ask for

I hope I explained myself correctly. Thanks everyone!
Hi GONURVIA, and welcome to MHB!

[TIKZ][scale=6]
\clip (7,8.25) rectangle (10,9.6) ;
\draw (7.92,6.51) circle (2.78cm) ;
\draw (8.89,9.03) circle (0.53cm) ;
\coordinate [label=above:$C$] (C) at (8.16,9.28) ;
\coordinate [label=above:$D$] (D) at (8.666,9.512) ;
\draw (9.156,9.193) -- (C) -- (D) ;
\draw (7.92,6.51) -- (C) ;
[/TIKZ]
I assume that $(x_1,y_1)$ and $(x_2,y_2)$ are the centres of the two circles.

Let $C$ be the point where the tangent line meets circle $A$. Suppose that the radius there (the line from $(x_1,y_1)$ to $C$) makes an angle $\theta$ with the horizontal axis. Denoting the radius of circle $A$ by $R$, the coordinates of $C$ are $(x_1+R\cos\theta,y_1+R\sin\theta)$. The tangent to circle $B$ then has to be at an angle $\theta-60^\circ$ to the horizontal. So the equation of the tangent line is $$y-y_1-R\sin\theta = \tan(\theta-60^\circ)(x-x_1-R\cos\theta).$$ Using a bit of trigonometry, that becomes $$(x-x_1)\sin(\theta-60^\circ) - (y-y_1)\cos(\theta-60^\circ) + R\sin(60^\circ) = 0.$$ The condition for that line to be a tangent to circle $B$ is that the distance from $(x_2,y_2)$ to the line should be equal to $r$, the radius of circle $B$. The formula for the distance from a point to a line then gives the equation $$(x_2-x_1)\sin(\theta-60^\circ) - (y_2-y_1)\cos(\theta-60^\circ) + R\sin(60^\circ) = r.$$ (Strictly speaking, the left side of that equation should have absolute value signs round it. But since it turns out that it is already positive, I have left them out.)

Let $\alpha$ be the angle such that $\tan\alpha = \dfrac{y_2-y_1}{x_2-x_1}.$ Then a further bit of trigonometry shows that $$\sin(\theta-\alpha - 60^\circ) = \frac{r-R\sin(60^\circ)}{\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2 + (y_2-y_1)^2}}.$$ You can then start putting in the numerical values for $x_1,x_2,y_1,y_2,R$ and $r$, to find first $\alpha$, then $\theta$ and then the coordinates for $C$.

I only have a small pocket calculator, so I can only work to a few significant figures. The results I get are $$\alpha \approx 68.95^\circ,$$ $$\theta \approx 84.97^\circ,$$ $$C \approx (481600,4392800).$$ Finally, the point $D$ where the tangent line touches circle $B$ is given by $D = (x_2 + r\cos(\theta+30^\circ), y_2+r\sin(\theta+30^\circ))$, or approximately $(486600,4395100)$.

Opalg, thank you very much! That was exactly what I was asking for. I appreciate the detailed explanation of how to solve the problem step by step, very helpful!

1. What is a tangent line to a circle?

A tangent line to a circle is a line that touches the circle at only one point, called the point of tangency. This line is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at the point of tangency.

2. How is the angle between a tangent line and a circle measured?

The angle between a tangent line and a circle is measured as the angle between the tangent line and the radius of the circle at the point of tangency. This angle is always 90 degrees.

3. How is the angle of 30 degrees determined in relation to the tangent line and a second circle?

The angle of 30 degrees is determined by drawing a line from the point of tangency to the center of the second circle. This line will form a right angle with the tangent line, creating a 30 degree angle between the two circles.

4. What is the significance of the tangent line making an angle of 30 degrees with a second circle?

The tangent line making an angle of 30 degrees with a second circle indicates that the two circles are externally tangent. This means that they touch at only one point on their outer edges.

5. Can a tangent line make an angle of 30 degrees with more than one circle?

Yes, a tangent line can make an angle of 30 degrees with multiple circles. This occurs when the circles are all externally tangent to each other, forming a triangle with 30 degree angles at each point of tangency.