Can Individual Zero Angular Momenta Result in Nonzero System Angular Momentum?

In summary: But it sounds like a free fall to me. And the puck will have angular momentum (around the center of the rod) that is not zero.In summary, the conversation discussed whether the individual angular momenta of particles in a system could be zero, while the system's collective angular momentum is nonzero. The example given involved a puck on a frictionless air table colliding with a rod and causing the system to spin. It was determined that angular momentum around the impact point is zero before the collision, but the system will rotate around some other point, resulting in a nonzero angular momentum. The concept of relative angular momentum was also discussed.
jcruise322

Homework Statement

Is it possible for the respective angular momenta of each individual particle in a system to be zero, but the system's collective angular momentum be nonzero?

For example, a puck on a frictionless air table moves (without spinning) toward a point on a rod that is not the center of mass of the rod, and orthogonal to the puck's direction of velocity. The puck strikes and sticks to the rod, causing the system to spin. The angular momentum of the puck and the rod is nonzero before the collision, but the angular momentum of the system after the collision is nonzero.

Homework Equations

L=Rxmv
L=I*W

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the angular momentum of a system was just the individual angular momenta of the components-it is true for linear momentum at least, but before the collision the angular momenta of the puck and rod are zero, after they are each non zero. Am I wrong? If I calculated the angular momenta of each particle in the system after the collision and made a summation, would I find it to be zero? Do we have to treat the particles in the system differently from the system itself? Appreciate any feedback, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
jcruise322 said:
angular momentum of the puck and the rod is nonzero before the collision
Nope. You have to take the axis of rotation into consideration too: angular momentum around the impact point is zero, but the system will rotate around some other point.

Not completely the same, but with the same idea is problem 1 (with solution) here.

Last edited:
BvU said:
Nope. You have to take the axis of rotation into consideration too: angular momentum around the impact point is zero, but the system will rotate around some other point.

?? Angular momentum around the impact point is nonzero. The system rotates around its center of mass. Both of them individually are zero in regard to angular momentum before the collision; they are non spinning.

jcruise322 said:
?? Angular momentum around the impact point is nonzero
Before the collision it is zero. Stick lies still, puck ##\vec r## and ##\vec p## are along the same line.

jcruise322 said:
puck on a frictionless air table moves (without spinning) toward a point on a rod that is not the center of mass of the rod, and orthogonal to the puck's direction of velocity
Perhaps we need a drawing: if the point on the rod is orhogonal to the puck's direction of velocity, there will be no collision ?

BvU said:
Before the collision it is zero. Stick lies still, puck ##\vec r## and ##\vec p## are along the same line.
Then that would mean angular momentum would not be conserved. I realize that the stick's angular momentum is zero and the puck has angular momentum RELATIVE to the stick. The only angular momentum is relative angular momentum of the system before the collision which can be quantified as rxmv for the puck before impact.

The puck is lying along the y-axis with its COM at the origin. The puck travels a distance above or below the y-axis in a straight horizontal line towards the rod

jcruise322 said:
The puck is lying along the y-axis with its COM at the origin. The puck travels a distance above or below the y-axis in a straight horizontal line towards the rod
Now I really need a drawing :smile:

Related to Can Individual Zero Angular Momenta Result in Nonzero System Angular Momentum?

What is Angular Momentum?

Angular momentum is a physical quantity that measures the rotation of an object around an axis. It is a vector quantity that takes into account the mass, velocity, and distribution of mass of the object.

How is Angular Momentum Calculated?

Angular momentum (L) is calculated by multiplying the moment of inertia (I) by the angular velocity (ω), or L = Iω. The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion, and the angular velocity is the rate at which the object is rotating.

What is the Conservation of Angular Momentum?

The conservation of angular momentum is a physical law that states that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that the angular momentum of a system will remain the same even if there are changes in the objects' rotational speeds or directions.

How is Angular Momentum Related to Angular Velocity?

Angular momentum and angular velocity are directly related, as angular momentum is equal to the product of the moment of inertia and angular velocity. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a greater angular momentum for a given angular velocity.

What are Some Real-World Examples of Angular Momentum?

There are many real-world examples of angular momentum, such as a spinning top, a rotating planet, a spinning figure skater, and the motion of a gyroscope. In each of these examples, angular momentum is conserved as the object rotates around an axis.