Can I waterproof my alabaster stein to use as a drinking mug?

• Thread starter IHateMayonnaise
  • Start date
In summary, people suggest using an acrylic or sealant to waterproof the stein, and that it must be applied to both the inside and out.
IHateMayonnaise
Hello!

I have an unusual waterproofing question. I recently purchased a rather beautiful stein hand-made out of alabaster (a pliable type of stone). Upon being sold this item, I was repeatedly warned that it is strictly for decoration, and is not designed to retain water (or beer), since alabaster is water-soluble and water will destroy it. So, I am on a quest to see if it viable to somehow waterproof my stein in a way that will be both effective and non-toxic.

In my mind I feel as though the best solution would be melting down some sort of plastic and applying it on the inside, however I am not sure how I would go about doing that. Another option is smearing the inside with multiple coats of some sort of water sealant, such as thompson's multi-purpose waterproofer or something similar. Or possibly some sort of acrylic or latex paint. The question still remains whether or not these will be effective, non-toxic, and also whether or not they'll leave a weird taste.

I know this is a tall order, but I thought Id poke around and see what people have to say. Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe if you coat the inside with mayonnaise...?

I would propose Thompson's multi-purpose waterseal, but perhaps better would be acrylic, rather than latex, paint or sealant. Other ideas might be an appropriate expoxy, the kind used to seal or provide a waterproof seal to cement or concrete.

Maybe you can put an actual cup inside of it, and then seal the top of the cup to the stein.

My first thought would be an acrylic. Not paint, though; more the stuff that they make paperweights and whatnot out of. The only brand that I'm familiar with is Envirotex Lite, but I don't even know whether or not they still make it. I last used it 25 years ago. It's a binary that you mix and then apply. Kind of odd to work with, though.
One thing to mention is that whatever you use, apply it to the entire inner and outer surfaces. Just coating the inside won't do you any good when you have to wash it or spill something when pouring.

Danger said:
My first thought would be an acrylic. Not paint, though; more the stuff that they make paperweights and whatnot out of. The only brand that I'm familiar with is Envirotex Lite, but I don't even know whether or not they still make it. I last used it 25 years ago. It's a binary that you mix and then apply. Kind of odd to work with, though.
One thing to mention is that whatever you use, apply it to the entire inner and outer surfaces. Just coating the inside won't do you any good when you have to wash it or spill something when pouring.

They still seem to make Envirotex Lite, not quite sure where to get it though. Is acrylic non-toxic though? I mean, would it leave any sort of funky taste? Also do you know if acrylic would happily bind to natural stone? Thanks everyone for your replies!

IHateMayonnaise said:
They still seem to make Envirotex Lite, not quite sure where to get it though.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Envirotex+lite (the third link) ;-)

And Danger is right - you have got to coat both inside and out since once you pour a cold drink in it it will "sweat" especially in high humidity.

IHateMayonnaise said:
Hello!

I have an unusual waterproofing question. I recently purchased a rather beautiful stein hand-made out of alabaster (a pliable type of stone). Upon being sold this item, I was repeatedly warned that it is strictly for decoration, and is not designed to retain water (or beer), since alabaster is water-soluble and water will destroy it. So, I am on a quest to see if it viable to somehow waterproof my stein in a way that will be both effective and non-toxic.

In my mind I feel as though the best solution would be melting down some sort of plastic and applying it on the inside, however I am not sure how I would go about doing that. Another option is smearing the inside with multiple coats of some sort of water sealant, such as thompson's multi-purpose waterproofer or something similar. Or possibly some sort of acrylic or latex paint. The question still remains whether or not these will be effective, non-toxic, and also whether or not they'll leave a weird taste.

I know this is a tall order, but I thought Id poke around and see what people have to say. Thanks yall

IHateMayonnaise

this stuff
http://www.granitecitytool.com/docs/msds/stonetech/msds_hglacquerwb.pdf

Equate said:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Envirotex+lite (the third link) ;-)

And Danger is right - you have got to coat both inside and out since once you pour a cold drink in it it will "sweat" especially in high humidity.

When I said that I wasnt sure where to get it I wasnt asking for help, just commenting that it is not at home depot/lowe's/ace hardware. For right now I am not so much worried about where to get something as to whether or not it will kill me..

junglebeast said:
this stuff

the MSDS for that stuff scares the bajeesus out of me, otherwise it seems perfect

junglebeast said:
this stuff

:eek:
The warnings for that stuff scare the hell out of me. I don't think that I'd trust it to not leech at least a tiny bit into the cup's contents.
IHM, acrylic is completely non-toxic and tasteless, at least once hardened. I have a coffee cup and several glasses made entirely of it. Essentially, it's Plexiglass.

Danger said:
:eek:
The warnings for that stuff scare the hell out of me. I don't think that I'd trust it to not leech at least a tiny bit into the cup's contents.
IHM, acrylic is completely non-toxic and tasteless, at least once hardened. I have a coffee cup and several glasses made entirely of it. Essentially, it's Plexiglass.

Right, well that's what I was hoping. But my question is whether or not the acrylic goo that I can get at Home Depot/Lowe's has the exact same non-toxic qualities as the acrylic we receive from factories. hmm?

I don't think you want acrylic goo...you want acrylic lacquer. It's clear, durable, water insoluble..the same stuff used to finish cars and wood tables. I wouldn't expect it to be dissolving in beer. Apply by spray.

junglebeast said:
I don't think you want acrylic goo...you want acrylic lacquer. It's clear, durable, water insoluble..the same stuff used to finish cars and wood tables. I wouldn't expect it to be dissolving in beer. Apply by spray.

hmmm well the stein has somewhat of an awkward shape, might be best to get it in liquid form rather than spray. Anywho Ill do it and see what happens, thanks everyone! (feel free to throw in some more comments though :))

IHateMayonnaise

I don't know what would be safe. I'd be very hesitant to pick up anything at your local hardware store if it doesn't specifically say it's food grade or safe on food processing surfaces.

One thing that does come to mind as a possibility is that you might inquire at a pottery shop...a place where they make pottery, not just where you buy it. While the glazes used on pottery are usually baked on, maybe there's something they use that doesn't need to be baked on and is safe for food.

I guess I am just an unimaginative wet blanket. Why not set it on the shelf as a decoration and get a stein made to drink out of. You will only degrade the decorative value of the stein and still not have a decent drinking mug.

1. What is waterproofing and why is it important?

Waterproofing is the process of making a surface or structure resistant to the penetration of water. It is important because it helps prevent damage to buildings and structures, as well as protects the contents inside from water damage.

2. How does waterproofing work?

Waterproofing works by creating a barrier or seal that prevents water from penetrating a surface. This can be achieved through a variety of methods such as using waterproofing membranes, sealants, or coatings.

3. What are the benefits of waterproofing?

The benefits of waterproofing include protecting buildings and structures from water damage, increasing their lifespan, preventing the growth of mold and mildew, and maintaining a healthy and safe environment inside the structure.

4. What are the common areas that require waterproofing?

The common areas that require waterproofing include roofs, basements, foundations, bathrooms, balconies, and swimming pools. Any area that is exposed to water or moisture is susceptible to damage and should be waterproofed.

5. How long does waterproofing last?

The longevity of waterproofing depends on various factors such as the quality of materials used, the application method, and environmental conditions. Generally, waterproofing can last anywhere from 5 to 10 years, but with proper maintenance and repairs, it can last even longer.