Can light near a black hole travel in -t in external coords?

In summary, diagrams that show light cones tipping over when closer to a black hole singularity, such that emitted light can have a downwards (negative time) component in the distant observer coordinate frame, are correct. However, other diagrams show that the light cone gets narrower towards the singularity, such that it looks like it emissions never have a downwards component. So my question is, which version is correct?
TGlad
Many diagrams show light cones tipping over when closer to a black hole singularity, such that emitted light can have a downwards (negative time) component in the distant observer coordinate frame. e.g this diagram:
lightcone-bh.gif

or this one:
bh_lightcones_st.gif

or this one:
bh_falling_st.gif

However, other diagrams show that the light cone gets narrower towards the singularity, such that it looks like it emissions never have a downwards component:

cones3.jpg

blackhole.gif

eventho2.gif

So my question is, which version is correct? (for a Schwarzschild black hole, using coordinates of an observer at infinity). Can the light cone ever have a -t component in the distant observer's t coordinate?

Attachments

• lightcone-bh.gif
    lightcone-bh.gif
    9.2 KB · Views: 2,230
  • bh_lightcones_st.gif
    bh_lightcones_st.gif
    26.1 KB · Views: 1,546
  • bh_falling_st.gif
    bh_falling_st.gif
    22.6 KB · Views: 910
  • cones3.jpg
    cones3.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 729
  • blackhole.gif
    blackhole.gif
    16.3 KB · Views: 858
  • eventho2.gif
    eventho2.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,369
Physics news on Phys.org
TGlad said:
Many diagrams

Please give a source for these diagrams.

All of them are correct, just using different coordinates.

Orodruin said:
All of them are correct, just using different coordinates.

I'm not sure the first two diagrams correspond to any coordinates that I'm aware of for Schwarzschild spacetime. The third one seems almost correct for Schwarzschild coordinates, but the light cone placed on the horizon is wrong: it should be squashed to a single line.

The rest of the diagrams look like either Eddington-Finkelstein or Painleve coordinates.

PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure the first two diagrams correspond to any coordinates that I'm aware of for Schwarzschild spacetime. The third one seems almost correct for Schwarzschild coordinates, but the light cone placed on the horizon is wrong: it should be squashed to a single line.
I think that even if we do not know of any such coordinates, they could in principle be defined. I may be wrong of course. My main point was that how the diagrams look will depend on the choice of coordinates.

What I find misleading in all cases are the general time and space arrows that seem to indicate those directions are always time/space.

Orodruin said:
I think that even if we do not know of any such coordinates, they could in principle be defined.

That may be, but it would be really nice if the articles that showed these diagrams would say what coordinates they are actually using. I strongly suspect that at least the first three diagrams were not constructed using actual coordinate charts, but just by handwaving.

PeterDonis said:
That may be, but it would be really nice if the articles that showed these diagrams would say what coordinates they are actually using. I strongly suspect that at least the first three diagrams were not constructed using actual coordinate charts, but just by handwaving.
I can explain the first three as drawing Schwarzschild coordinates as if they Cartesian, with 't' coordinate (whatever its meaning in different parts of the chart) vertical, putting interior and exterior on the same chart, and ignoring the misbehavior of the metric on the horizon. Whether you approve of such a practices is another question ...

[oops: I didn't see Peter's earlier post - yes, in SC coordinates the cones would narrow towards being lines near either side of the horzion. However, close to the singularity, which is what I was looking at, they are fine.]

Last edited:
PeterDonis said:
I'm not sure the first two diagrams correspond to any coordinates that I'm aware of...
The rest of the diagrams look like either Eddington-Finkelstein or Painleve coordinates

That makes sense. Maybe the first three are somehow Kruskal–Szekeres coordinates.
Anyway, thanks for the information, I think that is useful enough for my level of understanding.

TGlad said:
Maybe the first three are somehow Kruskal–Szekeres coordinates.

They're not; in Kruskal coordinates the horizon would be a 45-degree line, not vertical, and the singularity would be a hyperbola at the top of the diagram.

PeterDonis said:
They're not; in Kruskal coordinates the horizon would be a 45-degree line, not vertical, and the singularity would be a hyperbola at the top of the diagram.
Like this:
Kruskal_with_light_cone.png

Attachments

• Kruskal_with_light_cone.png
    Kruskal_with_light_cone.png
    4 KB · Views: 699

1. What is -t in external coords?

-t in external coords refers to the time coordinate in the external, or distant, observer's frame of reference. This is different from the time coordinate experienced by an object near the black hole, as it is affected by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

2. Can light near a black hole travel in -t in external coords?

Yes, light near a black hole can travel in -t in external coords. However, the light will appear to be moving slower to an external observer due to the effects of time dilation caused by the strong gravitational pull of the black hole.

3. How does a black hole affect the travel of light?

A black hole's strong gravitational pull can cause the path of light to curve, a phenomenon known as gravitational lensing. It can also slow down the speed of light and cause time dilation for an external observer.

4. Can anything escape a black hole's event horizon?

No, once an object or light crosses the event horizon of a black hole, it cannot escape. This is due to the immense gravitational pull of the black hole, which is strong enough to trap anything within its event horizon.

5. How does the concept of -t in external coords relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The concept of -t in external coords is related to Einstein's theory of relativity as it demonstrates the effects of gravity on the perception of time. According to relativity, time is relative to the observer's frame of reference, and the strong gravitational pull of a black hole can significantly alter the perception of time for an external observer.