Can plasma cutter be used for sputtering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using a small plasma cutter setup for etching and sputtering, as well as exploring the use of plasma spraying for creating longer lasting atomic force microscope probes. Plasmas are commonly used for these purposes, with some variations such as using lasers, electron beams or ion beams for sputtering. Plasma spraying is also known as physical vapor deposition and is different from chemical vapor deposition in which the vapor chemically reacts with the substrate. A potential resource for further information on this technology is provided.
SupaVillain
Hi there, I'd like to know if a small plasma cutter setup could be used for etching and sputtering... for example, finding a way to make a little plasma arc flow in air like a sputtering and etching beam. I doubt i can use an arc directly without burning up and destroying what I am trying to work with

I'd like to make atomic force microscope probes cheaper and longer lasting just like shown in this video... http://ceramics.org/ceramic-tech-to...probes-for-superior-resolution-and-durability

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems as though this thermal plasma spraying might make it work, as it's used for chemical vapor deposition,

SupaVillain said:
Hi there, I'd like to know if a small plasma cutter setup could be used for etching and sputtering... for example, finding a way to make a little plasma arc flow in air like a sputtering and etching beam. I doubt i can use an arc directly without burning up and destroying what I am trying to work with

I'd like to make atomic force microscope probes cheaper and longer lasting just like shown in this video... http://ceramics.org/ceramic-tech-to...probes-for-superior-resolution-and-durability
Plasmas are used for etching and sputtering, although sputtering is often done with lasers, electron beams or ion beams, depending. I've seen examples of etching with Ar plasmas.

Plasma spraying is usually called physical vapor deposition (PVD) versus chemical vapor deposition in which the vapor chemically reacts (sometimes a type of decomposition) with the substrate.

Here is one example of the technology - http://books.google.com/books?id=k8fI2BH1KVEC&lpg=PP1&pg=PR5#v=onepage&q&f=false

1. Can a plasma cutter be used for sputtering?

Yes, a plasma cutter can be used for sputtering. However, it is not typically the best tool for this process as it is designed for cutting and not specifically for sputtering.

2. How does a plasma cutter work for sputtering?

A plasma cutter works for sputtering by creating a high-temperature plasma arc that can transfer energy to a metal target. This causes the target to heat up and release atoms or molecules, which can then be deposited onto a substrate to create a thin film.

3. What are the advantages of using a plasma cutter for sputtering?

The main advantage of using a plasma cutter for sputtering is that it is a relatively inexpensive and simple tool compared to other sputtering methods. It also allows for quick deposition of thin films and can be used for both conductive and non-conductive materials.

4. Are there any limitations to using a plasma cutter for sputtering?

Yes, there are limitations to using a plasma cutter for sputtering. It is not suitable for precise or controlled deposition, and the resulting films may have poor adhesion and uniformity. Additionally, plasma cutters are not designed for sputtering and may not have the necessary gas flow and vacuum systems for optimal results.

5. What are some alternative methods to using a plasma cutter for sputtering?

Some alternative methods to using a plasma cutter for sputtering include magnetron sputtering, ion beam sputtering, and electron beam evaporation. These methods are more specialized and can offer better control and precision for sputtering thin films.