Can one electron emit 3 colors at once?

In summary: However, when you start posting questions that are deliberately designed to start arguments, it becomes difficult for us to help you.In summary, Dale said that a hydrogen gas consists of many hydrogen molecules and that when light is shown through it, three colors of light appear. Anthony said that a hydrogen gas consists of a huge number of hydrogen molecules and that when light is shown through it, three colors of light appear. Anthony also said that a hydrogen gas consists of a single atom or a H2+ ion and that a H+ ion (also known as proton) has no electron.
IAmAnthony
When light is shown through hydrogen gas, three colors of light appear. The issue I have with this is that hydrogen has one electron, meaning somehow the electron has to be emitting all three of these colors simultaneously. This, however, would be impossible since a single electron can only make one orbital jump at a time, which in turn means one electron can only emit one color at a time, not three. If anyone can offer an explanation, I welcome it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Typically there is more than one molecule of hydrogen gas in the container.

Likes Doc Al, russ_watters and phinds
IAmAnthony said:
When light is shown through hydrogen gas, three colors of light appear.

This is puzzling. You shine light through a hydrogen gas? Where did you see this?

And then you got ONLY 3 colors of light out?

I am guessing that you are reading something or seeing something, and then interpreting it this way. It will be VERY helpful if you cite your source clearly, because to me, you are misunderstanding this.

And as Dale has said, a hydrogen gas consists of a HUGE number of hydrogen molecules. There is nothing here to say that they are all emitting the same wavelength upon excitation.

BTW, @IAmAnthony : it would be nice if you acknowledge responses you received in threads and questions that you asked. Many of us spent time and effort to address your question, and when you simply ignore responses addressed to you, not only is it impolite, but we also do not know if you've understood what you've been given.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/can-you-ionize-metal-with-photons.951311/

Zz.

IAmAnthony said:
When light is shown through hydrogen gas, three colors of light appear.

What do you mean with "shown through"? Emission, transmission or something else?

What do you mean with hydrogen gas? Hydrogen atoms or molecules?

I guess with the "three colors of light" you mean red, green blue. But there would be at least the four colors of the visible part of the Balmer series.

IAmAnthony said:
The issue I have with this is that hydrogen has one electron

A single hydrogen atom or a H2+ ion has one electron. A H+ ion (also known as proton) has no electron. A neutral hydrogen molecule has two electrons and hydrogen gas many more (as Dale already mentioned above). That's why you need to specify what you mean with hydrogen or hydrogen gas and what kind process you are talking about.

DrStupid said:
I guess with the "three colors of light" you mean red, green blue. But there would be at least the four colors of the visible part of the Balmer series.
The fourth one ("deep violet") can be difficult to see, if you don't have a bright source and a very dark viewing background, as is often the case with a cheap student spectroscope.

It's been brought to my attention that I failed to properly commend all of you who have answered my questions. Therefore, I'm correcting my mistake with this comment. Thank you for taking the time and energy to answer my questions.

Likes berkeman
Well, I guess a form letter is better than nothing. It seems you are too busy to bother actually participating in your thread.

Me too.

Likes russ_watters, fresh_42 and davenn
Unfortunately, I haven't been completely honest in my question. You see, when I wrote this question I was not seeking an answer but rather a debate. I am a skeptic about today's model of the atom, and this post was an elusive way around the rules of no debating theories. I was arrogant in how I treated you all and deceptive. I don't know if I'll get banned because of my actions, but if so, then I've gotten what I deserve. With that said, I wish you all to know that I am truly sorry for the way I've treated you all. Not only was it not right, but it was indecent.

Likes Dale, davenn and berkeman
IAmAnthony said:
Unfortunately, I haven't been completely honest in my question. You see, when I wrote this question I was not seeking an answer but rather a debate. I am a skeptic about today's model of the atom, and this post was an elusive way around the rules of no debating theories. I was arrogant in how I treated you all and deceptive. I don't know if I'll get banned because of my actions, but if so, then I've gotten what I deserve. With that said, I wish you all to know that I am truly sorry for the way I've treated you all. Not only was it not right, but it was indecent.

Thanks for being so honest here. In general, we are here to help students with STEM related questions. We shy away from fringe science and debate because it leads to confusion among our other members and in the longer term is not good for their studies.

We do like questions and do try to answer them so if you are debating them within your own mind and ask questions to help with your own understanding then that would work and is consistent with our principles here.

Thanks again for being so honest.

With that said and the original question answered then I think it time to thank everyone for contributing and time to close this thread.

1. Can one electron emit 3 colors at once?

Yes, it is possible for one electron to emit 3 colors at once, as long as it has enough energy to do so. This phenomenon is known as "triple emission" or "triple splitting".

2. What causes an electron to emit multiple colors?

When an electron is excited or accelerated, it can release energy in the form of light. The specific colors emitted depend on the amount of energy released, and an electron with enough energy can emit multiple colors simultaneously.

3. Is it common for electrons to emit multiple colors?

No, it is not common for electrons to emit multiple colors at once. This phenomenon is typically observed in very high energy processes, such as in particle accelerators or during nuclear reactions.

4. Can an electron emit more than 3 colors at once?

Yes, in theory, an electron can emit an infinite number of colors at once. However, in practice, the energy required for an electron to emit more than 3 colors is extremely high and not commonly observed.

5. How is the emission of multiple colors from an electron useful?

The emission of multiple colors from an electron can provide valuable information about the energy and behavior of the electron. It is also used in various scientific and technological applications, such as in lasers and medical imaging devices.