Can Metrics Reveal Flat Spaces Without Computing the Riemann Tensor?

In summary: This can be easily proven using the transformation law of the tensor. In summary, there are two ways to determine if a given metric describes a flat space. One is to calculate the Riemann tensor and see if it vanishes, which is a necessary condition for a space to be flat. The other is to check if the Weyl tensor or the Bach tensor vanishes, which are necessary and sufficient conditions for a space to be conformally flat. However, the Riemann tensor is not an invariant and can be affected by coordinate transformations, so it may not always provide an accurate answer. In 2 dimensions, every metric is conformally flat, and it is easy to calculate the Riemann tensor. A common conformal
Morgoth
If you are given a metric gαβ and you are asked to find if it describes a flat space, is there any way to answer it without calculating the Riemman Tensor Rλμνσ?
and how can I find for that given metric the coordinate transformation which brings it in conformal form?

For example I'll give you the way I'm thinking on my problem.
The metric I'm given is in :
ds2= exp(ax+by) (-dx2+dy2)

If I want to show that the space is flat, I would compute the Riemman tensor and so it vanishes... (is there a faster way to do it?).
Then in order to find the transformation that would bring it in obvious conformal form, I would say that I want to write:
ds2=exp(w(x',y')) (dx'2+dy'2)

(translated to gαβ2 nαβ)
Is that a correct approach?
In the way that will it give me the x'(x,y) and y'(x,y) form?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can't, in general, bring a metric to conformal form unless it is a 2-dimensional metric.

Generally speaking, a metric is (locally) conformally flat if and only if the Weyl tensor vanishes vanishes. In 2d and 3d, however, the Weyl tensor vanishes identically, so they are exceptions. In 2d, every metric is (locally) conformally flat. In 3d, a metric is (locally) conformally flat if and only if the Cotton tensor vanishes.

Also, in general, a metric is flat if and only if the Riemann tensor vanishes. So your options are either A) Get lucky and notice that there is a coordinate transformation that puts a metric in an obviously-flat form, or B) Calculate the Riemann tensor.

But if you're working in 2 dimensions, it is really easy to calculate the Riemann tensor.

Did you mean to switch the signature from -+ to ++? A change of coordinates can't change the signature.

oops...yes it can't...that was my mistake...
still =_= it's obviously in the simplest form

In addition to what Ben Niehoff wisely said, I have to say that the Riemann tensor does not always tell you if the space is flat: there are coordinate systems in flat space where the Riemann tensor does not vanish. This is because it is not an invariant, as its Lorentz indices tell. On the other hand the curvature scalar (trace of the Ricci) is a scalar, so it really tells you about the curvature.

There is another theorem that works in any dimension, called Bach's theorem. If the Bach tensor vanishes, then the space is conformaly flat. The Bach tensor is roughly the curl of the Ricci, you should check it.

kevinferreira said:
I have to say that the Riemann tensor does not always tell you if the space is flat: there are coordinate systems in flat space where the Riemann tensor does not vanish.

Could I ask you for an example?

kevinferreira said:
I have to say that the Riemann tensor does not always tell you if the space is flat: there are coordinate systems in flat space where the Riemann tensor does not vanish. This is because it is not an invariant, as its Lorentz indices tell.
If you really meant this as stated you have an important confusion here. Curvature is coordinate-independent and the Riemann tensor always tells you if there is Riemann curvature.

The Riemann tensor is a tensor...Which means that if it vanishes in a Coordinate System, it will vanish in any others after a coord.transformation...

But still what is the most obvious conformal form for a metric?
I've seen that it needs to be written in the form:
ds2= Φ(x,y) {dx2+dy2}
of course now I cannot change the sign, I had forgotten of that theorem...
So the needed form should just be:
ds2= Φ(x,y) {-dx2+dy2}

-_- however, it's already in that form...with Φ(x,y)=exp(ax+by)
if I say the transformation:
u= ax
v= by

du2=a2dx2
dv2=b2dy2

so
ds'2= exp{u+v} (- (du/a)2 + (dv/b)2 )

is that of any better?

Last edited:
kevinferreira said:
I have to say that the Riemann tensor does not always tell you if the space is flat: there are coordinate systems in flat space where the Riemann tensor does not vanish.
I also think this is wrong. Please provide an example, or preferably a reference.

DaleSpam said:
Please provide an example, or preferably a reference.
There is no example unfortunately. If the Riemann tensor vanishes identically in one coordinate system it will vanish in all coordinate systems by virtue of it being a tensor.

Related to Can Metrics Reveal Flat Spaces Without Computing the Riemann Tensor?

1. What is the conformal form of metric?

The conformal form of metric is a mathematical representation of a surface or space that is proportional to the original metric but has a different curvature. It is used in physics and geometry to describe objects or spaces that have a similar shape but differ in size or scale.

2. How is the conformal form of metric used in physics?

The conformal form of metric is used in physics to study the properties of space and time. It is used in theories such as general relativity to describe the curvature of space-time and the behavior of particles in gravitational fields.

3. What is the difference between conformal and non-conformal metrics?

A conformal metric preserves angles between curves, while a non-conformal metric does not. In other words, a conformal metric preserves the shape of an object, while a non-conformal metric can distort the shape. This is why the conformal form of metric is particularly useful in studying the properties of curved spaces.

4. How is the conformal form of metric related to the conformal group?

The conformal form of metric is a key concept in the conformal group, which is a group of transformations that preserve angles and the conformal form of metric. This group is important in theoretical physics and has applications in fields such as particle physics and cosmology.

5. Can the conformal form of metric be applied to non-Euclidean spaces?

Yes, the conformal form of metric can be applied to non-Euclidean spaces, such as spaces with positive or negative curvature. This is because the conformal form of metric is a generalization of Euclidean geometry and can be extended to describe the properties of curved spaces.