Can LM340T Series Regulators Substitute LM340H Series in Car Signal Converters?

• Thread starter Scott Black
  • Start date
In summary: Just make sure you connect the appropriate pins together to match the 8-pin configuration. The rest of the circuit should remain the same. In summary, the conversation is about creating a signal converter for a car mod using plans from a forum post. The individual is having trouble finding specific regulators and is wondering if different ones can be used. They also ask about the pin layout for a chip they have and if it can be used in place of the one mentioned in the plans. They are advised to check the data sheet for the pinout and make sure the connections match the 8-pin configuration.
Scott Black
Hey all,
Im working on making a signal converter for a mod I've done on my car,

the plans for it are from zilvia.net - 164351-s15-cluster-sig-converter (edit: link was not working and apparently triggered spam detector)

yet I've been looking around a lot of places and can't find the lm340H-5 and lm340H-12 (or the lm140 it says could be used instead)

I have however found a place i can get lm340T-5 and lm340T-12

what I am wondering is can i use those regulators instead of the ones the schematics asks for?

thanks

Scott

ive copyed the info from the other thread that the link won't work to below
converter.jpg

Here is the part list:

Part Value

C1 0.01U
C2 0.01U
C2A 1U
C2B 1U
C3 0.1U
C4 1U
C5 0.1U
C6 0.22U
C7 0.22U
C8 0.1U
C9 0.1U
IC1 LM340H-05 or LM140A-05
IC2 LM340H-12 or LM140A-12

IC3 74LS109N
IC4 LM331N
IC5 LM2917
R1 100K
R2 10K
R3 100K
R4 470
R5 100K
R6 47
R7 6.8K
R8 10K
R9 6.8K
R10 5K

All resistors are 5% or less and all the caps are ceramic or tantalum.
This is needed to keep the temp coef down. It can get hot under the dash.

Now let's get into what everything does.

-Power and logic levels-

IC1 and IC2 are the volatge regulators. IC2, C7 and C8 regulate the input voltage
to 12v which is used for power to the LM2917 and LM331. IC1,C6 and C5 then regulate
that to 5v for logic high and power for the 74LS109N.

-Input frequency to voltage converter-

IC5, R1, R2, R4, C9, C1, C2A, C2B are used to convert the speedo input from a
zero crossing signwave to a voltage.

C9 is a filter for the input since its really noisy. R4 is for voltage dropping
sice the LM2917 has a 7.6v internal zener regulator.

The output voltage is defined by Vout = Vcc * Fin * C1 * R1 * K
where K = 1 and VCC = 7.6

The output ripple is defined by Vripp = (Vcc / 2) * (C1/(C2A+C2B)) * (1 - ((Vcc * Fin * C1) / I3))
where VCC = 7.6, I3 = 180uA, Fin = input freq 4.5hz(1mph) - 810hz(180mph)

-Voltage to frequency converter primary-

IC4, R3, C3, C4, R5, R6, R7, C2, R9, R10 are used to convert the voltage back to a frequency.
That frequency is defined by Fout = (Vin/2.09) * ((R9+R10)/R5) * (1/ (R7 * C2))
Where Vin = Vout from the F-to-V converter.

R10 is adjustable so the conversion factor can be fully adjusted.

R6 and C4 are used to keep the internal referance stable.
R3 and C3 are for input filtering.

-Signal conditioning-

IC3 and R8 are used to form the 50% duty cycle square wave. IC3 is a dual J/K
flip flop so the output will change its state once per pulse and dividing the
primary output freq by 2. This is needed because the output pulse width from the LM331
is too small.

Output here should be 12.5hz/mph

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The H and T are probably different styles of packages for the same electronic device.

H is probably a TO39, round package with 3 pins from the base. T is probably a flat T0220 package designed for bolting onto a heatsink.

Since your circuit seems to be very low power, you probably don't need a heatsink anyway so it doesn't matter which you use, but if you have a circuit board, it will be designed to take one or the other, and the T package is bigger than the H.

FWIW the commonest parts used now for these regulators are the 7805 and 7812 which you can get anywhere - unless there some reason why you really need the 340 parts for this circuit.

thanks for the quick reply,
turns out in the jaycar catalouge the 7805 and 7812 are listed as 7805/lm340t5 so that's good, I am going to try them out,

found another issue though,

chip lm2917 i have one and its a 14 pin chip, the one the person who made the above used was a 8 pin chip, if i use the 14 pin chip do i still just use the same pin numbers or will it be a different layout ?

thanks again

edit: looking at the data sheets i need to bridge pin 11 and 12, then bridge pin 3 and 4, and then i should pretty much have the same chip and just use the data sheet to see what pins do what?

Last edited:
Scott Black said:
edit: looking at the data sheets i need to bridge pin 11 and 12, then bridge pin 3 and 4, and then i should pretty much have the same chip and just use the data sheet to see what pins do what?

That looks about right. Figures 2 and 4 on http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2917-n.pdf

Hi Scott,

Thank you for sharing your project with us. It sounds like you have put a lot of effort into designing and building your signal converter. In regards to your question about using the LM340T-5 and LM340T-12 instead of the LM340H-5 and LM340H-12, the answer is yes, you can use these regulators instead. The LM340T series is a similar type of regulator, with the main difference being that it has a slightly lower maximum input voltage rating and a different package. However, the electrical specifications are very similar and they should work just fine in your circuit.

Additionally, it's good to see that you have taken into consideration the temperature coefficient and have selected capacitors and resistors with a tolerance of 5% or less. This will help to ensure that your circuit is stable and accurate.

Overall, it looks like you have a well-designed circuit and I wish you the best of luck with your project. Keep up the good work!

Best regards,

1. What is the difference between LM340T5 and LM340H5?

The main difference between the LM340T5 and LM340H5 is their voltage ratings. The LM340T5 has a maximum input voltage of 35V, while the LM340H5 has a maximum input voltage of 45V. This means that the LM340H5 can handle higher voltage levels than the LM340T5.

2. Can I use LM340T5 instead of LM340H5 in my circuit?

It depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. If your circuit requires a maximum input voltage of 35V or lower, then you can use the LM340T5 instead of the LM340H5. However, if your circuit requires a maximum input voltage of 45V, then you will need to use the LM340H5.

3. Is the pinout the same for LM340T5 and LM340H5?

Yes, the pinout for both the LM340T5 and LM340H5 is the same. Both have three pins - input, output, and ground - and they are labeled in the same way. This makes it easy to substitute one for the other in a circuit.

4. Are there any other differences between LM340T5 and LM340H5?

Aside from the voltage rating, there are no significant differences between the LM340T5 and LM340H5. Both have the same current rating, package type, and other electrical characteristics. The main difference is the voltage rating, as mentioned earlier.

5. Is the LM340T5 a suitable replacement for the LM340H5?

It depends on the specific requirements of your circuit. If your circuit can operate within the voltage range of the LM340T5, then it can be a suitable replacement for the LM340H5. However, if your circuit requires a higher voltage level, then using the LM340T5 may cause malfunctions or damage to your circuit.

Back