Can Relativity and Quantum Theory be Applied to Infinity?

• Thread starter Adrian07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinity
In summary, the conversation started with a request for mathematicians to discuss the possibility of fitting the principles of Relativity and Quantum Theory into an infinite space. The suggested starting point was a line, and the basic principles of Uncertainty, Exclusion, and Simultaneity were proposed. The conversation then shifted to a discussion about the mathematical aspects of this idea and whether it could be applied to situations outside of physics. Some jokes were made, and the conversation ended with a defense of the original post and a suggestion to move the discussion to a more appropriate forum.
Adrian07
To those who have seen Toy Story please forgive title.
This subject has I believe turned at least one mathematician mad, so I am hoping there are some maths people out there willing to take a chance.
We need a starting point to get things moving either a line, a 2d surface or a 3d space as long as its infinite in all directions, I would suggest a line as being the simplist.
The idea is to see if the basic principles of Relativity and Quantum Theory can be fitted into an understanding of such a thing. I have an idea this may not be as strange as it first seems.
We need to state those principles first with a basic meaning of each so there is no argument later on.
I would suggest the following as a start, 1. Uncertainty, 2. Exclusion, and 3.Simulaneity, if someone would like to add a basic meaning, there are people more qualified than me for this, and add any others that may be of relevance and correct my spelling if necessary.
This is meant to be a light hearted discussion that may have the potential to go somewhere. It would be nice to get any arguments out of the way before we get going properly.

Physics news on Phys.org
It may just be me, but I have NO idea what you are talking about or what you are asking.

phinds said:
It may just be me, but I have NO idea what you are talking about or what you are asking.

No, it's not just you. I understand nothing.

phinds said:
Ditto.

Do you mean whether you can generalize GR or QM to situations that are not physical?

If so, then maybe the following is an answer. From mathematical point of view, you can do QM whenever you have a C*-algebra or an orthomodular lattice. And you can do GR whenever you you have a pseudo-Riemannian manifold. This is only mathematical though, but it might be interesting to see what the analogs of the physical theory are in an entirely different setting.

micromass said:
Do you mean whether you can generalize GR or QM to situations that are not physical?

If so, then maybe the following is an answer. From mathematical point of view, you can do QM whenever you have a C*-algebra or an orthomodular lattice. And you can do GR whenever you you have a pseudo-Riemannian manifold. This is only mathematical though, but it might be interesting to see what the analogs of the physical theory are in an entirely different setting.

you joking right?

Last edited:
jackmell said:
you joking right?

Not really, no.

micromass said:
From mathematical point of view, you can do QM whenever you have a C*-algebra or an orthomodular lattice. And you can do GR whenever you you have a pseudo-Riemannian manifold. This is only mathematical though, but it might be interesting to see what the analogs of the physical theory are in an entirely different setting.

Hmm... I tried to buy some of those on Ebay once, but the only thing in the box was a dead cat.

AlephZero said:
Hmm... I tried to buy some of those on Ebay once, but the only thing in the box was a dead cat.

You shouldn't have opened the box. Now you killed a cat.

please do not observe the cat.
it will change quantum states.

schrodinger_miscalc2.png

This thread is in a superposition of being about Toy Story and of not being about Toy Story. It doesn't seem to 'collapse' into one or the other when you observe it though.

hilarious,

+ 1/ sqrt3 lol cat

bp_psy said:
It doesn't seem to 'collapse' into one or the other when you observe it though.

No, it just seems to collapse into nonsense. Adrian07, are you getting the picture here?

I take it no-one has been following marcus threads on Smolins latest work about why these laws. The idea was to see if that question could be answered using infinity as a starting point or if those laws are required to make sense of our universe within an infinite one.
An infinity long line has no ends,( boundaries) or specific center just as our universe has no boundaries/edges and no center. By no specific center an easier analogy would be the line that describes the circumference of a circle has no specific center point. If it has no beginning or end then where's the center.
It would seem though that most have already made their minds up about such a discussion.

Adrian07 said:
I take it no-one has been following marcus threads on Smolins latest work about why these laws.

I have, and I've also seen a video where Smolin describes the ideas. I think it's interesting, but it's still work in progress and in its infancy as I understand it.

Adrian07 said:
It would seem though that most have already made their minds up about such a discussion.

I think the posters in this thread just expressed that they did not understand post #1 (except micromass #5, who made an attempt to put in on track).

There might be people who might have something to say about it, but to me it seems a technical discussion on fundamental physics may not be appropriate in the forum "General Discussion", I think - this is more "Beyond the Standard Model", isn't it?

