Can Nano-Technology Provide an Anti-Slip Solution for Slippery Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using nanotechnology to create a non-slip substance for shoes and other surfaces. One person mentions a company that is developing a spray-on nanotech coating for hoses, while another person shares information about a product called Skidproof that uses nano-technology to create an anti-slip coating.
levwood
I slipped on ice and broke my wrist.

Given our collective knowledge of the physics of slipping, isn't it possible that nano techology exists that allows us to add a non-slip substance to the soles of boots and shoes?

Lev

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, and welcome to PF.

Well, "how big is your pocket book?" I am working with a group that is developing spray-on nanotech coatings for hoses. The resulting structures look like they could provide significant traction on ice. I don't know what pressures they can withstand yet.

I'm not sure what nanotechnology has to do with this, but there are certainly things you can do to shoes to make it basically impossible to slip on ice: http://www.ems.com/catalog/product_detail_square.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442591842&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=282574488340909

If the product can be easily applied, I'd love to know more. There would seem to be several excellent markets for a really good non-slip product. Is there company information or a website I can go to?

Lev

We use nano-technology in our product to create and anti-slip coating for any surface/floor. It creates a rough texture. It contains particle sizes of between 9-12 microns and this is mixed into an epoxy or PU binder. Its called Skidproof and we market it in the UK.

1. What is nano technology and how does it work?

Nano technology is a field of science that involves the manipulation of matter on a molecular or atomic level. It involves creating and working with materials that are between 1-100 nanometers in size. This technology works by using specialized tools and techniques to manipulate and control the properties of materials at the nanoscale.

2. How does anti-slip technology work at the nano level?

Anti-slip technology at the nano level involves creating surface textures or coatings that increase the friction between two surfaces, preventing slipping or sliding. This is achieved by using materials with specific nanostructures, such as carbon nanotubes or nanoparticles, which create a rough surface that increases the contact area and reduces the risk of sliding.

3. What are the benefits of using nano technology for anti-slip purposes?

Using nano technology for anti-slip purposes has several benefits. Firstly, it allows for precise control over the properties of the material, making it possible to create surfaces with specific levels of friction. Additionally, nano materials are usually lightweight and transparent, making them ideal for use in various industries, such as construction, sports, and healthcare.

4. Is nano technology safe for use in anti-slip products?

Yes, nano technology is generally safe for use in anti-slip products. However, as with any new technology, there are still ongoing studies and research being conducted to ensure its safety. It is important to follow proper handling and disposal procedures for nano materials to prevent any potential harm to human health or the environment.

5. How is nano technology being used to improve anti-slip products?

Nano technology is being used in various ways to improve anti-slip products. Some examples include incorporating nano particles into coatings or paints to increase friction, using nano fibers to create stronger and more durable materials, and developing smart surfaces that can change their friction properties in response to different conditions. Additionally, ongoing research and advancements in the field of nano technology are constantly leading to new and innovative ways to improve anti-slip products.