Can Protons Interact with Double Slit Construction?

In summary, the construction of the double slits does not play a role in the interference effects observed when using electrons or photons. The behavior of atoms absorbing and emitting photons does not contribute to the double slit effect. It is possible to control for any interaction with the material used in the slits. The reason why photons or electrons cannot be affected by the slits themselves is because they are mostly empty space with different forces associated with them. There have been experiments conducted with protons, but they do not contribute to the double slit effect. The variable is still whether or not it is possible to determine which slit the particle passed through.
julmfyysik
How are the double slits constructed? If you use electrons or photons then they should interact with that material or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
julmfyysik said:
How are the double slits constructed? If you use electrons or photons then they should interact with that material or what?

:welcome:

I think you are aware that the slits are essentially holes that the particles pass through. Particles that interact with the material itself will generally not make it to the screen or other recording device behind the slits.

The construction of the slit barrier itself does not play a role in the double slit interference effects. The variable is whether or not it is possible to determine through which slit the particle traversed.

I read somewhere that a atom absorbs a photon and sends out a new one, and it is possible to say something about the material in this way. I guess it was Michio Kaku who said it. Is it wrong?

julmfyysik said:
I read somewhere that a atom absorbs a photon and sends out a new one, and it is possible to say something about the material in this way.

This can occur, true enough. However, this behavior does not contribute to the double slit effect in any manner. When light is used, the material used is not transparent. If there is any interaction with the material, the light does not pass through. Without going into a lot of detail, it is fairly easy to control for that.

I would love to know the details why photon or electron can't be affected by the slit itself.

As far as i know, atom is mostly empty space with different forces associated with it. How can you be sure about the interactions that occur?

Has anyone done an experiment with protons?

1. What is a double slit construction?

A double slit construction is an experiment in which a beam of particles or waves is passed through two narrow slits and the resulting interference pattern is observed.

2. What is the purpose of a double slit construction?

The purpose of a double slit construction is to demonstrate the wave-like nature of particles and the principle of superposition, which states that when two waves overlap, their amplitudes add together.

3. How does a double slit construction work?

In a double slit construction, a source of waves or particles (such as light or electrons) is directed towards two narrow slits. The waves or particles pass through the slits and interfere with each other, creating a distinct interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

4. What factors can affect the interference pattern in a double slit construction?

The interference pattern in a double slit construction can be affected by the wavelength of the waves or particles, the distance between the slits, and the distance between the slits and the screen. The pattern can also be affected by external factors such as vibrations or air currents.

5. What are the applications of double slit construction?

Double slit construction is used in various fields such as optics, quantum mechanics, and particle physics to study the behavior of waves and particles. It also has practical applications in technology, such as in the development of diffraction gratings for use in lasers and spectrometers.