Can Pure Water Fluoresce Under UV Light?

In summary, pure water can be made to fluoresce when illuminated by some particular frequency of Ultra-Violet light, specifically about 10 nm in wavelength. However, this wavelength is also considered to be in the Extreme Ultra Violet (EUV) range, which can also be referred to as X-rays. This can be achieved through the efficient excitation of water molecules using microwaves, which then emit higher frequency electromagnetism. However, it is debated whether blackbody radiation can be considered as fluorescent radiation. Additionally, Cherenkov radiation may also be a form of fluorescence under certain circumstances.
B0b-A
Can pure* water be made to fluoresce if illuminated by some particular frequency of Ultra-Violet light ?

[* No chemicals added ]

Physics news on Phys.org
Sort of.
Not UV, but microwaves efficiently excite water molecules which then emit higher frequency electromagnetism (infra red)

Last edited:
I think it can. If incident UV light has wavelength about 10 nm. The majority of the materials absorbs this wavelength and translate it to heat, then they emit blackbody radiation. But I think blackbody radiation can't be fluorescent radiation .

Do you count Cherenkov radiation as fluorescing?

abbas_majidi said:
I think it can. If incident UV light has wavelength about 10 nm. The majority of the materials absorbs this wavelength and translate it to heat, then they emit blackbody radiation. But I think blackbody radiation can't be fluorescent radiation .
And is 10nm in the UV range ? This question was specifically about incident UV radiation

Last edited:
phinds said:
And is 10nm in the UV range ? This question was specifically about incident UV radiation
Yes it is. EM wave with wavelength about 10 nm is called Extreme Ultra Violet.

abbas_majidi said:
Yes it is. EM wave with wavelength about 10 nm is called Extreme Ultra Violet.
Interesting. I've always thought of that stuff down there as X-rays. They ARE, but you are right that they are also called EUV (I was sure they were not UV). Weird that they have both defintions, but anyway, thanks for pointing that out to me.

1. Can pure water naturally fluoresce?

No, pure water does not have the ability to naturally fluoresce. Fluorescence is a phenomenon that occurs when certain substances absorb light at a specific wavelength and then emit light at a longer wavelength. Pure water does not have any substances that can cause this type of reaction.

2. Can pure water be made to fluoresce?

Yes, pure water can be made to fluoresce by adding a fluorescent dye or a small amount of minerals or impurities. These substances can absorb light and then emit a different color, causing the water to appear to glow under UV light.

3. What substances can make pure water fluoresce?

Fluorescent dyes, minerals such as quinine, and impurities such as bacteria or algae can make pure water fluoresce. These substances have the ability to absorb light and then emit a different color, causing the water to fluoresce under UV light.

4. Is pure water's fluorescence harmful?

No, the fluorescence of pure water is not harmful. The substances that cause water to fluoresce are typically non-toxic and do not pose any health risks. However, it is important to note that pure water does not naturally fluoresce, so if you see water that appears to glow, it may not be completely pure.

5. Can pure water fluoresce in different colors?

Yes, pure water can fluoresce in different colors depending on the substances added to it. For example, if a blue fluorescent dye is added to pure water, it will fluoresce in a bright blue color. Similarly, different minerals or impurities can cause pure water to fluoresce in a variety of colors.