How electrons absorb or emit photons

In summary, the conversation discusses the reason behind the colors of objects and the role of photons and electrons in this process. One claim states that photons with specific frequencies in incoming light are absorbed and never seen again, while another claims that electrons always fall back to the ground state and emit photons again. The expert explains that both are true, as the original photon is gone but a new one is emitted with the same or less energy. The details may vary depending on the material and the type of light source.
Wille
TL;DR Summary
My question is about what happens when incoming light hits a solid material and give that material its color. Is it true that those photons which are absorbed (i.e. have enough energy to move an electron in the solid material to a higher level (excite)) are never to be seen again? At the same time I read that electrons always fall back to the ground state and then the photon are emitted again. Which one is it?
Hi,

I am aware that the reason why objects have color is an old subject. However I come across two claims which sound like they are in contrast to each other.
On one hand I read that the photons with specific frequency in incoming light are absorbed (i.e. have enough energy to move an electron in the solid material to a higher level (excite)) and are then never to be seen again. I.e. they are erased from the light spectrum and will never reach my eyes.
On the other hand I read that electrons always fall back to the ground state (they stay excited for a very short time) and then the photons are emitted again. Which one is it?

Could it be that the excited electrons stay excited as long as the light is on?
And what about those frequencies that are not enough to move an electron in the solid material to a higher level, do they have any interaction at all with the electrons? I wonder because I have also read the an electron cannot "reflect" an photon. Only absorb or emit an photon.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wille said:
Summary: My question is about what happens when incoming light hits a solid material and give that material its color. Is it true that those photons which are absorbed (i.e. have enough energy to move an electron in the solid material to a higher level (excite)) are never to be seen again? At the same time I read that electrons always fall back to the ground state and then the photon are emitted again. Which one is it?

Both. I'm not sure why you the fact that an electron absorbs a photon contradicts the fact that an electron can emit a photon.

Perhaps it's the phrase the photon that is your problem. The original photon is gone. If the electron goes back to the ground state, a new photon is created with the same energy as the original photon. If the electron falls to some intermediate state, with less of an energy jump, then a new photon with less energy is created.

Or perhaps you're asking why the emission spectrum isn't exactly the same as the absorption spectrum.

The details of this answer depend on exactly what property you're talking about. Let's talk about how things look different colors in sunlight. Sunlight is a broad continuous spectrum created by a process called "blackbody radiation".

In many materials there are lots of those intermediate energy states, especially of molecules in solids. So the excited electron will often transmit its energy to other atoms and molecules in those smaller energy jumps, which are often in the infrared and generate heat. So when light is absorbed by a colored material, the material gets warmer.

What about a laser or an LED? Those are single-wavelength sources whose emission corresponds to some energy jump of the electrons. Some other mechanism is used to excite the electrons, and then they fall down to the ground state, emitting the characteristic wavelength.

• Informative
Likes geoelectronics and Wille
Ah, thank you for the answer. Yes, I think the line you wrote "Or perhaps you're asking why the emission spectrum isn't exactly the same as the absorption spectrum" is spot on. Now I think I understand. The new photon can be emitted with a frequency belonging to the (for instance) infrared spectrum and that is why I cannot see the emitted photon. I had not considered the intermediate states in solids which you describe. Thank you again, a really great answer.

Likes geoelectronics
RPinPA said:
Both. I'm not sure why you the fact that an electron absorbs a photon contradicts the fact that an electron can emit a photon.

Perhaps it's the phrase the photon that is your problem. The original photon is gone. If the electron goes back to the ground state, a new photon is created with the same energy as the original photon. If the electron falls to some intermediate state, with less of an energy jump, then a new photon with less energy is created.

Or perhaps you're asking why the emission spectrum isn't exactly the same as the absorption spectrum.

The details of this answer depend on exactly what property you're talking about. Let's talk about how things look different colors in sunlight. Sunlight is a broad continuous spectrum created by a process called "blackbody radiation".

In many materials there are lots of those intermediate energy states, especially of molecules in solids. So the excited electron will often transmit its energy to other atoms and molecules in those smaller energy jumps, which are often in the infrared and generate heat. So when light is absorbed by a colored material, the material gets warmer.

What about a laser or an LED? Those are single-wavelength sources whose emission corresponds to some energy jump of the electrons. Some other mechanism is used to excite the electrons, and then they fall down to the ground state, emitting the characteristic wavelength.

Again thank you for the answer. Just one more thing: would you say that this

https://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/light/Lesson-2/Light-Absorption,-Reflection,-and-Transmission
is a correct way of describing what is happening? Is it correct to think in terms eigenfrequencies of the electrons?

Thanks.

For the semiclassical (i.e., classical em. field, quantized matter), see my Insights article on the photoeffect:

https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/sins-physics-didactics/
For a full quantum treatment but in non-relativistic approximation for the matter fields of radiation, see

S. Weinberg, Lectures on Quantum Theory, Cambridge University Press

1. What is the relationship between electrons and photons?

Electrons and photons have a fundamental relationship in the field of quantum mechanics. Electrons are subatomic particles that carry a negative charge, while photons are packets of electromagnetic energy that have no mass. Electrons can interact with photons through absorption and emission processes.

2. How do electrons absorb photons?

When an electron absorbs a photon, it gains energy and moves to a higher energy state. This process is known as excitation. The energy of the photon must match the energy difference between the electron's initial and final energy levels for absorption to occur. The absorbed photon ceases to exist as a separate entity and its energy is transferred to the electron.

3. How do electrons emit photons?

Electrons can also emit photons when they move from a higher energy state to a lower energy state. This process is known as de-excitation. The energy of the emitted photon is equal to the energy difference between the electron's initial and final energy levels. The emitted photon carries away the excess energy and the electron returns to its original energy level.

4. What factors affect the absorption and emission of photons by electrons?

The absorption and emission of photons by electrons are affected by several factors. These include the energy of the photon, the energy levels of the electron, the type of material the electron is in, and the presence of other particles that may interact with the electron.

5. How is the absorption and emission of photons by electrons important in everyday life?

The absorption and emission of photons by electrons have important applications in everyday life. For example, it is the basis of how solar panels work to convert sunlight into electricity. It is also used in technologies such as lasers, LEDs, and fluorescent lights. Understanding this process is crucial for advancements in fields such as telecommunications, medicine, and energy production.