EDIT: (I thought I might add the links for others who read this)
Here's the Smolin seminar: Pirsa: 13020146 - The universe as a process of unique events.
Here's the PF thread about Smolins ideas.

Last edited:
I wish to defend my position on this matter if I may. We have in this forum a thread about good writers and what it takes to be a good writer. I believe Adrian did not present the subject well and therefore was partially responsible for the mis-understanding. He mentions "Toy Story", the movie I believe, in the first sentence. The first sentence of an essay usually describes the theme of everything that follows so I take that to mean this is about Toy Story. Then continues:

Adrian07 said:
We need a starting point to get things moving either a line, a 2d surface or a 3d space as long as its infinite in all directions, I would suggest a line as being the simplist.

My question then is, "get what moving?" and "the simplest of what". Again, these points are not clear and should be qualified since nothing has come before this which might alert the reader.

Then goes on:

The idea is to see if the basic principles of Relativity and Quantum Theory can be fitted into an understanding of such a thing.

What thing? You have not explained the "thing" you are referring to.

And I could continue. The entire post is unacceptable from a writing perspective in my opinion.

It would have been much, much better to begin the theme sentence (first sentence) with something like:

"I'm interested in Smolin's new book "Time Reborn". See thread here <add link> and was wondering if anyone here would like to talk about it in an informal manner so I'm not posting it in the big house (Beyond the Standard Model)."

That's much better and would have avoided the misunderstanding.

Edit: Actually when I first saw the thread I thought it was about G. Gamow's book which I read a long time ago so I was interested.

Last edited:
jackmell said:
... The entire post is unacceptable from a writing perspective in my opinion.

+1 on that.

Ok the first line was meant to be a Joke for those that have a sense of humour.
The title however, which strictly speaking was the first line, was about infinity.
Has that cleared it up.
An anology A wood carver starts with a block of wood when making a carving not a pile of sawdust, why then do mathematicians and physicists think its easier to start with a pile of sawdust.
For those who do not understand the final carving represents the universe, the laws of physics the carvers tools, the block of wood infinity, the sawdust the piles of numbers you are trying to fit together.
Yes you are making a good job of it and may get the answers you are seeking, but doing it the hard way like a wood carver who has not discovered why his tools are the shape they are.

Adrian07 said:
The title however, which strictly speaking was the first line, was about infinity.
Has that cleared it up.
An anology A wood carver starts with a block of wood when making a carving not a pile of sawdust, why then do mathematicians and physicists think its easier to start with a pile of sawdust.
For those who do not understand the final carving represents the universe, the laws of physics the carvers tools, the block of wood infinity, the sawdust the piles of numbers you are trying to fit together.
Yes you are making a good job of it and may get the answers you are seeking, but doing it the hard way like a wood carver who has not discovered why his tools are the shape they are.

Go home poster, you're drunk.

MathJakob said:
Go home poster, you're drunk.

...and whatever you do, don't start writing equations. We'd hate to have to cite you for drunk deriving as well. :biggrin:

Adrian07 said:
Has that cleared it up.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, but I think the reason scientists 'start with sawdust' is because they want to know the fundamentals of the universe, so why not start with fundamentals.

So when solving physical problems, what would it look like to "start with the sculpture"?

1. Can relativity and quantum theory be applied to infinity?

Yes, both relativity and quantum theory can be applied to infinity. In fact, these theories have been used to study the behavior of objects and processes at both the smallest and largest scales, including the infinitely small and infinitely large.

2. How does relativity apply to infinity?

Einstein's theory of relativity describes the relationship between space, time, and gravity. It applies to infinity by predicting how these elements behave at extreme scales, such as the gravitational effects on objects near black holes or the expansion of the universe on a cosmic scale.

3. How does quantum theory apply to infinity?

Quantum theory explains the behavior of matter and energy at the microscopic level. It applies to infinity by allowing for the study of particles and processes at infinitesimal scales, such as the behavior of subatomic particles or the creation and destruction of energy in the vacuum of space.

4. Are there any limitations to applying these theories to infinity?

While relativity and quantum theory have been successful in describing many phenomena at extreme scales, there are still unanswered questions and limitations in our understanding of infinity. For example, the theories do not fully explain the behavior of particles at the singularity of a black hole or the nature of dark matter and dark energy, which make up the majority of the universe.

5. How does the application of these theories to infinity impact our understanding of the universe?

The application of relativity and quantum theory to infinity has greatly expanded our understanding of the universe and has led to groundbreaking discoveries, such as the prediction and confirmation of black holes and the understanding of the Big Bang. It continues to push the boundaries of our knowledge and could potentially lead to new breakthroughs in the future.