Can Macroscopic Objects Tunnel Through Walls According to Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of quantum mechanics and the low probability of macroscopic objects passing through a wall. One person also mentions a personal experience with a sponge ball appearing to go through a wall, but the other person clarifies that this is highly unlikely and compares it to the unlikely event of Michael Jackson coming back from the dead and predicting lottery numbers. The overall conclusion is that the sponge ball did not actually go through the wall.
Suyash Singh
ok i read about that quantum mechanics article about how macroscopic objects have a extremely low probability of passing through a wall.Now i very clearly remember that 5-6 years back i have noticed my smiley sponge ball going into a place it cannot go to.Do you think it may have gone through the wall ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Suyash Singh said:
ok i read about that quantum mechanics article about how macroscopic objects have a extremely low probability of passing through a wall.Now i very clearly remember that 5-6 years back i have noticed my smiley sponge ball going into a place it cannot go to.Do you think it may have gone through the wall ?
No, I absolutely do not. The fact that something is mathematically possible does not mean it will happen. You misunderstand the concept, in this context, of "extremely low".

Likes Suyash Singh and cnh1995
Extremely low as in Michael Jackson coming back from the dead and giving you the winning Powerball numbers for the next 10 drawings would be more likely. :oldwink:

Likes Suyash Singh, sophiecentaur and cnh1995
As you can tell, the answer is no :)

Likes Suyash Singh

1. How does a ball tunnel through a wall?

A ball can tunnel through a wall through a phenomenon called quantum tunneling. This is when a particle, such as a ball, has a small chance of passing through a barrier that it cannot normally cross due to its energy level. In the case of a ball, this can happen if it is small enough to have wave-like properties and has enough energy to overcome the barrier.

2. What is the science behind ball tunneling through a wall?

The science behind ball tunneling through a wall is based on the principles of quantum mechanics. It involves the concept of wave-particle duality, where particles like a ball can behave like waves and have a probability of passing through a barrier. This phenomenon is also used in technologies such as scanning tunneling microscopes.

3. Can any type of ball tunnel through a wall?

In theory, any type of ball can tunnel through a wall if it meets the requirements for quantum tunneling. However, the chances of this happening are extremely small and would require very specific conditions. For practical purposes, only particles on the quantum scale, such as electrons, are known to exhibit this behavior on a regular basis.

4. Is ball tunneling through a wall a common occurrence?

No, ball tunneling through a wall is not a common occurrence in our everyday experience. This phenomenon is only observed on a quantum scale and is not noticeable in our macroscopic world. It is also a very rare event, with a very low probability of occurring.

5. Can we control or manipulate ball tunneling through a wall?

Currently, we do not have the technology to control or manipulate ball tunneling through a wall. As it is a quantum phenomenon, it is not easily observable or controllable. However, scientists are continuously researching and developing ways to harness and manipulate quantum effects for various applications.