Can improper integrals converge without absolute convergence?

In summary, the 'triangle inequality' holds in general for vectors or complex numbers and extablishes that... $$ |\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{i}| \le \sum_{i=1}^{n} |a_{i}|\ (1) $$See here... Triangle Inequality -- from Wolfram MathWorldIn summary, the 'triangle inequality' holds in general for vectors or complex numbers and extablishes that... $$ |\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{i}| \le \sum_{i=1}^{n} |a_{i}|\
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
I know we have the following

\(\displaystyle \big | \int^{b}_{a} f(t) \, dt \big | \leq \int^{b}_{a} |f(t)|\, dt\)

1- How to prove the inequality ,what are the conditions ?
2- Does it work for improper integrals ?

Physics news on Phys.org
ZaidAlyafey said:

\(\displaystyle \big | \int^{b}_{a} f(t) \, dt \big | \leq \int^{b}_{a} |f(t)|\, dt\)

If f(*) is Riemann integrable on (a,b) then the integral is... $$\int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ dt = \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty\ , \text{max} \Delta t_{i} \rightarrow 0} \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} f(t_{i})\ \Delta t_{i}\ (1)$$

For any finite sum is...

$$ |\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} a_{i}| \le \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} |a_{i}|\ (2)$$

... and that proves the item 1...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
$$ |\sum_{i=0}^{n-1} a_{i}| \le \sum_{i=0}^{n-1} |a_{i}|\ (2)$$

That is the triangle inequality on the elements of the sequence , right ?

ZaidAlyafey said:
That is the triangle inequality on the elements of the sequence , right ?

The so called 'triangle inequality' holds in general for vectors or complex numbers and extablishes that...

$$ |\sum_{i=1}^{n} a_{i}| \le \sum_{i=1}^{n} |a_{i}|\ (1) $$

See here...

Triangle Inequality -- from Wolfram MathWorld

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

And since the metric $d(x,y)=|x-y|$ is uniformly continuous, you are justified in passing to the limit for the integral.

Here's how I remember the outline of the proof.

If $f(x)$ and $g(x)$ are integrable on $[a,b]$ (by which I mean Riemann integrable) and $f(x) \le g(x)$ for all $x \in [a,b]$, then $\int_{a}^{b} f(x) \ dx \le \int_{a}^{b} g(x) \ dx$.

Now if $f(x)$ is integrable on $[a,b]$, so is $|f(x)|$.

And $-|f(x)| \le f(x) \le |f(x)|$ for all $ x \in [a,b]$.

So $- \int_{a}^{b} |f(x)| \ dx \le \int_{a}^{b} f(x) \ dx \le \int_{a}^{b} |f(x)| \ dx $.

ZaidAlyafey said:

2- Does it work for improper integrals ?

The answer to point 2 is slighly more complex. If we consider an improper integral in (a,b) where a is a singularity of f(*), then we intend...

$$\int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ dt = \lim_{x \rightarrow a+} \int_{x}^{b} f(t)\ dt\ (1)$$

The problem in such a case is that in can be that $\int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ dt$ converges and $\int_{a}^{b} |f(t)|\ dt$ diverges. An interesting example of such a case is...

$$\int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin \frac {1}{t}}{t}\ dt\ (2)$$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
The answer to point 2 is slighly more complex. If we consider an improper integral in (a,b) where a is a singularity of f(*), then we intend...

$$\int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ dt = \lim_{x \rightarrow a+} \int_{x}^{b} f(t)\ dt\ (1)$$

The problem in such a case is that in can be that $\int_{a}^{b} f(t)\ dt$ converges and $\int_{a}^{b} |f(t)|\ dt$ diverges. An interesting example of such a case is...

$$\int_{0}^{1} \frac{\sin \frac {1}{t}}{t}\ dt\ (2)$$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

This is just like absolute convergence in series . If the integral absolutely convergent then it is convergent . If it is ''absolutely divergent" then the integral may or may not converge.

Related to Can improper integrals converge without absolute convergence?

1. What is the purpose of comparing integrals?

Comparing integrals allows for a deeper understanding of the relationship between different functions and how they change over a given interval. It can also be used to find the area under a curve or to determine the convergence or divergence of a series.

2. How do you compare integrals?

Integrals can be compared using various techniques, such as the comparison test, limit comparison test, and ratio test. These methods involve comparing the given integral to a known integral with known properties, and then using the comparison to determine the convergence or divergence of the integral.

3. What are the conditions for the comparison of integrals to be valid?

The comparison of integrals is valid when the integrals being compared have the same starting and ending points and when the functions being integrated are continuous and positive over the given interval.

4. What is the difference between the comparison test and the limit comparison test?

The comparison test compares the given integral to a known integral, while the limit comparison test compares the limit of the given integral to the limit of the known integral. The limit comparison test is typically used when the given integral is more complicated or difficult to evaluate.

5. Can the comparison of integrals be used for all types of functions?

No, the comparison of integrals is mainly used for power functions and rational functions. It is not applicable for functions with exponential or logarithmic terms, as these functions behave differently and require other methods for comparison.