Can Non-Linear Separable Differential Equations Be Solved?

In summary, The given equation is a non-linear exact equation. However, it can be solved by separating the variables and using integration to find the solution. The solution is y = 1/(x^2 + C1). The conversation also includes the acknowledgement of the person being stuck and the realization that the problem is separable.
EtherealMonkey

Homework Statement

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+2xy^{2}=0[/tex]

I am stuck on this.

I realize that this is a non-linear exact equation, but I just cannot wrap my mind around any type of method to attack this one.

TIA for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
You noticed it is separable, so just separate the variables.

Okay, never-mind...

Problem:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}+2xy^{2}=0[/tex]

Solution:

[tex]\frac{dy}{dx}=-\left(2xy^{2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(\frac{1}{y^{2}}\right)\frac{dy}{dx}=-2x[/tex]

[tex]\int\frac{1}{y^{2}} dy=-2\int x dx[/tex]

[tex]y=\frac{1}{x^{2}+C_{1}}[/tex]

LCKurtz said:
You noticed it is separable, so just separate the variables.

Yeah, my CalIII is killing me...

Thanks for the response. I hope the next time I have a question, it will be a good one :redface:

Related to Can Non-Linear Separable Differential Equations Be Solved?

What is a non-linear separable differential equation?

A non-linear separable differential equation is a type of differential equation where the dependent variable and its derivatives cannot be separated on opposite sides of the equation. This means that it cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods and requires more complex techniques.

What are the characteristics of a non-linear separable differential equation?

A non-linear separable differential equation is characterized by having non-linear terms, such as powers or products, on either side of the equation. It also typically involves one or more dependent variables and their derivatives.

How is a non-linear separable differential equation solved?

A non-linear separable differential equation can be solved using various techniques, such as substitution, integration, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the form and complexity of the equation.

What are some real-world applications of non-linear separable differential equations?

Non-linear separable differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in physics, engineering, biology, and economics. Examples include population growth, chemical reactions, fluid dynamics, and electrical circuits.

What are the limitations of non-linear separable differential equations?

Non-linear separable differential equations can be difficult to solve and may not always have exact analytical solutions. They also may not accurately represent complex systems with multiple interacting variables and non-linear relationships.