Can Ion Trapping Approaches Effectively Contain Fusion Plasma?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of various methods for plasma containment, including the ITER project and tokamaks. The question is raised as to why ion trapping approaches, such as the orbitrap, are not used for fusion plasma containment. It is explained that fusion requires both confinement and high temperature in order to generate high energy collisions. While electrostatic fields can be useful in trapping ions, they are not effective for confining both hot electrons and ions simultaneously. Additionally, a plasma does have a net charge due to the presence of charged ions.
undefined
I've been reading some about the ITER project, tokamaks, and other approaches to plasma containment. Why can't ion trapping approaches such as an orbitrap be used for fusion plasma containment?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, I have been to both of those pages. I do not, however, know how to apply the Lawson criterion to the orbitrap.

I guess I'm trying to figure out why (from what I can tell) there are no electrostatic fields employed in a tokamak when such fields are so useful in trapping ions. It seems that great trouble is taken to use only magnetic fields.

In order for fusion to take place the ions have to collide at high speed. Trapping ions wouldn't work.

Clearly confinement alone is insufficient. You also need temperature on the order of 108K to generate high energy collisions (as you mention), plasma of high enough density that collisions occur frequently for a long enough time to have a good probability of some of them resulting in fusion. However I still don't understand why electrostatic fields wouldn't be very useful in containing the plasma at a decent density for long enough for fusion to commence. Clearly heating would need to be accomplished by some other means (not particularly relevant to my question).

undefined said:
Clearly confinement alone is insufficient. You also need temperature on the order of 108K to generate high energy collisions (as you mention), plasma of high enough density that collisions occur frequently for a long enough time to have a good probability of some of them resulting in fusion. However I still don't understand why electrostatic fields wouldn't be very useful in containing the plasma at a decent density for long enough for fusion to commence. Clearly heating would need to be accomplished by some other means (not particularly relevant to my question).

Does a plasma have a net charge?

Plasma consists of ions, which are all charged (and the basis for any confinement scheme). Fusion is only occurring between the nuclei, so if some electrons were lost, that wouldn't seem to be prohibitive. It seems clear to me that it wouldn't work to strip out all of the electrons simply because it would result in too much charge build-up. Wouldn't electron loss at some point naturally reach an equilibrium when the electrical potential of the plasma got high enough relative to the positive electrode?

Loosing too many electrons would still make the whole thing unstable. You cannot confine hot electrons and ions at the same time properly with electrostatic fields.

1. What is plasma containment?

Plasma containment refers to the methods used to control and confine plasma, a state of matter consisting of highly energized and ionized gas. It is necessary for various scientific and technological applications, such as fusion energy and plasma-based electronics.

2. What are the different approaches to plasma containment?

There are several approaches to plasma containment, including magnetic confinement, inertial confinement, and electrostatic confinement. Each method uses different techniques to contain and manipulate the plasma.

3. What is magnetic confinement?

Magnetic confinement involves using strong magnetic fields to trap and control the movement of plasma. This approach is commonly used in fusion reactors, such as tokamaks and stellarators.

4. How does inertial confinement work?

Inertial confinement uses high-energy lasers or particle beams to rapidly compress and heat a small pellet of fuel, creating a short-lived burst of plasma. This approach is being researched for its potential use in nuclear fusion energy.

5. What are the challenges of plasma containment?

The main challenges of plasma containment include preventing the plasma from cooling or escaping, maintaining a stable and controlled plasma state, and dealing with the intense heat and radiation produced by the plasma. These challenges are being addressed through ongoing research and technological advancements.