Gas (DO) saturation under pressure in water

In summary,If you capture and deliver super saturated water to a nozzle earlier, it will help increase the dissolved oxygen levels in any subsequent misting cycles.
shane2
I understand that pure water that's being aerated will only take up just so much dissolved oxygen (DO) and that that depends on the temperature of the water. I see ranges of 14 ppm at close to freezing and around 6 ppm at 50 C as normal maximums.

I understand, too, that you can temporarily super saturate the water, like via electrolysis, to well above those levels, then over x number of hours, depending on whether it's being agitated or not, it'll inevitably drop back down to normal saturation levels for its given temperature.

I see tons of, what I'd call, nano bubbles, almost like smoke in the water, from electrolysis rising up and accumulating near and spreading out across just under the water surface, which I assume are the O, and larger bubbles, I assume are H, breaking the surface directly above emitter.

Please correct me if any of my assumptions above are incorrect or incomplete to fully understanding.

My question is; If I have a pump inlet pipe near the surface in the thick of those nano bubbles of oxygen and suck them into an accumulator or expansion tank that's being pressured up to 80PSI, that water then would stay, for as long as it's there under pressure, at that higher super saturated DO level, yes?

And, when I later spray it out through a nozzle into air directly from that pressurized tank to a surface a foot away, what would you guess of how much of that higher saturation DO % in the water would be lost to the air and not still retained in the water spray mist hitting that surface?

IOW's, let's say we'd sucked in and started at 30ppm DO super saturated water under pressure and normal saturation for water was 10ppm for our temperature, how much, would you guess, would still be in the water that hit the surface a foot away and not already lost in the foot of air after it came out of the nozzle? Assume, too, that nozzle, if it makes any difference, was emitting that DO super saturated water at 50-100 microns.

Thank you for any thoughts.

- Shane

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shane2 said:
My question is; If I have a pump inlet pipe near the surface in the thick of those nano bubbles of oxygen and suck them into an accumulator or expansion tank that's being pressured up to 80PSI, that water then would stay, for as long as it's there under pressure, at that higher super saturated DO level, yes?
Yes, if the pressure was high enough to keep the particular volume of gas dissolved in the particular volume at the temperature its being held at.
Each temperature and pressure will have a maximum concentration of gas it can hold at equilibrium. The total amount of gas will be the product of the equilibrium concentration and the volume. That would be the determining factor. If there was more gas than that it would come out of solution.

shane2 said:
And, when I later spray it out through a nozzle into air directly from that pressurized tank to a surface a foot away, what would you guess of how much of that higher saturation DO % in the water would be lost to the air and not still retained in the water spray mist hitting that surface?
Depends.
The rapidity of the dissolved gas concentration in a body of water returning to its equilibrium concentration for those conditions will depend on things like the amount of surface area of the water-air interface and the amount of turbulence of the water.
Various kinds of gas exchangers will have different rates of doing this. A trickle tower is supposed to get the water flowing through it to equilibrium after falling 4.5 feet. It would probably be faster if there was a counter-current flow of atmospheric air. The engineering details matter. A sprayer with very small droplets would probably be very efficient at getting to this equilibrium. It would expect it to be close to if not at equilibrium. Smaller bubbles would make it faster.

BillTre, thanks for that, appreciate the comments.

Ordered DO meter, already have everything else in place, will see then what the after nozzle spray fluid run off shows it to be.

This is for aeroponically and intermittently (5 seconds on, 5 minutes off) misting of roots in a mostly sealed up enclosed barrel.

I'm guessing if I'd earlier captured and then later delivered to the nozzle super saturated DO water, whatever does not then get
to the roots in the water, escaping in the spray, will, at least, raise O2 air levels within the barrel. That's also good for the roots
and for any later fluid spray cycles that have below saturated DO levels to pick up some additional DO themselves then, too,
with it being sprayed into and through that now O2 enriched air accumulating in there.

That's the plan anyways...

- Shane

1. How does pressure affect gas saturation in water?

As pressure increases, the solubility of gases in water also increases. This means that more gas molecules can dissolve in the water at higher pressures, resulting in higher gas saturation levels.

2. What is the relationship between temperature and gas saturation in water?

In general, as temperature increases, the solubility of gases in water decreases. This means that at higher temperatures, less gas can dissolve in the water, resulting in lower gas saturation levels.

3. How does gas saturation in water impact aquatic life?

Gas saturation in water is important for the survival of aquatic organisms. Changes in gas saturation levels can affect the availability of oxygen for aquatic organisms to breathe and can also affect the balance of gases necessary for proper physiological functions.

4. What factors can influence gas saturation in water?

The solubility of gases in water is influenced by various factors, including pressure, temperature, salinity, and the types of gases present. Other factors such as presence of organic matter, water flow, and turbulence can also affect gas saturation levels.

5. How is gas saturation in water measured?

Gas saturation in water is typically measured using water sampling and analysis techniques. These can include measuring the concentration of dissolved gases in water samples using instruments such as gas chromatographs or oxygen sensors. Other methods like dissolved oxygen titration can also be used to indirectly determine gas saturation levels.