Can Noise Cancelling Theory Be Used to Send Secret Messages?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of sending a secret audio message from one person to another without the others in the room hearing it. The idea involves using an interference pattern to cancel out any noise outside of a certain cone, and the use of a phased array to steer the sound beams. While this idea may seem impractical, it is similar to the way radar is steered.
quicksilver123
Hi, I had kind of a cool idea and was wondering if someone would try and refute it or tell me if it would be possible.

So let's say you have three people sitting three metres apart, and you need to deliver a message via sound to person B, who is the person in the middle.

Would it be possible to send this audio to person B without person A or C hearing it?

Say you could have a speaker transmitting a longitudinal wave but you surround that wave with an interference pattern to cancel out any noise outside of a certain cone with a base radius given as a function of the distance person B is from the source?

I know this sounds like a mad scientist schizophrenic idea but wouldn't it be kind of cool to send secret messages in that no one else could hear (yes I know this is highly impractical method haha)

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

1. What is noise cancelling theory?

Noise cancelling theory is a scientific concept that explains the process of reducing unwanted or distracting sounds from an environment by using technology or techniques to create an opposing sound wave that cancels out the original sound.

2. How does noise cancelling technology work?

Noise cancelling technology uses a microphone to detect the sound waves in an environment and then creates an opposite sound wave that interferes with the original sound, resulting in cancellation or reduction of the unwanted noise.

3. What types of noise can be cancelled?

Noise cancelling technology is most effective at cancelling out steady, low-frequency noises such as engine sounds or white noise. It is less effective at cancelling out sudden or high-pitched noises.

4. Are there different types of noise cancelling?

Yes, there are two main types of noise cancelling: active and passive. Active noise cancelling uses technology to create opposing sound waves, while passive noise cancelling uses physical barriers or materials to block out noise.

5. What are the benefits of noise cancelling technology?

Noise cancelling technology can improve concentration, reduce stress, and protect hearing by reducing exposure to loud or distracting noises. It is also commonly used in headphones and earbuds to improve the listening experience by blocking out background noise.