Can light accelerate in vacuum?

In summary, photons do not accelerate in a vacuum, as light has a constant speed of c regardless of the presence of gravity or non-inertial coordinates. However, the direction of light can be changed by gravity or non-inertial coordinates, which may give the appearance of acceleration in certain cases.
Likith D
Light being emitted from a source in vacuum, can photons accelerate ?

Science news on Phys.org
No, photons move at c the moment they are created.

Drakkith said:
Here we are again with that perennial problem that arises because the word "particle" is used in describing a Photon. What a pity they didn't invent a special, alternative word for the photon. It's what happens when very clever people try to get very clever ideas across to us mere mortals. They can't have conceived the problems they were injecting into Science education by that choice of word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Geology Erwin
Drakkith said:

Acceleration is the time derivate of velocity and not of speed.

Likes Jon Richfield
DrStupid said:
Acceleration is the time derivate of velocity and not of speed.

Ok?

Drakkith said:
Ok?

The local speed of light in vacuum is constant but the direction can be changed.

Likes Jon Richfield
davenn said:
but I doubt that is what the OP is referring to

I agree that this is very likely. However, it should be clarified that the answer doesn't refer to the question as it has been asked.

DrStupid said:
The local speed of light in vacuum is constant but the direction can be changed.
How? Even in general relativity, where light can seem to curve, it follows geodesics - no acceleration.

No, light in vacuum cannot accelerate.

Likes davenn
mfb said:
How? Even in general relativity, where light can seem to curve, it follows geodesics - no acceleration.

No, light in vacuum cannot accelerate.

I suspected but didn't want to say, thanks for the clarification
should remove what I said earlier

but light bend near massive object, so it is accelerated.

Likes Jon Richfield
just dani ok said:
but light bend near massive object, so it is accelerated.
It terms of coordinate acceleration in non inertial coordinates, yes. The speed in non inertial coordinates is also not limited to c, but can take any arbitrary value.

In inertial coordinates though, which exist only locally in curved space time, light doesn't change speed nor direction.

A.T. said:
It terms of coordinate acceleration in non inertial coordinates, yes. The speed in non inertial coordinates is also not limited to c, but can take any arbitrary value.

That's why I limited my statement above to the local speed.

Light emitted from a source in a vacuum accelerates when it enters (or leaves) a material with refractive index > 1.

Likes Geology Erwin
Light doesn't really accelerate otherwise it would go beyond c.What changes is the phase velocity vp=c/n so when n<1 , vp>c.

Likes Geology Erwin
Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so negative values of acceleration (slowing down) are permitted.

Likes Jon Richfield
David Lewis said:
Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, so negative values of acceleration (slowing down) are permitted.
Velocity is a vector and so is acceleration. Slowing down doesn't imply negative acceleration components, as their sign depends on the coordinate system.

Thank you. If an object is going 2 m/s, and then slows down to 1 m/s, what is delta v?

-1m/s
+1m/s if you work with rockets.
How is that question related to the speed of light in vacuum, the topic of this thread?

My assumption is that when something slows down, it accelerates (because its velocity is changing). Hence my previous assertion that light accelerates when it enters a material with refractive index >1.

The title of the thread:
Likith D said:
Can light accelerate in vacuum?

Light speed is constant.

When light strikes a mirror in a vacuum, it changes direction.
And, when light is emitted from a refractive material source into a vacuum, it speeds up.

Velocity is the vector of speed, the absolute value of the vector is constant there is no acceleration. Speed is constant.

There are no mirrors or refractive materials in a vacuum.

Light doesn't stop when is hits the mirror.

Light travels c in a vacuum. According to special relativity, something traveling at c is impossible to accelerate.

Likes gatopardos
Since everyone is answering a different question, it's no wonder you're all giving different answers.

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium and no gravity anywhere, accelerate, relative to inertial coordinates?" the answer is no.

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium and no gravity anywhere, accelerate, relative to non-inertial coordinates", the answer is it depends on the coordinates.

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium and no gravity anywhere, follow a trajectory that has intrinsic path curvature?" the answer is no. ("Intrinsic path curvature" is a more technical way of expressing the concept we think of as "being pushed by a force" or "having proper acceleration" when we are talking about massive particles rather than something massless like light.)

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium, but with gravity present, accelerate, relative to some particular coordinates?" the answer is it depends on the coordinates. (Note that there are no global inertial coordinates when gravity is present, but the answer relative to local inertial coordinates, within the range that they cover, is no.)

