Quantum Tunneling different individual transmission probabilities

In summary, these coefficients depend on the energy and mass of the particle, the strength of the barrier, and the type of potential.
wolfy
TL;DR Summary
Different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, etc, in Quantum Tunneling.
I have gone through all the videos on Youtube about Quantum Tunneling and became interested in it, so any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Do all the different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, and such remain constant?

May I ask what is the "formula" or "chart values" for the different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, etc, and such are in Quantum Tunneling of these.

I am NOT an expert in Quantum Mechanics in the Least and I Hope I've made the Question Easy enough to Understand.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolfy said:
Summary:: Different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, etc, in Quantum Tunneling.

I have gone through all the videos on Youtube about Quantum Tunneling and became interested in it, so any helpful feedback would be appreciated.

Do all the different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, and such remain constant?

May I ask what is the "formula" or "chart values" for the different individual transmission probabilities of electrons, protons, etc, and such are in Quantum Tunneling of these.

I am NOT an expert in Quantum Mechanics in the Least and I Hope I've made the Question Easy enough to Understand.

For a particle interacting with a potential barrier, you can calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients in each case. These depend on the energy and mass of the particle and the strength of the barrier.

See here, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution_of_Schrödinger_equation_for_a_step_potential

• Love
Likes wolfy
PeroK said:
For a particle interacting with a potential barrier, you can calculate the reflection and transmission coefficients in each case. These depend on the energy and mass of the particle and the strength of the barrier.

See here, for example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solution_of_Schrödinger_equation_for_a_step_potential

Most Excellent,

Thank You For Helping Me Out PeroK

Likes PeroK

1. What is quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential energy barrier without having enough energy to do so classically. This is possible due to the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

2. How does quantum tunneling occur?

Quantum tunneling occurs when a particle has a non-zero probability of crossing a potential energy barrier, even though it does not have enough energy to do so classically. This is due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

3. What is individual transmission probability in quantum tunneling?

Individual transmission probability in quantum tunneling refers to the probability of a single particle passing through a potential barrier. This probability is influenced by various factors such as the particle's energy, the height and width of the barrier, and the shape of the barrier.

4. How does the transmission probability vary for different particles in quantum tunneling?

The transmission probability for different particles in quantum tunneling can vary depending on their energy, mass, and the properties of the potential barrier. Generally, lighter particles have a higher probability of tunneling compared to heavier particles, and particles with higher energy have a higher probability of tunneling compared to particles with lower energy.

5. What are some real-world applications of quantum tunneling?

Quantum tunneling has various applications in technology, such as in the development of tunneling diodes, which are used in electronic devices such as microwave oscillators and high-frequency amplifiers. It is also crucial in understanding and developing technologies based on quantum computing and quantum cryptography.