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium, but with gravity present, follow a trajectory that has intrinsic path curvature?" the answer is no.

I won't bother giving answers for the case where a material medium is present, since that would no longer qualify as "in vacuum". But perhaps the above will help to clarify the different ways the OP's question can be interpreted.

Likes DrewD, ulianjay and DrStupid
PeterDonis said:
If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium and no gravity anywhere, accelerate, relative to non-inertial coordinates", the answer is it depends on the coordinates.

If the question is "can light in a vacuum, with no material medium, but with gravity present, accelerate, relative to some particular coordinates?" the answer is it depends on the coordinates. (Note that there are no global inertial coordinates when gravity is present, but the answer relative to local inertial coordinates, within the range that they cover, is no.)

OK, so, from that it follows that since the question was in fact " Light being emitted from a source in vacuum, CAN photons accelerate ?"
and NOT
" Light being emitted from a source in vacuum, DO photons accelerate ?"
the answer emphatically is "Yes".

Note that there is nothing unusual in the acceleration of light (photons if you like) being accelerated only from certain points of view or certain coordinates in particular circumstances. Newton's first and second laws applies just as strongly to ER as to NR. In the absence of gravitational or force gradients, non-zero rest-mass bodies in free fall do not accelerate either.
Much like light.
So what else is new?

Likes ulianjay
Jon Richfield said:

No, the answer is "it depends on how you define acceleration, and if you define it as coordinate acceleration, it depends on the coordinates you choose". But no actual physics can depend on the coordinates you choose. So the only version of the question that is asking about actual physics, as opposed to just your choice of coordinates, is the version that asks whether light rays in vacuum can have path curvature. And the answer to that question emphatically is "No".

Likes gatopardos
I think these answers may be confusing to the OP. Considering the prefix (B) on the thread, I would assume the question is "Can you apply a force that would increase the speed of a photon?" Also keeping in mind the prefix, I think we can assume inertial coordinates to answer this question.

Jon Richfield said:
" Light being emitted from a source in vacuum, DO photons accelerate ?"

Jon, That is very incorrect
photons are emitted at the speed of light, they DO NOT accelerate to that speed
or to put it the other way ... the EM field is emitted at the speed of light, it does not accelerate to that speed
D

Likes gatopardos
Isaac0427 said:
I would assume the question is "Can you apply a force that would increase the speed of a photon?"

That still doesn't pin down a specific question, or capture actual physics, because "speed" depends on the coordinates you choose.

Isaac0427 said:
I think we can assume inertial coordinates to answer this question.

If by this you mean that "vacuum" implies inertial coordinates, globally that is only true in the absence of gravity. In the presence of gravity, you can only set up inertial coordinates locally, in a small patch of spacetime.

Even in the absence of gravity in a vacuum, however, inertial coordinates are still coordinates, and no actual physics can depend on the coordinates you choose. A question about actual physics would just be along the lines of "can you apply a force to a photon?", and the answer to that in a vacuum (whether or not gravity is present) is "no". (Even in a material medium, it's not clear that "applying a force" is the best way to understand the medium's effect on light; but since we're talking about vacuum here, we don't have to get into that issue.)

gatopardos wrote: Velocity is the vector of speed, the absolute value of the vector is constant there is no acceleration. Speed is constant.

David Lewis wrote: You may have meant the magnitude of the vector, not the absolute value.
(A.T.'s post #16 claimed that positive and negative values of acceleration tell you whether the direction of motion is up, down, left, or right.)

davenn said:
Jon, That is very incorrect
photons are emitted at the speed of light, they DO NOT accelerate to that speed
or to put it the other way ... the EM field is emitted at the speed of light, it does not accelerate to that speed

D
Dave, that was not my wording, but the wording of the question. I interpreted it as meaning "can photons undergo acceleration".
It never even occurred to me to think in terms of the emission of a photon involving acceleration as such.
In a broader sense it takes a very unnatural interpretation in physics to argue that any particle such as a photon or electron literally accelerates, rather than undergoing acceleration. Granted we might (often do) say that eg an electron in an electric field accelerates, but to me that wording suggests the electron actively "stepping on the gas". I reckon that is just a loose way of saying that it passively undergoes acceleration. Given such loose wording in practice, I am not inclined to be as picky as my natural pedantry might lead me to prefer.:wink: